Main Menu

Pet Comparisn

Started by Vahlis, June 12, 2005, 07:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vahlis

I hear alot of talk about Mage and Necro pets being better than Beastlord pets (usually with tanking), does anyone have any type of statistics on how many HP's they have exactly, how much they mitigate damage, how often they avoid hits, or even how much more DPS output they have?
All I have in this world is my balls and my word. I don't break'em for noone, you understan'?

Iskandar

You can compare the statistics for the Beastlord warders as noted in the forums here:

http://www.beastlords.org/forums/index.php/topic,332.0.html

Against those of the Magician pets as noted here:

http://eq1.eqsummoners.com/viewtopic.php?t=9418

And Necro pet information can be found here:

http://www.eqnecro.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=196

There's interesting discussions on each of the three class forums in regards to their pets. In a nutshell, everyone complains about the other two pet classes. :-D
Wildcaller Iskandar Darkpaw --  80 Beastlord, Cohort Chalybeius, Cazic Thule

"Didn't ya hear? That which doesn't kill you makes ya stronger. So suck it up, OK?" ~C.C.
"That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger. That which does kill me I will hunt down after I respawn." ~D.H.

Thaeliun

I may be in the minority but in my somewhat limited experience, my unfocused 64 pet tanks better then the necro pets by far.  I've grouped with two level 70 necros, I never asked either of them if they had their highest level pet or not though.  In BoT our tank went AFK so we decided to let the 2 pets tank a few mobs while we waited.  My pet was better at getting agro and held up better.  I don't know if the necro pet was focused or not. 

In NC I joined a pet group with a 67 mage, 64 mage, 70 necro and 70 cleric.  They were agro kiting but soon after I arrived the necro decided we should let pets tank to give him a break.  I was told to leave taunt off so the mage's CoW DoPC focused pet could tank.  That little bear still took agro sometimes and when he did I think he held up just as well as the air pet or very close to it.

In WoS the same mage and a 67 necro were in group with a warrior, shaman and druid and me.  When we had an add, I would take agro to get the mob away from the tank and let my pet off tank.  Perhaps this last example is more a function of bsts being more able to withstand the beating while setting pets then of which pet tanks better but that bear certainly tanks better then I do.

My mage is only level 59 and I haven't researched the levels over 60 for him yet, so this may be way off, but so far it seems like we can heal our pets a lot better too.  All of that makes me feel a lot better when a mage crits for over 6k or a necro's dots kill the bazu that just gated with 15% of it's hitpoints left.

Bengali

Another thing to consider about all that is that the necros have different "classes" of pets.  For example, necros have a "dps pet" that is a rogue, and this is commonly what they use, especially when aggro kiting.  So you have to make sure that a necro is using their "tanking pet" before making comparisons.
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Rhoam

Hmm, my experience since around level 62 (when I started with defensive AAs) has been that my pet doesnt tank anywhere near as well as I do. At 70 with all defensive AA, and with the level 68 spell pet, my pet doesnt tank anywhere near as well as I do and I frequently have to move over to him on adds to divert aggro long enough to cast the new low cast timer pet heals. I dont know if that is just me or if that is everyone's experience. Also, my pet usually has conviction and is always focus with the don pet focus.  My pet has not been a viable tank for quite some time and that's ok, he doesnt need to be for the most part, I play with  a fine druid who will not hesitate to heal my pet or exodus if needed.

Gotog Ironskull

70 level I use my pet for a long term DoT.  ya I can let it tank if I feel like healing it constanly.  I think at 70 level with Focus Effect: Ritual Summoning on your pet it should be hitting for way more then 113.   But hey letting pet tank give me experance at playing a cleric.  So not all a total lose.  Waiting to see just what they do with Beastlords this upcoming Patch on June 22. 

Gotog IronSkull
70 Oger Beastlord
Me Droppings

Dreead

Level 70 pet with riual summoning hits for 105, 117 with growl of the panther

Latang

Level 70 pet with Servant of Chaos focus hits 108... <Insert focus scaling rant here>

Train Engineer, Chief Hermit of <Mystic Nobles>

Thaeliun

The fact that my unfocused pet seems to tank so well to me must mean that I am a freaking sally :(

Still even if I could tank somewhat better then I do now, I think I would continue to have my pet offtank adds as a rule.  Normally when I am using tank to offtank an add, it's because I can keep the pet healed while our healer focuses on the tank.  If the healer has plenty of mana to heal myself and the tank then I would normally let the tank keep agro on both mobs anyway.

I'm curious what zones your level 70 pets are having a hard time tanking in.  My little level 60 (64 pet spell) was holding up well in WoS and his HP buff was PoT9.  He  was wearing a crystal belt and summoned plate armor and the mobs had a big shammy slow on them but still it was WoS. 

More to the point of the thread.  In the examples I noted above, I would have to guess that the necros all were using their highest DPS pet.  (I didn't even know that they had pets mroe specifically designed for tanking)  In all situations, the necros were part of a group where they should not have expected much need for their pets to tank.

Gotog Ironskull

I keep growl of lepord or what ever that DoN spell on consantly Bear Hits for 113 if ya want I can Paste a complete fight cycle here.

with out it it is 105.

Gotog IronSkull
70 Oger Beastlord
Me Droppings

Shieara

My general experience has been for tanking,  mage pet > beastlord pets > necro pets. 

In a way this kind of makes sense, at least to me.  Mage pets need to be a bit heftier on tanking to make up for mages lacking slow.  Once, perhaps, their dps might have made up for this fact but these days mobs just hit too hard.  The necro playstyle doesn't seem to need a tanking pet as much...all the necros I know kite or root/rot.  But comparing pets is opening a huge can of worms because it seems like noone is satisfied with their pets.  It's also kind of hard if you're comparing dps, because it varies depending on what pet focus you are using and which of the pet aa you have. 

On a totally random note though our pet seems to outtaunt both necro and mage pets.  In a mixed group it seems my Warder always gets aggro, though maybe this is because I have 1.5 and most of the mages/necros I have been grouping with don't.  Also, Fluffy seems to get summoned on raids pretty frequently before a lot of players.

It's kind of a moot point because I think most beastlords outtank their pets these days, including myself.  I do still use mine to offtank though...sort of.  Since I have the pet focus command I set adds up like this.

W=warder
X=mob
M=me

X1
W
X2
M

That way the pet can offtank one but we are still focusing on one mob.  Kind of minimizes the healing I have to do (it's not tanking as long as if it had to offtank the whole fight) as I can just use pet mend or let it regen after.  This is while solo or duo though.

sunkash

"You can compare the statistics for the Beastlord warders as noted in the forums here:"

That's a good reference for ancient history, very little to no info on 68-70 pets with without focus are
on that chart, we could really do with a more updated chart.
Same goes for Mage link, that info is pre level 66-70, and dated, necro has recent date, to the post, but still max
level 65.

I've got the 68 pet with DPOC, and from my observations and tests, is a real disappointment compared
to our 64 pet; mages and necros continue to get pets every level or 2 from 66-70 while we get just 2, think we
really should have gotten this 68 pet at 66, with a better one at 68. Now I'm reading the next, and most likely
only better focus I will ever see, the regen rate is either nerfed, or broken doesn't really make me a happy camper
in the pet department.

neight

70 pet hits for 102 with Growl of the Beast and Minion of Eternity. I'm told it cons even to 66.

Neight
Neight Wulfe <Requiem>
75 Barbarian Beastlord
The Tribunal