Main Menu

More haste, more mana?

Started by Tastian, November 04, 2005, 05:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kanan

This is an error upon the dev's part, making the potion more effective & efficient than the existing spell. 

Personally, I see 2 possible solutions, either/or set:

1) Change celerity, as it exists, to a 30 minute duration, no other changes

or

2) drop back the clicky haste potions to same duration as celerity

In this case, I am probably being a mite bit inflexible, but I have not mem'd that spell in almost 2 years now & I do not intend to ever mem it again.  I use my clicky tunic (yes, 10 sec, unfocusable cast time sucks, but its totally free) as my haste, i use it in my groups, i will only ever use my clicky tunic for my haste if I'm having to cast it.  Making as useful an item as that tunic is obsolete & worthless by making a new spell that is not on said tunic would anger me intensely.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar

Jkal_Shihar

Cass pretty much hit it. In retrospect its a low lvl spell to the chanter then shaman then us.

QuoteBut with that said, I think that before you start tossing around 385-400 mana figures for the spell celerity with an increased duration I think you need to stop and consider what a slap that would be to a level 39 chanter that also needs to keep 2-3 people in a group hasted with that same spell. Sure they would benefit from the increase in duration, but at level 39 they are still under the pre 50s INT cap so their mana pool is more restricted.

What we need if you cast haste for group (this is of course no other haster) is either the shamans version or a unique bst version. Since the potions have come out, I am in the crowd that would rather use that, its instant and lasts longer and is mana free. I'm actually getting ready to do what some are doing now, just supply myself with potions and hand em out to group members.
Animist Jkal Shi`har and tigger
Arch Animist of the Tribunal Server
My Magelo
*still my main since dec. 2001*

hakaaba

QuoteHaste - 50%
Target - Single
Mana cost - 385
Duration - 30minutes
Casting time - 6 seconds

Perfect! (maybe could go down a little in mana cost though)

Arch Animist of Bertox (Saryrn (Mithaniel Marr))

Tastian

What we have again though is a situation that will hurt/upset some people regardless of the change.

If we go for a bst only new type of haste then celerity is gone at 63, for this new haste, or we give up a spell slot later on from omens or something that will require another rune or something.  At the sametime if it's a new spell then some that use ornate BP clicky will have issue because they don't see any of the change.  Some might not care as they are happy with the BP clicky, but some aren't so thrilled with the 10sec casting time. 

The issue of this being a lower level spell for enc/shm is an issue too and that's why I said we have to keep in mind just how much room for manuvering there is.  Changing celerity would mean SLTW and WR would be tweaked, but most other spells could stay exactly as they are.

Although I do think the potion is the piece that is really out of place I hate to see something nerfed for the sake of balance.  Also, haste duration has been an issue for beastlords before the potions were even put into the game, so that is part of what makes me lean toward trying to adjust haste and make it more reasonable.

****READ THIS*****

lol, actually here's an angle I hadn't really thought of before, but what about simply adjusting the scaling of duration based on level.

Right now celerity, for instance, goes from...

12.7 mins @L39 to 16.0 mins @L50

If the cap on duration was extended up to 63(when bst get) that'd mean the duration base would be almost 20 minutes.  At 70 it'd be ~22 mins base.  If we simply tweaked the duration formula then it would be possible to keep the lower end duration about the same and make it so that at higher end(when bst finally get) the spell is more reasonable.  Same could even be done for SLTW to help with the crappy duration shaman see on it hehe.

Not so sure that'd fly either mind you, but it's another possible way to address what people want addressed without really interfering too much with what some don't want messed with.

Kanan

that, tast, is absolutely perfect & would require the simplest modification on the part of the programmers & devs.  And i think it would work to please most.

I know it would help to serve my needs and if it were followed through to the rest of the classes with the spell, it would scale in an appropriate fashion & be useful.

Now to get them to do similar work for the shm etc spells...... ;p

hakaaba

sounds minor, simple, and totally reasonable -- they'll never do it  :roll:

JK

It sounds like a good plan.

Bengali

Tinkering with the duration formula works, as long as it gets to be at least 30 mins at level 70.  I personally don't care about the mana cost that much, but if tinkering with the formula doesn't work and they want to just increase the base duration at all levels with an increase in mana cost, I don't think it should go past the low 200s (current cost is 185).
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Tastian

Right now celerity is:

12.7 mins @L39 to 16.0 mins @L50

If the base duration were bumped up to 13 mins and the boost per level were tweaked from the .3 it is now to .5 then celerity would be...

13mins @L39 to 28.5 @L70

at 50 it'd be 18.5 mins.  A minor boost, but enc have SLTW at 49 and shaman don't get celerity until 56 so the change wouldn't really effect enc that much(be a small boost ~15%).  It would, however, make things more reasonable for shaman that get the spell later and beastlords as well.  If they added ~15% to the current base of celerity that'd put it at ~213 mana which isn't much of a change and it might not even have to have that big a mana change with such a small change in duration at the lower end.

The 28.5 number is a bit under potions at 70, but if someone had 1 rank of SCR they'd be almost dead even with the potion duration and then it'd be a matter of money verse mana/time.  Having EE focus/tribute, higher than SCR1 would put the duration of the spell clearly ahead of the potion. 

Would that be close enough for most people or would you like to see an attempt at say 0.6 per level (up to 31.6 base @70), or something else?  Just trying to throw around some ideas here.  I do think this would be a pretty easy change to make and since the bulk of the change is at the higher end after most aren't even using the spell it helps focus the change in one spot without causing too much trouble elsewhere(I think SLTW should see a similiar change if this happened to also help shm, but that's the only other spell since WR isn't available to anyone else and shm already get a different haste after that).  *shrugs*

Kanan

aye.. this one would be great to see tast.  heh.. like I've said.. I'll be using my tunic for my clicky, so mana cost is a non-factor for me mostly.  The minor (~40m = 1 tick, even with my decreasing FT ;p) mana increase there would be acceptable if I cast the spell.  The duration increase in the scaling would be awesome.  Hopefully this would break into new school of thought re: other spells with similar scaling.... fat chance tho ><

Gunzak

I wish Iksar regen scaled to 70 as well.  I paid 20% more in exp to hit 70 then other races even though I received zero benefit from 65-70 since the regen did not increase.
Oh well wrong forum.

mogtoth1

As an alternative.

How about letting the affinity with our beasts work both ways. I would love to gain the benefits of Growl on myself and getting the benefit from the proc spells would be fun as well.
Tails high and walk away with pride

Mogtoth Venomclaw
75 Beastlord
Clan nan Dreolan - Prexus

http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1087128

jitathab

If they make that change I will be happy, as its what I asked for in a different way earlier :p

Skiendubh

Tastian

QuoteIf the base duration were bumped up to 13 mins and the boost per level were tweaked from the .3 it is now to .5 then celerity would be...

13mins @L39 to 28.5 @L70

Gets my vote, non threatening useful change IMO so devs have no real cause to object and lower level chanters/Shammies don't get hit with a gross mana cost hike.

Goradana

scaling it up to around 30 min that way seems great to me, good enough to make me and happy, and not to much to ask so that they can remove/change other spells cuz of it. late and tired... 28,5 minutes, with regular Ext item and all AAs would be like 42? minutes or something. thats good enough for me. Puts it ahead of other "short buffs" as my druids regen that lasts 34 and the DS lasting bouth 26 min

hakaaba

Have you brought up your 'make celerity scale to 70' idea?  How'd it go?