Main Menu

What to look for in a off hand weapon

Started by melikemilk, December 17, 2009, 04:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

melikemilk

OK i know at this point i should know what to look for but i don't. I have the  knucklewrap from fire 2 for main hand with are 60/20 now my question is for a off hand what do i look for . I hear  look for the ratio or look for the lowest delay and then i hear look for the bigger dmg. SO my guestion is what do i look for lol.. as i see it right now i have 3 option (1)  the crystallin spear 56/19 (2)  the hook from pallor or however you spell it 58/19 or (3) the cold iron morning star 75/25. Now they are all around the same ratio 3.0. my main thing is  i just don't know if the lower delay on option 1 and 2 is better to go for or is the higher dmg on option 3 the best way to go.

Thank for any help you can give me on what to look for in picking a off hand weapon and what i should be looking for in one.

Nusa

First calculate your post-aug weapon ratios. The pre-aug numbers everyone quotes are not good for comparisons, as the value of a damage augments increases the faster the weapon is. Then, if one weapon shows a noticably better ratio, put that in mainhand, never mind the delay. If your weapons are about equal, then put the faster weapon in mainhand.

However, if you do a lot of tanking where ripostes come into play, then the damage number may actually be more important than the delay number. Depending on the size of the numbers of course. This is a case where playstyle can affect your choices.

melikemilk

So what do i look for in the Off hand if weapon are all about the same ratio is the faster delay weapon better to go with or is the higher dmg weapon better to go with.. IF you all had to pick from one of the 3 option what option would you all go with (1) the 56/19 (2) 58/19 or (3) 75/25. lets say i did not have any  aug for weapon that was best i could there dmg to be..

Brane

Quote from: melikemilk on December 17, 2009, 11:36:37 AM
So what do i look for in the Off hand if weapon are all about the same ratio is the faster delay weapon better to go with or is the higher dmg weapon better to go with.. IF you all had to pick from one of the 3 option what option would you all go with (1) the 56/19 (2) 58/19 or (3) 75/25. lets say i did not have any  aug for weapon that was best i could there dmg to be..

Without AA I think offhand had a fixed delay, so I go for damage. :)

Khauruk

Basic calculator work does the answer for you.
Base > aug'ed = ratio
56/19 > 59/19 = obviously worse than the next
58/19 > 61/19 = 3.21
75/25 > 78/25 = 3.12
61/19 is, I hope, obviously the best.

QuoteWithout AA I think offhand had a fixed delay, so I go for damage.
False.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Brane

Quote from: Khauruk on December 17, 2009, 03:40:57 PM
Basic calculator work does the answer for you.
Base > aug'ed = ratio
56/19 > 59/19 = obviously worse than the next
58/19 > 61/19 = 3.21
75/25 > 78/25 = 3.12
61/19 is, I hope, obviously the best.

QuoteWithout AA I think offhand had a fixed delay, so I go for damage.
False.

So ratio for offhand too?

bobokatt1970

Does anyone bother factoring in disease damage +2 or fire +2 that some weapons have? of should this NOT influence ratios etc?

And by this I mean if a weapon is 58/19 and has a +3 corruption damage and you have a +4 damage aug... the weapon does NOT become 58+3+4 (65/19) right? It's still a 58 base plus +4 aug so 62/19 and then the corruption damage is added somehow later on... but not a full base damage?

And finally as the previous post... So ratio for offhand too always? I was always under the impression that the offhand simply never hit anywhere near as often as the main -- had its own calculator of sorts so it would stand to reason that the highest possible damage weapon with a decent delay would always be the best choice... ?

Khauruk

They are added on to base damage, but they are resistable.

Corruption lands for full almost all the time (mob corruption resists are as shitty as ours unauged).  Dev assumptions for all of them when tuning is that they land 50% of the time.  Players say they land 25-30%, and devs say the actual benefit is 66% /shrug.

See:
http://beastlords.org/index.php?topic=8608.0
http://beastlords.org/index.php?topic=8374.0
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Wolfcaller

YES, RATIO MATTERS FOR OFFHAND.  This comes up every so often, and I always /facepalm.

Khauruk

Quote from: Wolfcaller on December 24, 2009, 02:30:28 AM
YES, RATIO MATTERS FOR OFFHAND.  This comes up every so often, and I always /facepalm.

Like every other day at least in serverwide channel.

It's amazing how slowly information can travel through the game sometimes.
TURNCOAT!!!!!