Main Menu

Offhand -- same ratio but one has better delay other has better damage?

Started by bobokatt1970, April 28, 2010, 10:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobokatt1970

As the post and I have had 1000 answers to this from so many different folks,  offhand weapon... 2 to choose from. Both have pretty much the same damage/delay ratio.  One has a much higher damage 78 and other has a lower total damage but has a way way better delay.  Again the ratios are the same... it was always my understanding that if ratio was the same, go for the higher end/total damage.  Is this still correct? or if the ratio is the same even if offhand, go for the way way faster weapon (better delay), although lower damage?

Khauruk

Faster in mainhand if the ratio is almost identical.  It will gain much more from the damage aug in that weapon, and gain a touch of dps from more times you apply the damage bonus/hSTR.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Nusa

For the general case, where you play dps from behind, I agree with Khauruk. You now have 1002 opinions. Or do ours count more?

Of course, if your role is tank, then a whole different set of criteria apply. First off, when tanking, staying alive and holding aggro is usually more important than dps. In this case, having a slower weapon main-hand will reduce riposte damage from the mob. (And having a higher damage weapon mainhand will also increase riposte damage from you.)

Another case where a slow (or even a non-weapon) mainhand is useful is when fighting mobs with a huge damage shield. We can buy AA to make the off-hand immune to damage shields, but not for the main-hand.

bobokatt1970

Well I should have elaborated... the main hand is faster still... 19 delay.  I was wondering about the secondary weapon. If ratio is put aside, and by that I mean the 2 weapons that I have to play with for SECONDARY are both the same ratio, is a higher damage weapon better even though the delay is worse or would I still be better off putting in another 19 delay weapon in the secondary slot with the same ratio as the higher damage weapon?  Nothing to do with primary.  Primary is way better than both the weapons I have to play with in secondary.

Grbage

The offhand first tracks the weapon delay, when the timer is met a dual wield skill check is done and if that passes you swing. So with ratios being equal a faster offhand will do more dps then a slower one just like in mainhand due to the fact you swing just that many more times. This can be tested by doing a /testcopy over to test server and parse it against test dummies. Just place a non weapon in MH and check it for yourself.
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv

bobokatt1970

Grbage

Should also add. If one has a far superior proc to the other it will weigh in favor of the better proc weapon as in 50dd vs 200dd. This is evm more true in MH since it procs twice as much as OH. But, if you toss in a damage aug that will favor the faster weapon more then the slow weapon.
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv

Khauruk

Quote from: Grbage on April 29, 2010, 04:49:46 AM
Should also add. If one has a far superior proc to the other it will weigh in favor of the better proc weapon as in 50dd vs 200dd. This is evm more true in MH since it procs twice as much as OH. But, if you toss in a damage aug that will favor the faster weapon more then the slow weapon.

True, but I'd only look at this in virtually identical weapons.  First, procs don't vary much anymore (only one I look for is lifetap, like most people).  Second, procs make up a miniscule portion of dps even w/ maxed CE, WA, etc.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

bobokatt1970

To be more specific, 2 offhand (secondary) weapons.  one is 19/59 auged, other is 25/78 auged.  First is 3.105 other is 3.12.  Proc is exact same.  Massive discrepancy in actual damage but the ratio is virtually the same.

Khauruk

it'll take you 20+ minutes to parse a difference w/ either configuration, honestly.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

bobokatt1970

aye well said.. might as well sell back the 25/79 item to the MMM classic guy... at least i can get something else if I can find something worth my while.  Thanks