Main Menu

All you need to know about: Pet Commands and Experience

Started by Xalmat, January 02, 2004, 10:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xalmat

Credit goes to The Magician's Tower for the original information posted here.

Pet Commands

Thanks to Master ArchMage Razamatazz Pizzazz for compiling the original basis for this listing, and for Edano, Feninie, Zacatac, Majax, Nalianna, and many others for contributing additional notes.

Command: /pet follow me, or /pet guard me
UI Button: Follow
Effect: puts the pet in Follow mode. This is the initial mode of a newly summoned pet. This command will overwrite /pet sit and /pet guard here and force the pet to follow its master.

Command: /pet guard here
UI Button: Guard
Effect: puts the pet in Guard mode.
Detail: pet will become "parked" at its current locaton, contrary to the command wording it will not automatically attack any MOB, unless said MOB attacks its master.
Special Note: A pet under /pet guard here will face the nearest NPC, including invisible mobs, traps, horses, and Eye of Zomms.

Command: /pet sit down
UI Button: Sit
Effect: puts the pet in Sit mode.
Detail: works exactly like the /pet guard here command with a few minor exceptions, low level pets will regen slightly faster. Once pets get thier innate regen boost in the low 30's this additional regen becomes inconsequential. Another difference between /pet sit down and /pet guard here is the pet does not "remember" its last sit point. When a mob is killed, the pet will stay with its corpse rather than returning to the point where /pet sit was issued.
Special Note: /pet sit will toggle the pet's sit state, whereas /pet sit down will force the pet to sit.

Command: /pet attack
UI Button: Attack
Effect: places the owners current target onto the pet's Hate List, and ends /pet hold.
Detail: pet will temporarily forget all prior commands and attempt to attack the target at the top of his hate list. /pet attack does not place the target at the top of the pets hate list, it just makes the pet attack the mob at the top of his hate list. The pet will not forget targets it already hates. It will not "forget" movement states, such as follow or guard, it will just temporarily ignore them as he attempts to attack his target. After the mob dies, the pet will return to his previous guard point, follow, or sit down, as previously commanded. The pet may be sidetracked however if another MOB begins to attack him before he has engagued the target OR if another MOB is doing signifigantly more damage to the pet thus generating enough aggro to make the pet switch targets.
Special Note: you may also use the alternative version of this command /pet kill
PvP Note: unless Player versus Player is enabled, you cannot add a player or a player charmed NPC to a pet's Hate List.

Command: /pet kill name
Effect: takes whatever would be selected by the command /target name and puts it at the top of the pet's Hate List.
Detail: for example assume King Tormax was within range for you to /target King Tormax the command /pet kill King Tormax will order the pet to attack King Tormax regardless of what you currently have tareted. Originally a zone wide command, it was reduced to only work within the same range of the /target command.

Command: /pet back off
UI Button: Back
Effect: empties the pet's Hate List, causing it to stop attacking.
Detail: while this will clear the pets hate list, if a mob atacks the pet again after this command is given it will begin attacking the mob again. This is a particular problem in areas with mobs casting large AE's. Temple of Veeshan is the most common example.

Command: /pet hold
Effect: causes the pet to be Held, i.e. it ignores its Hate List and goes into Free mode, resuming its regular movement (either follow, guard, or sit).
Detail: this command does not clear the pets hate list, the pet will remain "held" until you give it an attack command at which time it will attempt to attack the target at the top of its hate list. It is recommended you add the following line after /pet hold in a macro: /pet back off to ensure your pets hate list is clear. A pets hate list is frozen while it is "held", which means it does not add anyone or MOB to its hate list even if attacked.
Special Note: the command is only available to level 59 or higher Beastlords who have obtained the beastlord class AA skill Pet Discipline at a cost of 6 AA points. Beastlords must also have spent 6 AA in General abilities and 12 AA in Archetype abilities to gain access to this AA.

Command: /pet taunt off
UI Button: Taunt
Effect: disables pet taunting, that is the pet will not taunt during fights.
Detail: this command very helpful on raids or other such group encounters where summoning MOBs are involved. However, in solo situations you should generally leave taunt enabled.
Special Note: if you omit the "off" portion of the command it will toggle the pets taunt mode (i.e. if it is on it will switch it off, and vice-versa)

Command: /pet taunt on
UI Button: Taunt
Effect: enables pet taunting.
Detail: generally recommended for solo situations only.
Special Note: if you omit the "on" portion of the command it will toggle the pets taunt mode (i.e. if it is on it will switch it off, and vice-versa)

Command: /pet who leader
Effect: the pet will /say My leader is Doofus Da'Magi.
Detail: duh.

Command: /pet get lost
UI Button: Go Away
Effect: Instantly kills your pet.
Detail: This will instantly kill your pet, and is one of the essential commands for a technique known as chain-petting.
Special Note: This command is zone-wide and will kill your pet anywhere in the zone, regardless of distance from its master.

Command: /pet health
UI Button: The Pet window itself
Effect: Displays your pet's current health percentage and buff list in the chat window.
Detail: This command instantly displays the current status of your pet, showing its HP percentage and current buffs/debuffs it currently has.
Special Note: This command displays the pet's health faster than the UI can update, and is very useful when timing is critical.

Command: /pet target
Effect: Targets your pet.
Detail: This command clears your current target and replaces it with your pet. This is very useful for macros. However, it's often faster to simply hit the F1 key twice to target your pet.
Special Note: This command will target special pets that borrow the name of their master (i.e. Xalmat's pet) instead of your summoned pet (Flurfy's warder, Jonartik, etc). Use with caution when using such pets.

Command: /pet as you were
Effect: Clears your pet's command list
Detail: This tells your pet to revert to a free state. If the pet is currently under /pet follow, or /pet guard me, it will revert to a /pet sit state. If it is chasing an NPC, and /pet as you were, followed by /pet back off is issued, the pet will continue off in its direction of travel. This command does not break /pet hold.

Pets and Experience

Originally posted by Absor

Here are the basic rules, along with some examples -

Situation 1 - You are soloing and you have a summoned pet-
* If you do any damage to the monster at all, you get all of the experience.
* If you don't do any damage to the monster, the pet gets 75% of the experience.

Situation 2 - You are in a group and you have a summoned pet-
* If you or your group do any damage to the monster at all, your group gets all of the experience.
* If you or your group don't do any damage to the monster, the pet gets 75% of the experience.

Damage shields count as neutral damage; Neither you nor your pet get credit for damage done by a damage shield.

If your pet dies or is reclaimed mid-battle, all damage done by it is considered zero for experience purposes.

It makes no difference if your pet gets the killing blow or not.

[65 Arch Convoker] Sage Xalmat Lunaire (Human) <Enshadowed> ZONE: brellserilis
[65 Archon] Eiyana Lunaire (Gnome) <Enshadowed> ZONE: brellserilis
Lead Librarian/Moderator of The Magician's Tower

Myrkskog

QuoteCommand: /pet kill name
Effect: takes whatever would be selected by the command /target name and puts it at the top of the pet's Hate List.
Detail: for example assume King Tormax was within range for you to /target King Tormax the command /pet kill King Tormax will order the pet to attack King Tormax regardless of what you currently have tareted. Originally a zone wide command, it was reduced to only work within the same range of the /target command.

Can you make a hotkey for this?  I hate having to back off my pet and constantly putting it on the correct mob when I have it tanking another from behind.

Soriab

The pet/experience part is a null issue now days that was actually fixed.

Hrann

Soriab, what do you mean it was fixed?  Have they changed it so that you get all xp even if you did no damage at all?  I might have missed that patch (although I alwys at least do some damage so this doesn't really affect me).

Xalmat

[65 Arch Convoker] Sage Xalmat Lunaire (Human) <Enshadowed> ZONE: brellserilis
[65 Archon] Eiyana Lunaire (Gnome) <Enshadowed> ZONE: brellserilis
Lead Librarian/Moderator of The Magician's Tower

Furlyne

QuoteIt is recommended you add the following line after /pet hold in a macro: /pet back off to ensure your pets hate list is clear. A pets hate list is frozen while it is "held", which means it does not add anyone or MOB to its hate list even if attacked.

DoH!!!!!!!!  That would explain why pet hold sometimes fails for me.  Got it backwards <hangs head in shame>

KungFool

so, /pet kill <name> works like pet attack, only it makes the pet just attack the one that you command it to?  can you just do /pet kill on your target instead of /pet attack, so that you can actually make your pet attack what you want it to?

Lewzephyr

Quote from: KungFoolso, /pet kill <name> works like pet attack, only it makes the pet just attack the one that you command it to?  can you just do /pet kill on your target instead of /pet attack, so that you can actually make your pet attack what you want it to?

Pet kill and pet attack do the exact same thing....  your pet will attack what ever mobs are on its hate list.... sometimes appearing to randomly change targets.  I have found that when this usualy happens, the pets new target usualy has the lowest HP pool and is usualy at 20% or lower....   i.e. kill the weakest link first....
Quyx Shadostyx - 65 Vah Shir Beastlord
Sekani - 57 Iksar Monk
Aoumin - 53 Eurdite Necromancer
Fulcon - 40 Wood Elf Druid
Loyal Members of Da Hui on Quellious

Soriab

I killed the little clockwork thing in PoI that is laying down by the entrance 10 times with pet only. Then 10 times with me soloing it only. The EXP was the same .....

Noriko

Quote from: Lewzephyr.... sometimes appearing to randomly change targets.  I have found that when this usualy happens, the pets new target usualy has the lowest HP pool and is usualy at 20% or lower....   i.e. kill the weakest link first....

That's generic mob code.  All NPC does this, pet use the same codes.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=774007">Noriko . http://www.celestialrising.com">Celestial Rising . http://pub228.ezboard.com/bxevserverboards">Xev . http://www.beastlords.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1593">BST65.80/Xv h++ 3khp 3km ft13 r9 G++<3 e++ o+ T+++ L++ H+++@ f g b- t++>++++ D- !X

Borramir

First time poster here. I just came back to eq recently and really knew to beastlords and to thier pets.  Here is my ?.....can i make a hot key for /pet assist <ME> or should i target myself and hit hot key for /pet assist? They might be the same thing but, Im not sure.  Thanks in advance.

Zorthaz

You can just make a copy of the attack key from the pet window to your hot button bar.  The attack key tells the pet to attack your current target.

-Z-
Savage Lord Zorthaz - 110 - Scaled Wolf herder - Tunare

dainfrol

Or you can just type /pet attack in a social and then your pet will target what ever you have on target.  An example of this is my assist key, line 1 is: /assist (main assist's name), line 2 is:/pause 5 (to account for any lag that's 1/2 second pause), and line 3 is: /pet attack.  I also use the same button after holding my pet when I solo to tell him to attack whatever I'm on (just hope the last MA I had is not anywhere near or else I'll get his target).  Now it is hard to make your pet attack only what you have on target if he has agro'd something else.

WildbloodXikahtizuDragonblood - 75 - Beastlord - Luclin (Veeshan)

iamweaver

One option:  Instead of copying the pet attack burron from your pet window, consider making a macro that does

/pet back off
/pet attack

That way, it's much less likely that your pet will have anything on its hate list except for your currently targeted MOB. The only time this would be an issue is if you are having your pet attack a large number of grey mobs for quest/tradeskill harvesting, and want to "queue up" a number of MOBs.  In that event, I just use the "pet attack" button on Fluffy's pet window.

My "lazy MA Assist" button is similar to the one above:
/assist BuffWarrior
/stand
/pause 3
/pet back off
/pet attack

Note that once you have the "pet focus" AA, life becomes a bit easier, but even so, you should be working on cultivating the habit of backing up/holding Spot either just after or just before the MOB dies (just before, if you have "pet hold")
Wildblood Lupic Wulfsib:  Member of Memento Reejeryn, The Seventh Hammer (Lanys T'Vyl)
Sugar Daddy: Berrew, Archon of Brell Serilis

Kanan

Weaver's hit a lotta good things on the head there.

I am sometimes lazy on the pet focus, just because i have to hit it to get it to work.

That pet kill command.. well, hitting back & then attack functions in the same fashion honestly.

I'd once complained abt the pet shifting targets on me when I didn't use focus and I had the /back etc attack key... I've learned since that it was bcs my mob was low on health that the pet shifted.  This did have the unfortunate side effect of bringing the OT'd mob into melee range of me.. but it's rectifiable by backing up or using pet focus.

If you are wanting to assist the pet, I think the most efficient way is to prolly just have a /ass hotkey setup and tap f1 twice to shift to the pet and then hit your hotkey.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar