Main Menu

How well does a bst pet tank?

Started by Shurn, September 15, 2007, 01:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pakratz

Riding on the coattails of major mage pet improvements, our new SoF warder can tank many times better than the old one.  The other day I was soloing efreeti in Atiiki (which is a great place for BL to solo for xp 76-79), and I got knocked unconscious.  Toto tanked the mob for a full minute without heals while I regened into consciousness and took over again.  On a lark I've put him on level 81 mobs in Hills of Shade and he lasted long enuf for promised mending to fire, so it's possible to pet cleric for XP again (tho slow due to his low dps). 

Vidyne

Vidyne's warder pet tanking darkroot warriors(sometimes two at a time) when slowed with promised mending and an occasional salve in direwind.  Three-pulls are fun while doing the cultural aug book quest.  Salve was very rarely needed unless pet was tanking 2.  Promised was enough 95% of the time, and this is the old promised, not the updated one... as I didn't have enough money to get it at the time.

The vinesnarls will still tear through any pet however.

Panthur

I frequently pet cleric goblins in lloping plains and the robots in fortress mechanowhatists. I add in swarm pet, dd and a dot to help with dps, not to mention i can rake and claw from out of melee range :)

sunkash

when you're saying the new pets capable of tanking some of this new content. is that with a whole bunch of the new aa's? Mine as I didnt bank aa's before the exp. is not really capable of any of the above mobs, or even much lower level ones "light blues" to 78 in new zones. pulled 2 spiders today in dragonscale hills. put pet on one , I took the other; promised mending, replenish companion, 2 pet heals, 1 heal from druid bot, pet dead, his spider at about 40%. maybe its the aa's that making the diff. for the ppl saying what it can tank?

Vidyne

My pet had Servant of Chaos focus and Companion's Agility 1.

No other AA to help him tank... except pet flurry if it helps him proc.

Newer zones have alot more attack/melee abilities than older zones.  They ramped up the melee abilities for new mobs in SoF... so I wouldn't expect my pet to tank much there.

Not sure about Panthur's tanking, but yes my pet did easily tank the warriors in direwind that hit for 1500.  They were slowed of course, and I put mending on him every 18-30seconds.

Jilen

Have the new pet and CoA boots for focus. Pet was buffed with beastlord, and cleric buffs. I pet tanked a spider in Vald Pit. Spider was dark blue to lvl 78. Pulled with slow, sent pet in, cast promise mending, stacked 3 dots on spider, then just sat back and pet healed. Promise Mending, and the new pet heal. Pet won, and I was at 9% mana left. Two others watch this take place. I was impressed, that the new pet could do this. Can not wait to get all the new pet aa's, as this should be easier. Especially if buffed better, and new pet weapons and gear.

But on a side note, tried the same thing a second time, pet got killed pretty quick, as slow didnt land on first cast.

Pakratz

Does the new pet get summoned with armor like mage pet does?  I would assume not and it's still worth getting armor, toys, and haste mask if you're planning on pet tanking.

I'm pleased with the pet - i think it's perfect where it is.  It's viable CC in emergencies.

Khauruk

New pet has one piece of armor...a cloak with different mod2's based upon what focus you're summoning it with.  So yeah...worth getting mage armor/toys still.
TURNCOAT!!!!!