Main Menu

How do we compare in terms of weapon availability?

Started by Sariss Bloodscale, January 27, 2006, 11:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sariss Bloodscale

I get the feeling more and more that beastlords have a pretty limited range of weapons available to us.  I've missed the meat of 2 major expansions, but even when Sariss was growing up there seemed to be very few options for weapons (although at the time we were really limited to h2h thanks to weapon skills).  While looking at people's magelo's, depending on what level they are there are a few weapons that consistently show up that everyone seems to use.  Once you hit level 70, everyone uses the same weapons depending on what tier your raiding guild is in and if you're not in a raiding guild you're back to the very few options.  DoD and DoN have opened up a lot of armor options but far, far fewer weapon options.

As I stand now, in a non-raiding guild, I'm limited to drops that come from DoD missions and 1-2group mobs, hence a smattering of qvic gear and my silk handled hammer.  My problem is that, while I see a lot of options to improve my armor, I don't have any idea as to what I can upgrade my weapons to.  Yes, 1.5 is doable, but what about for my mainhand? 

I'm not looking for equipment suggestions, what I'm wondering is do other classes (specifically classes who can use 1hs) have this same limitation in available options?  My gut feeling is that they don't, and I wonder if that's really reasonable in this day and age, especially now that piercing (although does anyone use piercing?)and 1hb have increased our potential choices greatly. 

I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, but I seem to be having issues getting reams of similar results when searching and I don't think that my exact question has been answered.

I have to leave work now, but I'm sure I'll have more to say later. 

Grbage

We do have a poor weapon selection but we are not alone. I was reading earlier a posting and Frodlin (warrior comm rep) was saying the best all around weapon for warriors for dps/agro/proc is from tacvi.
Grbage Heep
85 Beast of Torv

Kanan

for most classes there is a specific set of weapons that are best for them.  You can throw in some alternates that are almost as good as the average, or in few cases, a lil better... but in general, the good weapon selection is limited.

No real backing up on this, but imo, piercing will never have the monk/bst weapon ratios, bcs piercers are mainly meant for rogues.  And rogues have backstab & are intended to be the hella dps class and already are.  So their weapon ratio doesn't need to be that much better, not like the other melee dps classes to be able to keep up with them.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Tardar

The thing that kinda chaps my butt is the classes that always seem to have specific weapons.  Bards and Rangers mostly, but also some Rogues.  And then I watch them get those weapons for 1 DKP, while I have to spend big points to get an upgrade. So while a Bard or Ranger might be able to get better, there is a trade off for what they will have to spend.  We don't even get that trade off.  I just don't understand the justification for some of the single class only itemization.  What about the Shaman only BP in Ikky 4 I think? 

Sorry for the derail, but this same question has been on my mind for a while now too, and I'm still a bit bitter about it. 

Dummkopf

Aye, piercers will allways lack for non-rogues since you cannot give rogues the same ratios as other classes get because of the backstab problem. Since the devs dont do non-rogue piercers, at least nearly none, there wont be a reasonable one for us. 1hb and hth of course are 2 weaponclasses we can use and there are a few options, however not every available weapon will be the best for your personal playstyle and a few will be those items you see on lots of magelos.

Other classes have larger weaponchoices in theory, but not in reality for different reasons. Warriors of course have it pretty bad at the moment since there was no war aggro weapon upgrade since tacvi, for non-aggro weapons there are a few choices though.