Main Menu

TASKS

Started by Dakat, September 15, 2004, 07:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakat

I went to Shar Vahl today and used find and there were TaskMasters on track. I approached 2 of them near one of the outside buildings. After hailing both, they said they have no tasks available to me.  However, at the end of their message, they said I needed to visit Dreadlands and speak to 1 of 3 people here.

I port myself over and bring up "Find" and there are 3 Taskmasters on the list. I selected the first guy, sorry didnt get his name. I followed the path.

I haided him and he brought up a Task window. Also you can use SHIFT-Q to bring up the task window.  I accepted the first task he had.  It was ranked "Medium". I'm guessing thats a time/difficulty level indicator for that specific one.

After taking the first one, it gave 4 other mini tasks to complete.

Task 1, The first was to talk to someone just a little distance from where they were. She was in the Pryamid.

Task 2, I talked to the lady in the Pryamid. She spoke of something going on in Chardok and directed me to go here and have a look around.  I ran on over to Chardok.  Nothing was suspicious at the time. As I am warmly to Chardok residence, I walked down the path that leads toward the exit. As I approached the path where it leads past the door, I got a message saying the task was complete and got another mini task.

Task 3, This didn't involve hailing anyone, it just automatically poped up in my Task Window.  It said to kill 10 Reanimated Skeletons. In the task window, it gave a 0 of 10 counter. I went around and killed any reanimated mobs that were around. They are everywhere as far as I could tell. I went to the Grave Master area and killed the 6 here then waited about 10 min for more to spawn and killed them.  Once I had killed 10, I got another task complete message.

Task 4, After killing the 10 skeletons another message came up saying I needed to talk to the original task master again.  I ported myself over again and went to the guy.  After hailing the guy, he gave me some exp. I didn't look to see how much exp it gave. He also gave me 116pp and some gold and silver.

After the task was complete I hailed him again and he had a new task.

I had to leave so I didnt accept the new task, but it involved finding a Taskmaster in Frontier Mountains.  I'll check this out tomorrow and let ya know the details.

Kinash

I know that there is now a named Iksar in FM right by the DL zone line. It would not respond to me via hail or clicking. He was Drk Blue 65. Where abouts in DL is the Taskmaster?
Kinash Kattar
Level 66, Khati Sha Apprentice
Tholuxe Paells (Bertox)
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=594639

Sardarni

I did a task yesterday, started in OT and the taskmaster was around the campfire in the city.
First one was to talk to Something Ripclaw in FM, she was in the South West zoneline to BW(?).  I hailed her and then got another message.
Second I went to Druga (NW corner of FM) and had to explore the dining room or something.  Foloowed others to the bottom of the zone where there are wood buildings and got my message.
3rd part was to kill 10 goblin fire (or was it flame) masters and they seem to spawn there in the bottom in that area.  I cleaned out some other mobs in the area and no flame masterss spawned.  A 65 ranger pulled 4 mobs and died.  I eventually pulled one flamemaster and it got me down to 20% health.  I'm  a level 64 with 76 aa and good bazaar gear.  There was a shamen/ranger group doing the task also and they had some multiple pulls.  I talked with them and the Shaman was doing the task and getting credit for the kills, the ranger didn't have OoW.  I don't know if multiple task people in group will get same credit for kills.

After another tough mob, I OT hammer gated out, not finishing the task.  There is no time limit so I might come back after level 65 or bring a group.

Sempai

I tested and can confirm that you can do tasks as a group. I know some had concerns about this, so I 2 boxed one. With one char having the task and the other not having it. I also made sure that each char killed one of the flame masters and I got credit both times.

So, you do not have to do the tasks solo, and you do not both need to be in the task to be working it.

And if you want the most flame masters, try camping the area with Flame Master Japal, since his PH is a flame master, you are certain to get at least one on each respawn, or the named (which don't count unfortunately). Just kill everything near him, as any of mobs can respawn as a flame master.

Hope that helps.
Sempai
Malus Imperium
Tholuxe Paells

Kinash

Quote from: SempaiI tested and can confirm that you can do tasks as a group. I know some had concerns about this, so I 2 boxed one. With one char having the task and the other not having it. I also made sure that each char killed one of the flame masters and I got credit both times.

So, you do not have to do the tasks solo, and you do not both need to be in the task to be working it.

I spent about 3 hours doing a Task that started in DL. Had to kill 10 Reanimated Sarnacs. Luckily there was a Ranger in the zone working on a similar one (he needed them too). We grouped. For each to get credit for the kills each person must hit the mobs at least once. The guy that I was with didn't get credit for one of the kills because he didn't attack (he was in range when it died). Also, for the Task I did I received a full Gold bar of AAXP and received 116pp (plus some nice loot from the Sarnacs!
Kinash Kattar
Level 66, Khati Sha Apprentice
Tholuxe Paells (Bertox)
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=594639

Mathrax

Do the tasks give any greater "higher" reward other than the experience and money from each single one? Would be fun with an item that grew better with the number of tasks you've done!

Vengyrr

Don't believe that tasks give an increased amount of exp/platinum the more you do them. I know SoE was considering adding a Task Point system similar to LDoN points, but that was later scrapped.

Tasks as they are, however, are kinda useless in my opinion. They are meant to be an opportunity for people to grab some exp/plat when they are LFG for a raid or a group in (most likely) LDON, Omens, GoD, or PoP.
If I were LFG for a planes group then, would I really want to go all the way down to DL, then to FM and after that to Droga or Chardok?  Not only does it take a while to just get over there, but these areas are so far removed from the usual 60+ hunting spots that most people that only have 45 mins would probably just go solo (if they can) in PoI or the like.

Reward-wise... not great either. At 65 I received 20%AA for the task and 116 plat, in addition to about 25% AA from the gobbies in droga and some random gems etc from them. So about 45% AA for an hours worth of killing, and 20 minutes of travel time. In the same time I couldve gotten about 70% in a good BoT group, or 60% off a hard addy with 100 points to boot.

Good for the non-soloing classes? Maybe. Good for the versatile beastlords, necros, etc? Probably not.

Just my 2 cents.

TheOriginalGronker

Quote from: VengyrrReward-wise... not great either. At 65 I received 20%AA for the task and 116 plat, in addition to about 25% AA from the gobbies in droga and some random gems etc from them. So about 45% AA for an hours worth of killing, and 20 minutes of travel time. In the same time I couldve gotten about 70% in a good BoT group, or 60% off a hard addy with 100 points to boot.

Good for the non-soloing classes? Maybe. Good for the versatile beastlords, necros, etc? Probably not.

I don't think taks are around to replace 'regular' means of xping, but rather as variety for people that don't go for that sort of thing and still get decent benefits.  Also, you can always get yourself tasks for places that you'd normally go to and just get a 'bonus' when you've killed/explored appropriately - your droga example is great as its a nice place to go for the more casual players.

MowtaynLyoness

Semp, when you 2-boxed the task, were you and your significant other (the one you were 2-boxing) already grouped before getting the task?

as well, did the character who didn't have the task get messages about the task?

trying to figure out why my cleric didn't get the task exp when I two-boxed

(btw, if you get the reanimated one in chardok, being ally shears a good 2 hours off the task LOL)

Sempai

Yes we were grouped when I got the task.

The char that did not hail was not given any messages about the task. Druid was oor though, since KoS in OT.

Seems only the toon that asks for the task gets it, which is what I expected. Since druid was kos, I did not try to get it, but it would have been nice.
Sempai
Malus Imperium
Tholuxe Paells

Eatbugs

QuoteTasks as they are, however, are kinda useless in my opinion. They are meant to be an opportunity for people to grab some exp/plat when they are LFG for a raid or a group

This was what I thought tasks were for as well.  Either I was mistaken, or they're ludicrously unbalanced.  For instance, I did a couple of tasks in Beta with my 54 Bard - nothing too tough, a bit of running around and some killing.  I tried two in a row the other day after Omens went live with the same character.  Results?

1) a "medium" task - second stage was to kill 10 mobs in HS.  Granted they were entrance spawns or close to it, but I would have had to spend a few hours to get the key first, and Bards don't solo too well indoors...

2) A "short" task - second stage was to explore the Royal Library in Chardok.   At 54.  This is a short solo mission??

I really have no clue what they intended for tasks at this point - it certainly wasn't something to solo in limited time or when you were lfg.
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

Sardarni

Yea, my 64 beast is trying to kill the 10 flamemasters in druga(nurga? whatever), geez, I'll go back in a level or 2.

So I try my 53 Druid, get the one in Chardok,  yea right.  Quit that.
Next task I do is in TD and kill 10 swabbys and loot 4 FS scimtars.
It's not too dificult to get to TD as a Druid and I find them on a bunch of shipwrecks just west of center.  There are 5 spawns of Gunthak Swabbys or Gunthak Pirates.  Killed about 10 Pirates (they are toughter) and 20 swabbys, only 2 FS.  I usually root rotted them, but sometimes they will break root and come into water, so I have to cast under water, etc.
I got tired of waiting to get FS Scimtars to drop so I went around looking for an easier mob with the scimtars to see if I get credit.  I might try freeport guards.

As for XP, my druid was getting 1% regular xp per kill, but it would take about 3 sets of dots to take down.  And I don't think I can quad kite them, but I might try pulling one and just see if I can use the AOE spell only to kill it.  Kinda of tough in water

Zashir Swiftpaw

Are there any other tasks than the Droga flame master one from 63-65?  I can only seem to get that one when I talk to the task masters.

Dakat

It depends on who you talk to?

I did the first 2 from the one guy in DL.  As i mentioned above in the original post.  When I completed the tasks he only had one more task available to me. I took that. Again he directed me to a guy in FM. This guy is at the zone south west on map standing at the entrace to the zone to Burning Woods. This guy directed me into Temple of Droga to kill flamemasters.  I went there and there were several people already in the zone doing the same thing.  A couple of us "which none I had ever met before" grouped up and began killing everything in the area waiting for flamemasters spawns.  As we killed each one, even though we each had selected the tasks at different times places, our individual counters incremented.  So if you want to do the tasks together with someone else, you will have to let them get the same task that you get. Then group up and go do it.

I didnt compete the task, I just abandoned it. When on my way to grouping in OOW.  
I assume that perhaps once you have completed the tasks from each taskmaster in each zone, your difficulty might increase. "Pure Speculation" at this point however.

Oiingo

The flipside to this thread is that tasks really aren't worth it once you're higher level and/or have raid-type gear, as was mentioned previously.  I've tried a few with my 67 beastlord/65 druid combo and they are simply too easy with too little reward. 'Tis a shame because I always enjoy these quirky sorta' things and really had some high hopes.

Has anyone attempted more than 10 or 20 to see if any harder ones cycle through?
Predator Oiingo Boiingo (80 beasty) of <Triality> on Maelin Starpyre