Main Menu

PowerLeveling is ruining the game.

Started by mac173, March 17, 2004, 02:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhaynne

QuoteI got to 65 on my shaman by refusing to be Pled by my real life friends and by soloing/grouping my way and traveling from location to location peddling my sow potions. This got me around in the game and allowed me to properly learn my class.

Hrrm... maybe you should work on peddling some more...

=P

<3 ya Vals

Shambler

QuoteGronker wrote:
Yet they'll argue with me to no end that their pets regen quicker if sitting
I have been playing since sometime before when /consent ment you could loot the corpse... I could have sworn at one time makeing the pet sit did make it regen faster.. I remember all pet classes regularly used /pet sit down, at the lower levels. A lot changes in this game... The lvl of the pet you summoned also was of variable lvl when you summoned too. ex. pet could be between lvl 11 to 14 when you cast the spell.  So the people your arguing with may be the alts of Old farts who missed a patch message at one point. Kind of like the people who didn't read the patch message that you don't have to look at the spell book to med /snicker.

As for PL'ing ruining the game.. It does, it ruins it for the people who are new to the game, because they have hardly anyone to group with... unless they go to the leveling tredmil zones.. then they have half a chance of getting a group. It's not bad for beastlord newbies.. because they CAN solo eficently.. poor newbs of other classes are not so lucky.

I only PL myself, and thats when I want a new class to box with... I already smelled the roses enough times.  I only want new content or new classes.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=959430> Raarthik 65 Beastlord, Luclin server
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=606160>
Shambler 65 Shaman, Luclin server

Whiptail_Warclaw

[/quote]The other day, I happened to get into a conversation with a fellow passenger on the train on the way home from work. It turned out he was a fellow EQ'er. Playes on Rallos Zek. Has a 52 Bard. Started playing in October. Sheesh.[/quote]

lol... I've been playing EQ since September of 2000 (woot 4 years next month). I have only ever had two characters over level 50 and Whiptail is my highest character ever at 56.
Baron Whiptail "Mr Whippy" Warclaw
Iksar Savage Lord of 62 seasons.
Drinal server.
- Created: October 09, 2003.
Bringing ice-cream to the people of Norrath for the last 62 seasons...

"The only thing worse than one Beastlord, is six Beastlords, in a group, in the same zone as you... We'll try and leave you a few mobs."

Hrann

My brother played several years ago, quit and came back and is at 46 now.  I have a friend at work who has a level 26 cleric as his highest character, and his son has a level 30 or so.  At my last company, the only person I met that played had a level 37 rogue.  I have numerous other examples.

People who think that there is no one left under 65 are wrong, there are still newbies out there (certainly a lot less than before of course).

Meemae

Hehe I am a slow lvler, my main is an enchanter on FV and she is 3 years old and only 57 I have no real concern about makeing lvls as fast as I can.  My 52 beastlord made that in 2 months but I still took her to a bunch of diferant zones and checked out diferant things, all my other toons are 3 or 4 years old and from 12 to 51, and will lvl when they lvl, I PLed my SK for 10 lvls from 39 to 49 and I think that is all the PLing I have ever had done. I just dont like it to hard to keep skills up. and I like to take my time anyway and enjoy the game and the world.

Lorathir

Brungo

Excellent post and I thank all to those hg lvl players who take the time out to help me.  Even though I am only a lvl 29 bst, I always cast upon those I see.  If for some reason, people ask me questions...I have no problems telling what little information I might know.  But remember, a lot of what you do in game is generally a sure sign of the type of person you are in RL.  I like to help people, and can't wait to hit lvl such as the rest of you...I will just run around and buff and answer questions.  Good times.
-Jayson-
Brungo(51) Primalist-veeshan

Brungo

Well, I thought I would post this.  I logged tonight after having read this thread and replied.  Too make a very long and awesome night short, I went from 28 to 32 in MS with the help of some fine high lvl PCs.  Here is a screen shot I took.  Nothing special, just wasn't aware of me being a man made of fire....They also were so gracious in giving me several thousand plat as well as some nice gear at the end of the night.  I never once ask for any assistance, only if they were /lfg.  Fince example of the finer people of EQ.

-Jayson-
Brungo(51) Primalist-veeshan

bestuss

Been leveling some chars up lately in places like qeynos/qeynos hills and blackburrow, hardly see a living soul around, also done some mammoth hunting in everfrost and sometimes i recieve a high level buff or a heal, and i always thank the person casting.

Sometimes when low on time i run my cleric/mage/chanter around buffing people, mostly paludal, the low level people over at the shadeweaver side is thrilled when they get clarity, haste, 25dmg ds, temperance, course this takes a lot of logging on my part since i only have 1 account :)

As for powerleveling it sure does hurt when you try to solo some in paludal but have to compete with a beastlord twinked and buffed by a mage in the top guild on the server, not many mobs left for me :(
/Nexxius lvl 40 beastlord on Antonius Bayle
My magelo
/Goloog lvl 67 beastlord on Antonius Bayle Goloogs magelo

Learth

When I started I rolled a magician. This was about 4 years ago I guess. I asked a high level mage in Ak'Anon some questions about the class and he answered them al with patience and gave me a couple of plat so I'd be able to buy my first spells telliing me how hard it had been for him to get it al together.

About two years later I was walking through South Karana with another char of mine. Who do I see. The rare Pegasus required for the Mage-epic. The mage in question was still on my friends list (seeing as I hardly ever use it I never "cleaned"it.) So I give him a tell, asking if he still needed that epic-piece. He did, came on over as fast as he could while I was following his epic mob. He was very gratefull. Never told him why I picked him over all other mages online to come on over though.

Jzath

Is it powerleveling or the attitude of "screw you hunting here, I am more powerful than you"

I love the phrase, "Just because you can, does not mean you should."

When you see powerleveling going on and you get the attitude stated above, you don't easily forget it.  

I personally see other things ruining the game more than powerleveling.  

If the one being PL'd has played before and is making an honest effort to learn and to deal with the reprecussions of being PL'd, then the consequences are minimal.  If the person is an immature jerk, then there is not much hope anyway.  Those that are powerleveled only affect my game when they are where I wanted to hunt.  I can go somewhere else for a few hours and come back and they will be gone as they race ahead.

As I took my bard to 65, I grouped with soooo many people I did not know.  At least 1 if not 4 new folks every ldon for over 220 adventures.  I can count on my hand the ones I would never group with again.  Then again, playing on Firiona Vie tends to have more mature players.  I could not say the same thing before I left Lanys, though I met lots of good folks there too, just had a higher percentage of bad encounters.
Jzath, beastlord
70 bloodmoons
FV server
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1215044

Shille

Quote from: LorathirThis thread will outlive my dog.

How old is your dog?

Evanus

Quote from: sharszaik
Anyway back then ton's of people would come to greaterfay and do their own little quests to give out what they considered 'garbage' but myself at the time and others considered 'great' ....

When my long since retired taxi cab of a druid was 22, i was told that the best 1hb in game before epic was dark ember.. this was when RoK had just come out.  i /auc that i was seeking one and this druid sent me a tell asking what i had to offer for it. i showed her my whole life savings of 300pp,  which was alot to me as i started from scratch and wore leather well into my 30's, and she said "throw in that FS morning star and ye got a deal." i thanked her and went merrily on my way. it wasnt until a week later that i saw the price on DE at almost 1500pp!!!! She made one heck of a sacrifice at the time so that a lowbie like myself could have the gear he so desperately wanted. i want to say right now that it is people like that druid that make this game great. and if you look hard enough, there are still ppl like her playing today.  maybe  when eq2 goes live this game can get back to its former glory, but i fear that Norrath has been forever changed by the hordes of bazaar babies and platinum sites on the web.

Keep the Faith!!
Grandmaster Fletcher Evanus Bladestorm  / Pathfinder / Vallon Zek

Bloodrawr Battleclaws / Feral Lord-in-training / The Nameless

Don't hold in your farts, because then they travel up to your brain.....and THAT'S where all your crappy ideas come from. :O

danaconda

That's a great story. I still run into people like that occassionally. I think I'm going to start a few toons over on the Firiona Vie server (got 3 accts) and use them to level up. I hear the level of maturity on that server far exceeds other servers.

Maybe it's because people only get one toon per account, so no one wants to ruin their reputation. /shrug
Dedlee Beatdown retired
Troll Beastlord of Lanys T'Vyl
(moved onto WoW - Mannoroth server, same name)

Jzath

yeah, the avg maturity on FV is very good.  There are still the PL'ers, jerks, role player snobs/clicks to be found.  Also the prices in the bazaar are insane imho.

It is tough to find groups at lower levels, so be warned.  Due to having only one toon per account you get 2 extremes, those that are forever low level because of roleplaying/constant reroll or 60+.  Not impossible, just not plentiful.

Also, if l33t speak is used, be prepared to be VERY alone in your journey.
Jzath, beastlord
70 bloodmoons
FV server
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1215044