Main Menu

Pet Hold Hotkey

Started by Kanan, January 05, 2006, 03:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kanan

For the longest time, I used the pet hold hotkey like this:

Line 1: /pet back
Line 2: /pet hold

And my pet attack key was just /pet attack.

Reading Tastian's comments on it, esp re: /pet focus made me decide to try changing things around.

I eliminated the /pet back from the hold hotkey & added it in front of the /pet attack hotkey.  I still will tend to use /pet focus, but I'm not as fanatical with its use as I once was.

Here's what I have noticed:

Before, esp on Ture (massive amounts of ae ramp that follows a zone-wide emote message), I would run away like a lil girl & try to get the pet to come & follow me.  I would hit my old /pet back-/pet hold hotkey... and it would end up getting eaten by ae ramp bcs it took so damn long to turn around & run back to me or to the guard position I set.

After I set changed the keys around, the pet has not gotten eaten.  It just turns & runs back to me or the guard spot I have set.  One of key words here being RUNS.  It actually runs then, esp when I've got the guard spot sufficiently far away. 

Now, here's my thots on this matter:

the pet is delayed by the /pet back in the old hotkey, it turns, then it has to think again and reset its commands due to the immediate /pet hold.  With the immediate pet hold, it only does the reset the one time & comes to heel as it should.  With the timing involved in these, that fraction of a second = pet's living or dying. 

I still tend to try to use the pet focus command, but I do not have issues atm with the pet attacking a target different than what I aimed it after at the present time.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

hakaaba

/pet hold just stops the pet from attacking regardless of whats on its aggro list.
/pet back off does all the aggro clearing

If you dont want aggro actually cleared then just holding it is fine but this occasionally causes problems.

Actually one thing to note is you had those reversed from how you should if you wanted the better hold button.

By doing

/pet hold
/pet back off

The pet would start running away immediately instead of waiting for the back off command to resolve.  Also your setup was prone to the pet being damaged between the 2 commands and still having aggro.

If you can remember to toggle it on and off every freaking zone (pet peeve hehe) focus pretty much solves the problems of pet aggro but *shrug* the extra back off after never seemed to hurt it imo even on stuff like Ture.

Arch Animist of Bertox (Saryrn (Mithaniel Marr))

Dummkopf

/pet back off on the hold key doesnt make any sense at all since it will immediately rebuild its aggro list while its on hold. Having it on the attack list however let it attack with a clean aggro list which is actually not a bad thing. Still like to use pet focus though.

Kanan

aye.. today, was messing around in ssra during lunch, farming scales... charged a 3 snake room & backed into a side and started beating on one on the side.  Pet auto-agro'd middle one (it was one that hit me first) and when I noticed it wasn't on mine, abt 60% into it, I hit my attack key.  It attacked mine for like 2 rounds, then the one on the far side of the room that had agro'd it and was beating on the pet drew its attention.  After that, i set /pet focus and didn't worry about it.

That's the only problem really with /pet back-/pet attack key.  It clears the agro.. so that if u had it dealing with another, OTing, and then want it to dps ur other targ, a coupla swings will shift it back to the OT'd mob.  Or, as is the case sometimes, the aeing mob.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar