Main Menu

TM Grimling mines 39 - 42(+)

Started by Taiglin, February 06, 2004, 02:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiglin

Didn't look like it had really been mentioned here so figured I would. When you ding 39 a great place to go is the second of the two grimling mines in TM (the one closest to Katta). To be honest I can't remember if they have pp but the runes and gems they drop make up for that with some runes selling for over 4pp each. Of the two mines this second one has the following advantages over the other (that I have seen) - increased drop rates on gems and runes, single pull mobs, more mobs, grimling runner stop. The first cave has double static spawns that will only really single pull once the ore dudes are lt blue baring some other grouped form of single pulling. I 2 box with a Druid bot but want to say my pet (with only haste and proc) was able to take down a grimling by himself with little problem so should be a good solo spot. The two mobs at the ent both path to the left so if you are trying to break in would start on the left side of the left mob. I set up shop on top of the first spawn point inside the cave. That led to fighting 4 mobs back to back though so you will have to watch out and plan accordingly. The reason for 4 is the spawn point I was sitting on would pop and then start to walk out of the cave at 20%, which would argo 1 of the two ent guards. Fighting there would usually argo the 2nd guard and just about the time that was done the 1 wondering mob would make her entrance. Anyway, that is just how I had things. The wandering mob does path outside the cave just a bit so it is an option to take her out outside.

There is a caster class (females) and they like to cast back to back DD spells. With 2 boxed healer it wasn't a problem but for soloer a technique that would probably work well (I tested it some) would be to send the pet in and THEN start casting vs the other way around. Typically they cast 3 or 4 spells which should be done by the time you hit her with slow, DoT, and nuke. They do like to cast a snare type spell also FYI. Grim Foremen have more hps then the other two so you will have to play that one by ear. They can drop the master's enchilada and you will see it if they have it.

Last but not least is the Grimling runner who I think is on a one hour spawn timer will come into the cave to the first inside spawn. He of course is the holder of the no drop Rallic pack quest item. The mobs start to go lt blue at 43 I think but isn't a bad place at all for a while after that as there are like 15 mobs in this cave. Bring lots o bags.

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]

RabidMonkey

Hell ya, just spent 40 -43 lvling there and have made 1.3k so far...though i think once i hit 44 might slow down, which it has allreasdy but the cash is soo good for me, being this is my main...but ya bring lots o bags, from 40-42 was gettin 1 percent per kill and they have LOW hp's just be careful of the geomancers which are wizzies and ya be rigfht, i'd just rush em and try kill em quick b4 to much nukeing, thoiugh i don't have slam so troll/ogre be at advantage.

Lok.
Lokchut
65 Sexah Beast.
The Tribunal

Hecklerkoch

Can you give me some idea of your equip (or at least AC, HPs, resists) and what, if any, buffs you had (not your own but others like Temp, C, whatever) when you did the Grim mines?

Following your guide I went to Ten. To the 1st little mine coming from Katta. There were 2 entrance Grims, 1 just inside past entrance in corner. In the next corner another and 2 to the right of that one down a little. When you get inside there's 1 room kind of split in 2 parts with 3 Grim in right section and another 3 in the other.  Am I in the right mine as referenced in post?

Well I pulled an Orefinder from outside and pet and I tore him up in no time so I'm thinking "damn that post is right on these things are a piece of cake". Didn't look at xp at that point so not sure how good/bad it might have been since I was figuring "these are so easy even if only 20% of a blue per I'll go through a ton of them". Next I pull the other outside guard, a Geomancer, she hits me with a 246HP & 100+ nuke then comes running, pet and I take her out but I'm down 30% health (from nukes and little melee she did).

I'm still not worried cause they die so quick. I heal to 100% and go inside. Another Orefinder in 1st corner, yank him close to entrance and kill him easy. Next corner (and 2 near her) are all Geomancers (Wizards). The corner one looks far enough away that it looked like a single pull. Well I hit her with a Drowsy and send pet on her. I start seeing a bunch of nuke msgs and look at the 2 near one I tried to pull. Both are casting on me. I turn to bail out, now at like 30%, and get hit with 2-3 more nukes and die.
Anyway, I tried 2 more times, died once more and barely made Katta zone a 3rd. My resists are all in the low-high 60s with my resist buffs on, not great I know but I'm thinking not bad for the lvl. Those Wizzys tore me up. Also tried the "send pet in" suggestion. They still all cast on me instead of the pet.

I'm thinking this could be a sweet spot if I can survive it. I eventually got  inside (son brought his Druid and wiped the Wizzys for me) and it looks managable but, as stated, I can't handle the 3 Wizzys. Even when I got them split, by the time I finish the inside mobs, healed/meded, and started the cycle again, the 3 had respawned.

What am I missing?  Any advice/info. greatly appreciated.  I'm L42 btw.

Heck
"It was a woman that drove me to drink and I never wrote to thank her."  -- WC Fields

Oneiromancer

I spent some time here at those levels, but I don't think ever solo unfortunately.  One thing to watch out for would be wanderers...I think there are a few non-static mobs that might mess up your pulling.  Wait and observe a bit next time perhaps?

Buy some pet toys too...with the money you make in this camp you could definitely afford it...the extra hp and dps your pet will do should make things a lot easier, let your pet do the tanking when you get multiples.  Oh wait, you did that...and you still kept aggro...my suggestion is to send pet in before you cast anything at all.  It seems to me that casters will often cast on the first thing that aggros them even if something else gets aggro later.  Perhaps that's what you did, in which case...not sure what to say.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired