Main Menu

media vs. gamers

Started by Seboa, January 02, 2004, 06:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seboa

I know there has been some recent disscussion about the bias of the media against gamers, but I read this today and it seems just wrong.  Almost makes me ashamed to be a journalist.

//www.penny-arcade.com

For those looking for the nutshell without the link, (or for when it eventually goes to the sites archive) a bunch of gamers who regualrly visit that site, came together to donate $175,000 worth of toys and $27,000 in cash to a childrens hospital.  The local news when it reported on it, estimated the toys to be valued at 1,000, and attributed it to a local catholic school.

It's basically said in the link, but I should restate it here for myself, that's not just bad reporting, that reflects a disbelief that gamers CAN do something so big and generous.  I know the important thing is that we helped a good cause, but at the same time, some credit would be nice.

-Seboa

Hrann

That local news station should print a correction.  That's not right.

mac173

More than not right, it is unethical. Call the editor, and he is required to print a correction. Unfortunatly, WHERE he prints it is his decision, so it is usually buried in the back pages. If you really want to get to them, call the other papers in town, like the NY Times, and try to get them interested. Also try the local TV stations. They LOVE to report on Newspapers inaccuracies. Just be sure to contact a TV station that is not owned by the same conglomerate as the paper........

Laba

Thats really sad. The media always messes lots of stuff up or sensationalizes things. At my high school we have a can drive every year and last year a teacher offered 10 bonus points if you brought in 10 cans. The local news station got a hold of this and printed a headline "Students buy high grades at local highschool" :roll: .
Laba Lamp
65 Beastlord
Legions of Darkness
Innoruuk Server