Main Menu

pet slower spell

Started by melikemilk, June 19, 2007, 04:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

melikemilk

Any know how long this last? Or any good info on this spell?

Rilelil

Heres a entire thread based on this topic http://forums.beastlords.org/index.php?topic=6936.0 Basicly it is broke they have done a small tweak i think but its still something i will not cast as its unreliable at best.

Timberghost

Gotta disagree here.

Steeltrap jaws was broken for sure when it first came out. 

Problem was it gave you 6 procs, and when --ANYTHING-- proced it ate a charge, so most of the time it poofed without doing anything.

The devs did their typical kinda / sorta / maybe fix and didn't make it eat just its own charges, but doubled the proc counter to 12.

Surprisingly, that makes it pretty reliable.  unscientifically, it seems to proc just about as often as fetter does.  At rank II it's what a shammy class slow used to be before they got their upgrade.  It's a 70% slow with a built in -80 MR.  Not too shabby.

Since they kinda fixed it, I've found it a lot more useful than it used to be.

I wish they had done it like they did fetter so you cast it once and it stayed up, but if you want back up on getting a mob slowed it works nicely.

Couple of things to watch:
1) it doesn't stack with hobble/fetter, so if you need a snare use that and your old Sha's legacy / Sha's Revenge pair instead.
2) It's a pet proc, so you're gonna need an audio trigger to know when it procs.  I use one on my slows anyway, so just add the text "is bitten by steeltrap jaws" to your audio trigger.  It lasts a minute after a proc, so you have to refresh it the way you would with any slow.

It's far from perfect, but since they added the extra charges I use it a lot and it's pretty useful.

Rilelil

Quote from: Timberghost on June 27, 2007, 12:52:52 AM
Gotta disagree here.

Steeltrap jaws was broken for sure when it first came out. 

Problem was it gave you 6 procs, and when --ANYTHING-- proced it ate a charge, so most of the time it poofed without doing anything.

The devs did their typical kinda / sorta / maybe fix and didn't make it eat just its own charges, but doubled the proc counter to 12.

Surprisingly, that makes it pretty reliable.  unscientifically, it seems to proc just about as often as fetter does.  At rank II it's what a shammy class slow used to be before they got their upgrade.  It's a 70% slow with a built in -80 MR.  Not too shabby.

Since they kinda fixed it, I've found it a lot more useful than it used to be.

I wish they had done it like they did fetter so you cast it once and it stayed up, but if you want back up on getting a mob slowed it works nicely.

Couple of things to watch:
1) it doesn't stack with hobble/fetter, so if you need a snare use that and your old Sha's legacy / Sha's Revenge pair instead.
2) It's a pet proc, so you're gonna need an audio trigger to know when it procs.  I use one on my slows anyway, so just add the text "is bitten by steeltrap jaws" to your audio trigger.  It lasts a minute after a proc, so you have to refresh it the way you would with any slow.

It's far from perfect, but since they added the extra charges I use it a lot and it's pretty useful.

I would Disagree  here the  fact you have to rely on a pet proc that may or may not land on a mob an only way to know if it does  is if you have a audio trigger set up makes it very unreliable and the short time the buff lasts makes it almost not worth casting as there are far more reliable means of slowing a mob and in group content and slow mitigation there isn't alot of difference honestly 5%  on a group encounter that in general is going to last less then minute 30 seconds on average if not alot less  a pet proc isn't reliable by any standard when being a group main slower as we as a class usually fill among many other roles.

The fact they "kinda fixed it"  means its still not working the way it was intended sitill. In my humble opinion till they actually address the problems and not just patch fix the real issues with the spell its not worth casting.

Grbage

Fixed? No.
Reliable?Yes.

I've played with steeltrap a bit. Cast steel trapon your pet then slow a mob on incoming with Sha's, you will get a wore off message when steeltrap lands. Alternatly, send your pet in then try and cast slow, good chance it wont stick and if it does, it wont be on for long.

Still, the only times I use steeltrap is when the tank is having agro issues. This could be because it is a casual tank without good agro. Or, when the tank just isnt tagging right on incoming and I have to take a few shots before they get it under control and the mob hits hard.

Almost forgot to add: My biggest complaint right now is two things. I don't use triggers so seeing if it lands is damn hard. Second, no wear off message!
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv

Vidyne

My only real uses so far...

- Raid content that needs all the slowing it can get.
- Multiple mob pulls where we are at a lack of slowing power.
(ie pulling three mobs with me as the only slower)

That is .... generally it as far as uses to steeltrap.  Any group named that is extremely magic resistant also gets bitten.
Generally if its something that would give a group pause to think up a way of dealing with the mobs(a magic resistant named... or a multiple mob pull) are the only times this comes into use.

And raid mobs... Fetter isnt going to be used.. so why not throw steeltrap on there to help the shamans out on a quick slow.

Bumkus

Steeltrap is actually a pretty good spell now.  Great for slowing mults without the aggro troubles from cast slows.

Couple things.

Get /pet focus as soon as you can.  You need this to move pet around to get multiple mobs slowed.

Download a Timer.  You can find lots of timers for your UI just using google.  You'll lose one of your UI windows but no biggie.  I mapped my timers over the MP3 player window because I never use that anyway.

Use audio triggers to catch the "bitten" messages.  You just hafta.  No getting around it.

Don't use high proc rate pet buffs, like on your epic 1.5 if you are relying on steeltrap.  If you don't use high rate procs, Steeltrap lands pretty quickly.

It sucks that you need these extra little crutches just to make this spell work, but it is worth it.

Rilelil

Thats kinda my point you need several crutches to make it work effectively I can do all of these things but with a decent tank you slowing multiples mobs with spell slow wouldn't be a issue anyways especially in group content raid content half the time our slow is resisted least where I'm raiding now so not really worth having up especially with 4 to 5 shammies in a raid all slowing.

The spell has alot of potential but the way it is set up right now I don't think its worth the spell slot that I could put a more useful spell into.

Zebrn Beasword

I'll never use this spell unless its fixed.  Its just too much work for a little better percent.  Hopefully in the next expansion we get a new slow. 
Zebrn <Undivided Faith> - Drinal

Humlaine

we are still waiting on Soe's word if this will ever be fixed or is even being looked into at the moment

Triland

I find this slow particularly useful when fighting the Sirens in The Buried Sea, as my slow often gets reflected back on me instead of landing...while the proc can be reflected back on your warder, it procs often enough that it is still far more reliable than casting..waiting for cooldown, recasting 4 or even 5 times to get slow to land.