Main Menu

Necessary pet buffs

Started by Woadan, August 02, 2004, 04:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woadan

I have seen a few references to buffs which are not beneficial to warder such as stamina.  What other buffs are NOT necessary to cast on warder?  

Seems I also recall that pets share our resists, so is it also not necessary to cast spells such as magic resistance?

Thanks for your help!

Woadan
lvl 42 beasty
KB
Woadani's Bits

66 Beastwench
NYAA
Stromm

Oneiromancer

/wave to guildmate!

Other people can answer better than I could.  I know that at high levels, casting Dexterity and Infusion of Spirit is unnecessary; the warder's proc rate is maxed with just one of them.

Pets actually might not perfectly share our resists...especially if our own resists are buffed.  Coprolith did some testing a while back on this and I really have no idea where it is anymore...perhaps he will pop on and enlighten us...

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Tastian

From that thread it was said that pets not only use our resists when checking a save, but also our level.  It's possible that PvP just worked differently and trying to test in real situations is a pita.  Stamina is worthless, later on dex or infusion.  Most buffs are of atleast "some" benefit, but then again agility is of "some" benefit hehe.  I simply would rather save the time buffing and the mana.  My pet usually gets haste, infusion, rellic, vigor and maybe sow depending.  Everything else just depends on what I'm doing.  If your pet isn't tanking at all then ac/hp buffs are of no value either.  Some like to play it safe though.

Oneiromancer

Well he is only level 42 so the question was more on generic buffs and not the specific ones we get at the highest levels.

All you really need are pet haste, pet proc, DEX, and run speed (SoW or Shrew) if you are tanking.  If you think that he will tank then buffs that add hp and/or AC are useful.  Buffs with +ATK don't help pets as much as us, although they still help somewhat...although I don't think you have access to those yet.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Coprolith

In normal gameplay pets simply call the resist function on its owner for its resist checks (unless the pet has special resistances, such as a Mage's Fire pet being almost immune to fire based spells. In that case, you do not have to buff your pet resists, it would simply take yours at all times.

In PvP however, parses show that pets call the resist function using their own level, and the higher of their own resists or your worn resists. Buffed resists are not inherited by the pet in PvP.

I've found the original patch message from July 24th 2002:

QuotePet Resistance Changes: Pets will now use their master's level and resistances when saving against spells cast by NPCs (against PCs pets will use their own resistances and level as they always have) - unless the pet has special resistances, in which case it will use that resistance.

Now this patch message is either wrong about at least one point or things have changed since then (tho i can't recall ever seeing additional messages about pet resistances). Against PCs pets only use their own resistances if they are higher then the resists of their owners. This also sheds some doubt on the pets behavior against NPCs. It may be that "Pets will now use their master's level and resistances" refers to the owners worn resists and not his buffed resists. Its impossible to say for sure, parsing pet resist rates against NPCs is not just a pita as Tastian mentioned, its near impossible.
Im inclined to go with the original suggestion tho, simply because it is the easiest to way to implement programmatically.

/hugs
Elder Coprolith III
Trollie ferrul lawd of 65 levels (retired)

Xarilok

Well....

I have played for years, and for as long as I can remember, my pet usually resisted spells FAR better than me.

Lets say I am in Nurga (and I usually am), and I am fighting a tier 5 wizzie...

I tank him, he casts and gets me a few times for 50ish and a few for 200ish and maybe once for 300-400 or so...with some total resists in there too.

Lets say I just /pet attack him...

He casts and casts and casts, and my warder doesnt lose health until he runs oom and starts to melee, nearly every single time.

Now I know this isnt parsed, but I can say for a fact that my warder resists spells far better than me.
Venerable Xarilok Loungelizard - 62 Beastlord and Cat-Hater extrordinaire.

Coprolith

QuoteNow I know this isnt parsed, but I can say for a fact that my warder resists spells far better than me.

No, I'm sorry but you can't say that for a fact.

/hugs
Elder Coprolith III
Trollie ferrul lawd of 65 levels (retired)

Ekss

QuoteNow I know this isnt parsed, but I can say for a fact...
One day people will learn that you can't get away with saying that on this board :D
Ekss Vyxl
71 Beastlord, Povar

Giledorm

I have a spellset saved just for pet setup:

IoS
Dex
Spiritual Str
Kragg
Tiny Companion (swap for runspeed buff)
Arag's
Rellic
Pet Summon

He gets all of these everytime now.  Until there's a box in the UI that shows me his stats and that his dex is buffed with only IoS, he gets both. /nod. :)
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=395485&resize=true target=_blank>http://www.thirds.org/moose/newsig.jpg border=0>