Main Menu

I am Gekis Korungyi

Started by Gekis, January 02, 2004, 08:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gekis

Just a little short story I and a friend came up with. enjoy

I am Gekis Korungyi. I am Vah Shir.

My mother was, in a word, luxurious. Father was smitten with her. For him, she was his one and only love and so, therefore, no others would ever share his life but she who was known as Katalya. Their love was great and such love often begets results ..... I was from a litter of two - the only children my parents would ever bring into this world. Katalya was as loving a mother as she was a wife. Her devotion to my brother and me was complete. Therefore, we were more precious to father than life itself. This is not to say that father's love for us was not his own, he was a wonderful parent and spent as much time with us younglings as he could.

Getain Korungyi was a powerful BeastLord of great intelligence. I admired him greatly for the short time I knew him and wished to be like him. My brother, several minutes younger than I, seemed to prefer the doting that mother bestowed upon him, but was always as excited to see father as I was when he came back from his hunting trips with the elders of Shar Vahl, the city in which we lived. I remember one fateful day that has haunted my memories and shadowed my life. Mother took my younger brother, then known as Hultain, and ventured out to see the wonders in the forest outside the city gates. I was content to hunt at my father's side, but Hultain was interested in Shamanic ways - which pleased mother to no end and she gladly took him out to search for roots and berries needed for a new potion she was making. I was resting, not wanting to lose my chance to meet father when he walked thru the door as he was expected back that day. When his massive form loomed in the doorway, I jumped off my cushion and rushed into his open arms. He snuggled my cheek and purred in my ear, tickling me here and there. I would remember this show of affection as I would never experience it again. After a few more moments of play, he asked where mother and Hutain were. I told him they had gone to hunt berries and roots and he became suddenly alarmed! "Stay Here!", he boomed at me as he raced out the door in the direction of the city elders. I stayed put as a cuffing from father caused a week's discomfort! By the time night closed around the city, my father was still gone. A light knock on the door produced the Charee, a servant to the chief elder's wife, Mistress Frannuk. Charee had come to stay with me until my father's return. Three months later, my father finally drug in. I saw his form fill the doorway, but somehow it didn't look as powerful as it once had. He padded softly to my bed and sat on the edge. I sat up and threw my arms around his neck, but he carefully pulled me away to look into my eyes.
"Gekis, I bear bad news, son." I looked into his face apprehensively.
"I finally found your mother. She is ............ dead."
"Dad?"
"I couldn't find your brother, son. It is reasonable to assume that he is dead also. There was much debris. Katalya was a powerful Shaman, but she was outnumbered in great quantities. However, she who was my wife took a great many of these Grimlings with her when she left this world." The moonlight streaming thru my bedroom window caught on a tear as it slid down his cheek. The great being that was my father, carefully rose from his sitting position and walked out of the room. Hultain was mother's favorite child and Getain would never stop searching for his youngest son. Within days, Charee was replaced with a servant of our own. We called her Gracette. Father's exploits, in his secret effort to find his missing son, became the standard by which all males in Shar Vahl came to live by. I was trained well into adulthood by Getain himself. There had never been a BeastLord with Getain's prowess and he roamed the moon far and near - searching and killing and mourning the loss of his beloved, Katalya. Nothing lasts forever and eventually the day came when father no longer loomed in the doorway of our home after a battle. When the city elder called for me to see him and I knew what to expect. I entered expectantly and bowed before the elder, as is our custom. He bade me rise and then signaled to one of his guards. Three on one side and three on the other, my father was carried in on a stretcher, arranged in a pose common to our people when in death.

"Getain was a great being and a mighty BeastLord." Brutallic, the leader of our people, look down on Getain's body. "He was also my dearest friend. His are large footsteps to walk in, Gekis. However, I can think of none other who could walk them as well but you. Getain was proud of you, son, and spoke of you with an affection that nearly equaled Katalya. Stand with certainty, Gekis. In two days, we shall have a memorial for Getain as is fitting the greatest of our warriors. Mourn your family while you may then go forth with joy in your heart knowing that your father was the mightiest of BeastLords. After all these years, you should consider keeping on Gracette. Your home has been her home for a long time. Your wealth and honor is great. You can afford to do this.
"Yes, Elder Brutallic, I can afford it - it will be done." I bowed low to the elder and took my leave. Days later, I watched the procession in my father's honor from afar and vowed that I would find take up my father's quest and find my brother. Looking at the orb in the distant sky, I hoisted a backpack filled with food and water onto my shoulders and set off for the Nexus and then to a portal to Norrath, an entire planet my father never explored.