Main Menu

(Another) DW Question

Started by Grozogre, October 13, 2004, 02:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grozogre

This new member says: Greetings, all!

Though I've done a bit of research, I'm at a loss with my freshly-dinged level 17 BL...

This morning, as soon as I secured my new level, I ran to Bazaar to spend the too few pp I had and purchase an off-hand weapon. I equipped it without a hitch.

Then, I ran to the BL guildmaster in PoK to train DW.

To my utter beffuddlement, my DW skill was already at 254 and the trainer could/would not train me in that skill. The 'Train' key was even grayed out though a skill-up was being offered for 150pp and change.

I zoned out, camped out but to no avail - my DW skill is still at 254.

I sent a few tells to much mightier BLs than I and all 4 said that was strange.

Is it?

If so, any ideas what I can do?

Jolrash

That is very strange.   You've got a couple of options on what you can do.

1. Do nothing
2. /bug and see if anything happens
3. /petition and see if a GM can reset the skill for you

I am curious as to see if you actually have a 254 DW skill or that it is just reading that you do but still lack the actual benifits of it.  I don't remember and hopefully someone can answer this but does DW skill also improve your attack?  If so, look to see if there is a difference in your attack with 1 weap and 2.

Quezic Grahl

Yeah, as long as dual wield is working ok, I'd just keep quiet and be glad you got 240 pts of free dual wield =)

negrismorte

It doesn't change your attack. You see the attack value for what is in the primary hand.  To check if it is working, make sure you have 2 dif types of weapons and see if the off hand type is swinging.

Jolrash

Is there a way to tell though if you have a skill of 24 or 254?  Hit more?  More attack?  What would be the signs for haveing a higher skill in it?

Tastian

You'd swing more with your OH.  Most parsing of DW is done at the ~60th level though and level does effect DW as well.  Long as you can equip a second weapon and its swinging I'd probably just let it go unless I noticed problems.  Probably /bug it too, but I wouldn't stress it.

Oscurro

It must be working at some level.  You can't equip an off hand weapon without having at least one point in the skill.
Predator   Oscurro Cazador  
Cestus Dei
Veeshan

Grozogre

I hit Paludal yesterday and, lo and behold, I was steadily swinging and hitting with either my off-hand 1HB, 1HP or H2H. Things were diying (or dieing? I never remember) *really* fast compared to Level 16.

Got frequent skill-ups in 1HB and 1HP, too.

However, I still don't know if anyone else has ever gotten this nor why.

I feel I somehow got a free pass to skip a long process of bringing up a skill, but won't complain about it  :D

So, for you younger BLs out there, I'll recap how it happened to me:

- Used Slam a lot (at least 3-4 to 1 over Kick) when I meléed (and that was a lot, too)
- Didn't know about giving pet wepons and couldn't afford Temperance so I levelled the old-fashioned way: reeeeaaaally sloooow
- Before Ding 17, all available offensive melée skills (except for Kick and 2HB), defensive melée skills and channelling skills were maxed for level 16
- Being poorly equipped, it took me a while to get my buffer into 17 and got a couple skill-ups in the proces, but can't remember which ones...
- After ensuring a Level 17 xp buffer, I went to Bazaar and purchased a Master's Eitchatka and immediately equipped it in my secondary slot *before* going to see the Ogre BL guildmaster in PoK.
- (Note: I had a Horns of the Spirits in my Primary when I equipped the ME and swapped out the HotS for a Polished Stell Ulak before heading over to PoK)
- Hailed him to put a point in Dual Wield but was already at level 254 in that skill

I think that's pretty much it and that it'll happen to others, the difference in melée damage output is amazing!

Be safe and have fun.

Edit: I entered PC from Shadeweaver's, as usual, and tried my melée skills out on the Fungal Phlarg Fiends (or whatever they're called) without a pet. Consistent hits with both hands right off the bat, whatever I had equipped in my off-hand.