Main Menu

Pet leveling with us.

Started by LufnisFV, August 19, 2007, 06:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LufnisFV

I made another beastlord, and as I was leveling, I noticed at level 30, the pet gets really weak (in terms of level).  Perhaps, we could keep the pet's "Power" the same, but upgrade the levels in comparison to the level we get the spell at.  The pet pretty much stays light blue, and this pet-level hurts how often it's proc buff will actually "hit" anything I'm fighting. This is what I've seen on Lucy:

Spell Lv. | Pet level
8/9
15/16
21/22
30/26
39/31
46/38
54/41
56/43
58/45
60/47
62/49
64/51
68/67
70/70
73/75

Note also, this is from the lucy.allakhazam.com site that says: Summon Warder: BLpet#  The number seems right in-game. So I posted these numbers.

I see on this chart, how the numbers start to hurt at 30, then JUMP back to where it should be at level 68.  Perhaps a rework (In just the level, mind you, not the pet's dmg/hp/ect.) should be more like this?

8/9
15/16
21/22
30/29
39/38
46/46
54/51
56/53
58/56
60/58
62/60
64/63
68/67
70/70
73/75

These numbers are generally what I think the level should be at. Anyone else care to comment about this?

Ganellon D'Alinor

The "1:     Summon Warder: BLpet75" doesn t mean that the pet is level 75 at least for the Spell 73 cause it s easy to check, when summoned the pet con blue so it's not 75 for sure. Pet level is 73 :)

See here http://forums.beastlords.org//index.php?topic=5888.0

Nusa

Your base assumption is wrong, that BLPet# always corresponds to pet level. Spell levels for some spells have moved since original implementation (we originally got ZERO spells until level 9, that level 46 summon used to be level 49, etc). Pet levels, mainly for the over-level-60 spells, have been tuned a couple times. But it's done by changing the contents of a server table -- the tag (BLPet#) associated with it doesn't change, and thus nothing should be inferred from it. Also, higher level pets can be summoned with focus items, which in most cases raises their level a notch or two. And, this is important, the level is only the most visible part of the upgrade. There's also it's hp, the dps it puts out, how well it tanks, etc. Certain levels the upgrade is huge and immediately felt(i.e. 60->62), at other levels you have a hard time telling (i.e. 62->64).

As for lower level pets, I think the way they are now is great for training a new player how to play a beastlord. Your first pet is great, your power doubles. But then as you gain levels, you're forced to rely more on yourself and less on your pet until the next pet level. The pet is always an asset, but assuming you acquire appropriate gear along the way, you will always be the more powerful half of the team after those early levels.

LufnisFV

Your missing the point, though... I was talking about ONLY having the pet's level raised. It's hp/damage, everything else about it, will stay the same.  This would still make the warder die just as fast, but his proc would hit more often.  I fight yellows, and the pet cons light blue.  I was watching, and the pet's proc didn't hit very often.  If the pet's actual level was increased, then the procs would hit, alittle more.

Nusa

No, we didn't miss the point. The point is that what you list as current levels is incorrect. You have the exact details wrong, but half of what you're asking for is already implemented.

Vidyne

The first pets are great and extremely powerful.
I can still remember my lvl 16 pet when I dinged 15, soloing yellows and reds with just 1 or 2 heals.
If we apply that same power at 75... to yellows and reds, it would cause a slight balance shift.

Con levels are a big, if not huge part of every damage, spell, resist, and many other formulas in EQ.
As a caster, once you get around 11-15 levels below your target, it becomes next to impossible to land normal spells.
As a melee, it also becomes harder to land hits, although they will still land for a few levels below even that.

The biggest notice of this is(as mentioned earlier) with the jump from the level 60 pet to the level 62 pet(spirit of arag).  I believe the hitpoint increase is not a substantial one, only a few hundred HP.  Also the max hit increase was not extremely high either.  Yet the level 60 pet that is beastlord buffed, has major tanking problems on 250-350 hitting mobs in Plane of Nightmare.  Just using PoN as an example.  However you can bring spirit of arag to Plane of Nightmare, which is only a few hundred HP higher, and under the same conditions it seemed to be at least a 100%, if not 150% improvement in tanking.

The level 60 pet cons even to a level 47 player.
The level 62 pet cons even to a level 60 player.

The pet goes from being light blue/dark blue, to conning red to most of the enemies around the entrance.

Of course this is just from experiences and assumptions, and what I've been told over the years.  As I don't have access to the EQ formulas themselves.

hakaaba

originzal luclin pets were assigned levels that were appropriate to their power.  Since pop, the levels have been assigned much higher than the actual power of the pet so that their procs can actually land.  The pets are equivalent of a mob thats 10 even 20 levels lower than itself in power, but cons higher for the formulas' sake.

Arch Animist of Bertox (Saryrn (Mithaniel Marr))

DabrixMGP

They should just make EQ pets = WoW pets.  Your pet in WoW is your level.  If you are 50 then hes 50.  If you 55 hes 55.  Thats the way it should be here too.

Inphared

Care to elaborate on why that would be so much better than the current system?

Khauruk

Quote from: LufnisFV on August 19, 2007, 07:35:54 PMbut his proc would hit more often.

When I was levelling, the biggest factor in how often the pet would proc on the mob was which resist I chose.  Mess around with it, you might be surprised.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

DabrixMGP

Quote from: Inphared on November 29, 2007, 09:49:20 PM
Care to elaborate on why that would be so much better than the current system?

Unless our highest level pet is level 80 then its already better.  Would also do away with crappy pets that one level before you get a new one cause hes always the same level as you.

Inphared

You could be level 500, but if your stats aren't up to par and your gear is beyond horrible then it means nothing.

That's a theoretical situation, but the same goes for pets. Levels do not mean everything. What matters is how well it scales against content, which currently, it does pretty well.

maxawesome

Quote from: Inphared on November 30, 2007, 08:42:36 AM
You could be level 500, but if your stats aren't up to par and your gear is beyond horrible then it means nothing.

That's a theoretical situation, but the same goes for pets. Levels do not mean everything. What matters is how well it scales against content, which currently, it does pretty well.

A naked level 80 can easily kill a 10khp level 1 char. See? I can make up ridiculous statements as well!!

I think the actual ask here is for smooth pet power distribution across the levels. It is a bit spikey, and there are those "why did I even buy this pet spell" moments, but honestly...it is a great deal better now than it was before they redistributed the levels at which one can buy new spells. My first beastlord had a hell of a time in the 40s until that level 49 pet. Now that it is bought at 46, that helps with one of the bigger dry stretches.

I agree that switching the pet proc spell for a different resist is one solution though. Just have to get past the mentality of "latest spell is the best/most effective".

Inphared

You completely misunderstood me.

If you have a level 80 Warrior with 10000 hitpoints, buffed, and a level 75 Warrior with 26k Buffed, which would you choose? It's the same concept I previously illustrated.

Nusa

That answer is situational...if the war is tanking, an 160% more hp might be more important than 5 levels, assuming equal weapons, skills and aa. If the war is not tanking, then probably the level 80, again assuming equal weapons, skills and aa.  Unless, of course, there are a lot of AE's going off, which make the hp valuable again.

Frankly, our pets serve in the not-tanking role most of the time.