Main Menu

Getting a new computer.. question about performance and choosing a class

Started by Vahrone, January 13, 2006, 10:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vahrone

First off, how yall doin?!

K now me and my bro play together frequently.. He has a 51 mage, i play a 61 beastlord.  My brother has been buildign his computer for the last year (we ran into financial problems etc...) Now in it, he has to my knowledge 2 gigs of ram, 500 gb hard drive, Geforce fx 6800 Overclocked, Windows xp home, and im not sure on the sound card. if i missed anythign just ask, ill get him to tell me.

Now i am gonna be building a computer over the next 2 or 3 months, im gonna use just about the same setup as him. Might shoot for a newer graphics card if possible.

How would the performance be on two boxing on either of those machines? I currently use a 512 ram, 80 GB Hard drive, intregrated graphics, windows xp system. ITs soo slow when im boxing, takes me a good 30 minutes to load zones at times. Hopign that would be alot better..?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ok now on to classes, im not sure if hes gonna be getting another account or not.. so ill let him ask in his own magey areas for that, if he decides to.

I currently play a 61 BST. I want to get a class that will make it easier for me to aa xp, maybe take a few named but nothin radical. Im hoping ill be able to gear my beastlord through guild raids, and will bazaar gear whatever class i choose to box with. Bst is my main concern :).

So im currently thinking of  a few different classes..

Cleric - Good heals, HP buffs, root, decent nukes, am i missing anything? Only problem ill have with this is lack of extra dps.

Druid - Good DoT DPS, good enough heals to get me out of jams, Snare/root, Good nukes, Regen Spells, Ports, tracking, kiting, if i need to. Might be a little hard to focus on though with my bst.. lots of stuff to do on them.

Wizard - DPS, ports, Kiting.

Shaman - Stat buffs, Better Slows, Hastes, Heals, Good DoTs, there resist debuff line of spells. Again might be a little complicated to play, but not sure.

Another beastlord - Maybe set him up as a caster and my other one up as more melee-aligned? Good dps from pet/dots/nukes, might be a little harder to play then the other boxes though with having to focus on everything.

So i cant really decide, im drawn between dru clr and another bst.. If anyone has some incite (sp) on any other classes, or more to add to these, please tell me, im so lost  :-( .

As always - Vahrone, your friendly neighborhood beastlord.

Tiroon

Quote from: Vahrone on January 13, 2006, 10:34:22 AM

How would the performance be on two boxing on either of those machines? I currently use a 512 ram, 80 GB Hard drive, intregrated graphics, windows xp system. ITs soo slow when im boxing, takes me a good 30 minutes to load zones at times. Hopign that would be alot better..?

Go for more RAM. 1GB will be ok for two-boxing on the same machine. How long are your zone times with just one account running? If you need to squeeze out some performance without spending the money for added memory and have an additional hard drive lying around you could try using it and keep the the page file and accounts on separate drives.

QuoteCleric - Good heals, HP buffs, root, decent nukes, am i missing anything?

Rez :-D
... and the questable clicky snare for Inny clerics.

QuoteWizard - DPS, ports, Kiting.

Snare
Tiroon Firefang
Vah Shir Savage Lord
Stromm

Ignorance killed the cat! Curiosity was framed.

Utqnia

When I was in the low 60's I two boxed with a druid.  It went pretty well, and I think over all this would have worked well.

My current 2 box though is with a cleric.  This allows me better HP buffs and unlimited healing.  Either of these two classes would be great additions.

It also depends on your brother.  If he plans on rolling a melee class (ie SK), then you will want a cleric.

Vahrone

On my old system, depends on the zone, the arena i load in 5-10 minutes, pok takes 15-20.. WoS/draniks/nobles takes anywhere from 10-25.. Glad to be getting rid of this system lol.. (thats with a single account running)

Hinthi

Quote from: Vahrone on January 13, 2006, 10:34:22 AM
In the corner of your monitor there is a little clock with icons by it.  You can right click on all those icons and exit/close them.  Do that and you should see a large boost in performance.  I am sure 30 minutes is an exageration but with your system it should take maybe a minute to zone.  Any longer is do to excess crap you are running on your computer which is slowing things down.
Luclin
Cantus Fidelis
Vanquisher Jearom
Wildblood Hinthi
Prelate Claimon
Grand Arcanist Xerksen