Main Menu

Star Wars - Empire at War

Started by Et^Cetera, January 22, 2006, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Et^Cetera

I know that Lucasarts have thrown out some really shoddy RTS titles over the last few years, so was a little hesitant when I picked up the demo for this one. But thats the point of demos.. right? give things a try at no risk/cost.

Well. I quite like it.

It seems to be fairly standard RTS stuff, build bases/structures to churn out units/ships. But it has 3 layers, ground assault, planetary orbit battles and system wide planning, all which seem to gel together nicely. Resources seem to come via possession ala W40K-DoW

Interface is fairly intuitive and tutorials are good for RTS lightweights like me. I found it complex enough not to be "hack-n-slash in space" ala Diablo/Fable yet manageable enough not to be totally confused.

My only critisism is that space battles seem a bit messy and your ships tend to wander off once they have done a single strike when instructed to attack, but that might just be me. (I think my X-wings need Learner plates attached  :lol: )

There are demos floating around now on all the usual places (Fileplanet gamespy IGN etc etc) so if you fancy a stab at it, let me know how you get on.
Cailus EtCetera with her trusty side kick Elllerton
Always lost, somewhere on AB.