Main Menu

TASKS

Started by Dakat, September 15, 2004, 07:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hughman

Quote from: Vengyrr...but these areas are so far removed from the usual 60+ hunting spots...
Therein is the flaw in your argument.  The tasks (and the Devs have specifically said so on several occasions) are NOT designed for characters over level 60.  They are for people up to level 60, who are either only on for a short time, or are waiting for something (like a group).  Looks like several people ended up finding groups while doing the tasks, so that was a sucess there.  And the areas described are near or in some of the hot spot zones for the 50s crouwd.

You don't like this?  Suffer, preferably in silence.  SoE FINALLY did something for hte lower level characters, it isn't for your end game characters. So suck it up and go play in your new zones (I hear WoS is a popular place to die)

Tahnel 55 BL on Prexus.

Hereki

Your information is out of date.

At one point, tasks were going to be up to level 50.  Then they extended that to level 65.  So all the tasks for the extra levels were added.  Then, a couple of days before release, tasks were extended to level 70 - but I think this was by allowing higher level characters to take level 65 tasks.

Keeping tasks away from "normal" 65 hunting spots is a good thing; in fact, they seem to concentrate on my personal favourite level 65 solo hunting spots: Nurga, Droga, Howling Stones, Chardok.

Moonfire

I am only 41 and tried a task out of BB.  I enjoyed running through it since it took me to zones I have not been to, or just passed through to get to a group.  They made OOW desirable and worth my $30 since i am not of level to hit the content of the expansion.

Rkath

The only bad thing is they also said you can do them solo. I was in Seb the other night on my necro and saw a 52 cleric there trying to do a task. She had to kill 10 jin shaman and collect 20 nodding lilies.

What 52 cleric is going to be able to solo in Seb?

kierstaad

Quote from: RkathThe only bad thing is they also said you can do them solo. I was in Seb the other night on my necro and saw a 52 cleric there trying to do a task. She had to kill 10 jin shaman and collect 20 nodding lilies.

What 52 cleric is going to be able to solo in Seb?

Exactly, my magician (63rd) was given a Droga task to explore dining room.  Yeah I could have invised down but then from reading it seems I would have to kill 10 goblins there.  Heck, the zone in gobbie was a taxing fight that left me at 60% mana and a partially healed pet.  I think the tasks are great up to around 40th level but then the "solobility" of them drops alot...but then SOE has said EQ was never meant to be a solo-ers game.  I guess that makes it had to put in effective solo content. :(

Hereki

Let's be clear on this: the task system was put in for people to usefully spend time while LFG, or for when their play time is limited.  That means it is to satisfy the officially acceptable solo content.  If tasks aren't possible solo, especially for a strong solo class such as beastlords, then the system isn't meeting its requirements.

One of the old SOE/Verant quotes goes something like "all classes should be equally balanced between solo, group and raid" - which is obviously not really true, even from SOE's perspective, but worth bearing in mind.  Seeing what has been done to all classes in recent expansions, but most obviously GoD and OoW, SOE are starting to change from this older viewpoint to tolerate less solo ability for everyone.

THe current position with levels 65-70 is that soloing is hard and slow to the point of not being feasible for even the traditional soloing classes.

Eatbugs

QuoteTHe current position with levels 65-70 is that soloing is hard and slow to the point of not being feasible for even the traditional soloing classes.

Not really - we can still solo a string of low dark blues as well as ever, it's just that those levels require so much experience it would take you months to solo from 65-70.  I've found some decent places for solo AA experience at 70, although none of them are in Omens.

I'm guessing the people who set up tasks didn't know a lot about what can be soloed at what levels, and by what classes.
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

Oneiromancer

Quote from: Eatbugs
QuoteTHe current position with levels 65-70 is that soloing is hard and slow to the point of not being feasible for even the traditional soloing classes.

Not really - we can still solo a string of low dark blues as well as ever, it's just that those levels require so much experience it would take you months to solo from 65-70.

Months...hmm...well, I very rarely soloed for normal experience before, so I don't know how this compares, but this weekend I was averaging 1% experience in 10 minutes in GE (level 67, non-center mobs, all dark blue).  1000 minutes/level = 16.7 hours...okay, yeah, the extremely casual gamer could definitely take months to level from 65-70.  If I went this route, with my average of 3 hours a night (including weekends, I tend to have less time to play on the weekend from other RL activities), to get from 0% into 66 to 0% into 70 (4 full levels) would take about 22 days.  Of course, levels over 67 will take more experience...at least for 68 I'm counting on having the new pet/haste/proc which would hopefully increase dps nicely and keep the rate of experience somewhat the same...

Anyway, not that I want to solo all the way to 70 but the stats are kind of interesting.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Hereki

Quote from: EatbugsNot really - we can still solo a string of low dark blues as well as ever, it's just that those levels require so much experience it would take you months to solo from 65-70.  I've found some decent places for solo AA experience at 70, although none of them are in Omens.

The differential between rates of gaining experience for solo versus group has increased considerably, because better content is avaiable, in terms of exp/hr, for general groups now.  Before you had to be Elemental flagged.  As you have found, you probably aren't going to solo GoD or Omens for exp, and the pre-PoP exp zones are largely reduced at 70.

QuoteI'm guessing the people who set up tasks didn't know a lot about what can be soloed at what levels, and by what classes.

Yes, and this astonishes me.  I mean, I am really staggered that they were so clueless.  I suspect it means that SOE people think that we can all solo far better than we really can, thinking we are all Time+ geared now (even at 50), which is far from the case.

kierstaad

Obviously the task system blunder is a sticky point with alot of people that bought Omens.  Now I wonder if SOE will blow us off, if anyone has submitted /feedbacks (like me), or if SOE will revise the system.  This could have been so great with just a bit more testing.  Another question popped to mind as I wrote this.  Did the beta testers feed any of this up the line and it was ignored or were they just as clueless?

Jzath

I have yet to hear anything good about the tasks when you have to go out and kill a mob.  Tried to help out a mage, kill some mob in Mistmoore castle.  My wife and I, (me 40 beast, her 40 chanter) joined him (40 mage) along with his friend (39 necro).

We were able to get inside the castle.  It is hard to lull the ones that add through the walls so at times the adds were plentiful as we plowed through them.  We got unlucky after a while on a second wave that caught us low on health and we wiped.

A couple of days later he tried again with 53 sk, I think.  

Not sure how the hell a mage at that level could kill 10 mobs in the castle solo.  I know my wife's 65 mage with the epic pet could have a good chance.  

One thing I have learned in EQ, greens can kill you if enough of them join in the fight.
Jzath, beastlord
70 bloodmoons
FV server
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1215044