Main Menu

2 Box on one computer

Started by Nakab, May 04, 2004, 03:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nakab

Is there any way to avoid purchasing another copy of EQ software just to start a second account on the same computer?

When I try to start a new account with the same billing information, a different CD key is required to start a new account.

What I've tried so far is to copy c:\Program Files\Everquest to c:\Program Files\Everquest2. Then I also have two copies of EQWindows - one running the EQ application from the Everquest directory, the other running the EQ app. from EQ2 directory.

First post here, so please bear with me.

Mindlet

No. You need to buy a new copy to 2 box. You also need to buy all the expansions you want to use.

Nakab

Thank you for the information.

Dakat

I run 3 separate instances of everquest on the same computer.  I have only installed it once.

Win XP, no patches downloads or EQWindows.

AMD 64 3400 1600 FSB Asus MB (best amd mb out there)
3g ram
Asus radeon 9800xt 256 Vi/Vo

I start the first session. Once in game I change my viewing size. From 1600x1200 to 800x600 32bit.  I turn off all spells and such. Set clip plane to 0. Level of Detail off. Sky off. Once changed, I Alt-Enter and my screen minimizes. I position it in the top right corner of my screen.  

I start the second session. It checks for updates and begins. I already am in windows mode, the game opens in windows mode. Sign on different account and connect to my server.  It loads I select character and get into game.  (Since I changed my settings before logging in the second character, my settings are already where they need to be. The game assumes those settings are my default.)

I Alt-Enter and position second character in bottom right of my screen.  I click on Everquest again.  The 3rd instance it takes a little longer for the patcher to check all the files. (I am already running 2 instances) I sign in and log on the 3rd account, select server. It takes a little longer then it normally does due to having 2 other versions already running.  Maybe 30 seconds instead of 10 seconds. I select character and enter game.

I went to Plane of Innovation with all 3 characters and killed there for several hours.

For a while it was just me 65 Bst. Botting my 62 bard and 54 druid. Mainly it was to get the druid up in level.  Which worked out well.  I was there about 3 hours and Bst and Bard made an aa and the druid got almost a level.  A 59 monk came and brought his 65 cleric bot. We went into the Factory for half of my time that I was botting.  Good exp for my druid since mobs were level 59 and 60 killing golems.

Key factor here is having a fast machine that can process quick.  I've got better then the top of the line computer you can buy off the market. It was custom built. It was clocked a little faster than the Intel P4 3.4 extreme edition.  The graphics card is the best out there as well tied with the Fire series.   I forked over 2k on the system itself not including monitors.

Tastian

"When I try to start a new account with the same billing information, a different CD key is required to start a new account. "

He's not asking about issues with a system he's asking about another account.  You need to be able to log in another account to two box.  You can't just have one account.

Dakat

LOL sorry I misread what he was saying

Renath

Actually, I tried doing the same thing that he did. Unfortunately, you must buy the software again, but you only need it installed once. The CD keys are per account, not per computer.

Each account you have must have its own CD keys for the expansions you want to use.