Main Menu

Quick Level Guide 1-29

Started by Arcarian, January 03, 2004, 01:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcarian

Thought I would throw this up here, just to get the ball rolling. While I am a younger Beastlord myself, I have been progressing rapidly, and have a lot of background, having played since June of '99. So, I think I am capable of offering ideas of where to hunt for almost any level.  Remember though, that a lot of where you can fight depends on your gear, and all these places and levels I will list are meant mainly for the soloer, or one who would like to take a smaller group of like-leveled people.

Levels 1 to 5. Newbie grounds are usually the best to just stay in, but obviously some are better than others. I find Everfrost to be my all time favorite place to level to 5, any character, any class.  Just take the Pok Book to Halas, and you can pull things right to the book area. Pretty much anything moving is a good target. Since Everfrost is also now a  Lost Dungeons area, helpful higher levels will often buff you, especially if you don't ask. Make sure you thank them though, and never beg.  It's normal for the 4th and 5th levels to slow down a bit, but use the time to get all your combat skills as high as you can. If you are a Barb or Kitty, there are several merchants nearby, If you are evil, head back to PoK to sell your hard won booty. Save all those ruined Bear pelts though, they are great for tailoring practice.

Level 6 to 10.  Paludal Caverns offers the easiest exp of any place, and is usually a good idea, especially for the soloer, as the mobs here do not hit all that hard, and have few hps. From Plane of Knowledge, take the Book to Shar Vahl, which will put you in Shadeweavers Thicket. Simply follow the road to the Tunnel enterance, and remember, make your first left, then a right, then another right  to enter Paludal. Stay near the zone, and pull the smaller bugs to the corner. Turning OOC and Shout off are always recommended. Don't forget to go to Shar Vahl and pick up training and spells as needed. They like all races the same.. Apparently kitties in EQ, much like reality, are  wholly apathetic to everyone.

Levels 11 to 15. Paludal Caverns is still the place to be. Follow the same route to enter, and follow the wall to the right, and you will enter a lower tunnel with Reishi's (mushrooms) and larger beetles to kill. Most things assist each other here, other than the mushrooms, so its usually best to kill the mob where it stands if you cannot pull them to some place safe.  Respawns are fairly quick here, so you won't need a lot of spawns unless you are very well twinked. Don't forget to go train your skills, and it never hurts to just take a 20 minute break from killing, meditate, and chain cast spells on yourself to raise skill. Heal yourself with Inner Fire if you are hurt, it's far more efficient than minor healing.

Levels 16 to 20. Hope you aren't too sick of Paludal Caverns. 'Cuz that's where the best exp is still. Head deaper down, and start working on the Plerg Fiends. The new warder and its rather powerful lightning proc will make short work of them. Always keep cure disease up, and cure yourself of the crud the Fiends like infecting you with. It's not exactly deadly, but it  is good practice no matter how you look at it.

Levels 20 to 25. Hey look, its.. Paludal Caverns. In no other zone will you spend so many levels. Be glad of that. There are other places you can go, but Paludal just is the best in terms of easy exp. Follow the ramp down some more, heading towards the main area and the camps. If you want to group at the camps, that's fine, but honestly, I would just solo, your skills will be all the better for it, since you will be practicing them far more. Head down from the Plerg's, and into the Patog's. As any RHPS fan knows, same mobs, different lighting.  They will easily take you to 25, and your warder at 22 will shred them limb from limb. Make sure you practice all the skills you can, and med often. Every 10 points of meditation skill is 1 more mana per tick while meditating.

Levels 25 to 29. Yay! No more Paludal! While technically, you COULD stay there till 29, I really don't feel it's worth it, and your OOC and Shout channels miss you dearly. Turn them back on, and head through Shadowhaven and back to PoK.  Where to now? Marus Seru is a great place now, as long as you learn how to avoid trains, and most importantly, where to set up camp so that trains aren't an issue in the first place. From the Nexus, Zone into Netherberian Lair (It's the zone to the left of the PoK Book), once in Netherberian, run through, hang a right at the giant pillar, and straight into Marus Seru. Now all you need to do is hang a left, and follow the zone wall to the zone area by Sanctus Seru. You will see a large hill on either side of the salty flat that serves as a path. I usually set up on the left hill (facing Seru) and pull mobs to my warder I have parked on the hill. Finding a partner of any sort is good here, and don't forget to practice those skills as much as you can.

I seem to be accentuating getting your skills up a lot here, and for a good reason.  The experience in Paludal is actually too good, as you tend to level before your skills have a chance to increase as much as they would in say, South Karana. So you need to make an effort to cancel the negative out as much as you can. We already fizzle enough with our casting skills maxed. It's downright embarrassing when our casting skills are suffering horribly.
Arcarian <The Keepers> 25th BST
Arcale ViCace <The Keepers> 65th Nerfician
Rutabegas. May taste horrid, but at least the name makes you smile.

Hereki

Pretty good.

At 6 in Paludal, I prefer to kill reishi sprouts, as, unlike the burrowers, they aren't social.

At 11, I move round to the Hollowshade entrance, and kill in the first tunnel there to 16, then move in to the shikar, and stay on them to 22.

Kurns is a good alternative from 9 to 18.  It has a similar level of experience bonus (slightly less), but is a much smaller zone.

From 24/25, Marus Seru or Netherbian Lair are possibilities, although I prefer the needlites in Echo Caverns.

Filudan

I got tired of Paludal at around 12.  I had been leveling another character there and couldn't take it anymore.

I went into Chrushbone for a bit until I got to to 15.  The groups are pretty good there.  I ran into a lot of friends.  But it is getting thin at 15 unless you take the throne room or some of the name mobs.

I went to Kurn's Tower at 15.  It was so nice.  No-one was there and I just parked my warder in the entrance room and pulled to him.  It was great.  Steady constant fighting, no downtime as my wolf kept proc'ng while I drank beer and rested.  Fun.  Went to 17 in two levels.  All solo which is nice since I often group in the Caverns and it gets hectic. Having to help with my groupmates who get lost after they die is repetitive and no fun.

My vote is that Kurns is a great break.

-Filudan
Filudan Beastlord on Tholuxe Paellls
Magelo- http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=893099&resize=true

Hereki

That's a good point.  If you can't take any more Paludal, there are whole sets of zones, one near every starting city, with almost as good exp bonus as Paludal - it's just that everyone knows about Paludal.  Some of these go up to level 30 for usability, unlike Paludal which dies after 24.  Paludal has a ZEM of 160, most of the rest of these have 150.

Paludal: 6-24
Crushbone: 6-17
Kurns: 9-18
Warrens: (not sure)
Black Burrow: 4-15
Upper Guk: ??-30
Befallen: 9-??

testarossa

I've noticed that everyone seems to think it's bandit camps or nothing in PC (by everyone I mean the folks who zone in and shout level 10 looking for bandit group etc).

I've only done bandit camps twice in running 3 toons through here.

My favorite spot: Zone in from Shadowhaven - take a hard right at the bandit camp and run the zone wall. You may aggro a bandit - kill it and keep going. Stop and kill the single shroom if it's up. Keep going up the path - kill the PPF's (the fiends) - if no one is camping them, you can just go up and down the path wiping them out, but pathers and trains make it more exciting than you want at times.

Keep moving down the path - eventually there's a hallway to your right with a PPF near the entrance (unless he's been whacked already). Head on in - over the entrance hill is a shroom - kill it. You have now entered a nice, quiet hall that I rarely see anyone but my toon and group if any in. There are several PPF's, one pathing PPF, and a few shrooms. Solo, you can sometimes clear up to the intersection, but it depends on your level. The respawns are fast, so figure out how many you can handle, and stay near the entrance if you need to. No trains, no competition, and enough mobs to keep you happy - darn near perfect.

When the xp thins out here, go to that "T" intersection up the hall, hang a left, and work your way to the next opening - a small bay on the lake with lots more PPF's - though I've occasionally had competition from PL'ers here, the spot is great, and also usually quiet. There are 4 or 5 mobs you can pull easily with your pet, and if you manage to have more downtime than you want, run the wall to your left and pull the three PPF's from the island.

Hope that helps.

Gilamomster

I started out in EF hunting grounds, left at 6 for the wilds of BB.

1-5 EF

6-10 QH, and BB and EC depending on my mood.

11-13 CB

I'm only 13 now and have been hunting in OoM and having a blast. NO one goes there.

Dakat

Get thine self to Pauld Cave.

From 14 to 24 in 3 hours, PLed

hfa3

This is a great guide.  One questions though any ideas on where to hunt and sitll be able to get some decent loot?  The XP is rolling in but I am super broke, ie not a twink.

Hereki

I tend to mentally break 1-30 into cash and exp spots.  Exp spots are mostly Paludal and Echo Caverns for me.  Echo isn't too bad for cash, can usually take 50pp or so per level from needlite drops.

For cash, it's back to the good old newbie zones.  Plague rat tails, stackable 2 gp snake parts, green goblin parts, skunk claws, kobold pelts; it all adds up.  I may also go the spider silk, HQ/MQ/LQ pelts, shadeling silk, swirling shadows route in the Bazaar.  Paludal bandits, if the zone is really empty, and South Karana gnolls are relatively rich for their levels.

danaconda

Quote from: hfa3This is a great guide. One questions though any ideas on where to hunt and sitll be able to get some decent loot? The XP is rolling in but I am super broke, ie not a twink.
What level are you? And what race? If you don't care about wood elf faction (like there's anything to do in those trees anyways) you can head on over to the Sister Island in the Ocean of Tears. If you are kos in freeport though, it's going to be hard to get there without invis. The sisters all drop a belt that sells for 1pp each! It adds up very quickly, and with the gnome translocators at the docks, you can go back and forth very easily.

The island can support a couple different level ranges. From around level 9 to ~15 you can hunt the non-named "a Sister of Erolisi" and at around ~19 to ~ 34 you can kill the named sisters. Getting off the island at the lower levels will be difficult since the gnome translocator is located right next to a named sister (~lvl 24) on the docks. These hoe's are old-old-old school so they got crap for hp's and their damage output is pathetic. So even at 15, I'm sure you could run up to the gnome, ask to be translocated, and stand there taking the beating from the sister while waiting on his ~3 seconds of casting gate for you.

I highly suggest hunting the 2 named sisters near the western shore of the island that are in a hut. One of them drops a regular Long Sword every time that sells for a minimum of 9pp with garbage charisma and up to 11pp with better charisma. You can effectively hunt these 2 and their friends near the docks at 30. I'm sure it's doable earlier than that.

*** As a nice tip, if you want to hunt there and not be bothered with heading back and forth selling the belts, create a human enchanter that starts in freeport and have him/her sit on the island. You can drop a few bags full of belts, log off your beastie and log on the alt and sell the belts right there on the island. Back before there were any expansions for EQ I was able to pull in over 300pp in only 3 levels there. It was insane!  :shock:
Dedlee Beatdown retired
Troll Beastlord of Lanys T'Vyl
(moved onto WoW - Mannoroth server, same name)

hfa3

Quote from: danacondaWhat level are you? And what race? If you don't care about wood elf faction (like there's anything to do in those trees anyways) you can head on over to the Sister Island in the Ocean of Tears.

Ahh yes I forgot about the sisters.  I did many lvls there back with my necro, pre Kunark..   I am lvl 27 Vah Shir but care nothing for the wood elfs.

Thanks for the reminder.  :roll:

danaconda

The hunting there is better now. I'm sure you know about the high elf merchant across the way on AC island. Not sure if she'll sell to you, but the gnomes they added are permanent now, so getting TP'd back and forth from freeport to sister island is a snap!

If you take the gnome from freeport, it will drop you off on the little peninsula that is to the left of the docks (if you were facing the island from the boat). The gnome for the way back is directly on the docks. If you went there around the level you are now, then you know who and what to hunt. And there's always the dorfs on other side of the island to help you avoid boredom!  :twisted:

Once you get around 33ish the exp will start to dwindle, so head on over to Crystal Caverns. I'm sure I've made a guide for that zone somewhere in this forum. Very nice cash flow there killing orcs!
Dedlee Beatdown retired
Troll Beastlord of Lanys T'Vyl
(moved onto WoW - Mannoroth server, same name)

Penedora

After bringing 4 characters up in the world of Everquest, my newest and fifth addition of a beastlord is now working her way up with Paludal as well.

And might I say that I am so damn SICK of the jingling of coins I could just spit >.<

Taiglin

Am tired and bored at work so reading old threads that I hadn't before. This cracked me up something fierce.

"I went to Kurn's Tower at 15.....Went to 17 in two levels. "

<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=841014">Taiglin[/url] 70 Iksar Beastlord
Nameless - <a href="http://www.foolsrepublic.org">Fools Republic[/url]