Main Menu

Tips and Tricks updated 1/2/04

Started by DiosT, January 03, 2004, 01:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiosT

Post by Lewzephyr, edited by DiosT

Below is not my original work, but information I have gathered from various resources (EQdruids.com and Usenet were the big ones)
I hope it is of use to you all.
As usual, if you see any glaring omissions, or inaccuracys, please post a reply with as much information so it can be added.

Tips and Tricks

Performance / Raid settings

/SHOWGRASS OFF reduces lag in newer zones with moving tree branches

/showspelleffects off will remove the most of the pretty spell effects.
To remove the rest, you will need to go into the display options to remove the new particle effect.

/shownames off turns all names off so you don't get lag from all the names. Good for raids.
/shownames 1 (reduces everyones name to just thier first name)
/shownames 2 (reduces everyones name to first and last)
/shownames 3 (Shows title and whole name)
/shownames 4 (shows guild, title, and wholename)

/hidecorpses all or /hidecorpses allbutgroup works well to get rid of dead bodies that you don't need to loot and are interfering with targetting.
Targeting your corpse and typing /loot will also loot for you.

For pet classes: Pet will always have its last target's corpse targetted if you haven't cleared its targets or given it new attack order yet. So if a mob dies inside a wall, assist your pet, go next to the wall and type /loot.

Shift - (minus) to lower clip plane without having to switch to options.
Shift + (plus) to move clip plane back out.

If you are on a high-speed connection, find the file datarate.txt in your EQ Directory and change it so the value is 8. This will cause larger packets to be downloaded to you (decreasing lag) ( have heard of values higher than 8 causing frequent LD on zone)

Casting

Ducking Interrupts Casting Immediately... rather than trying to run or jump, duck will stop it.
-To stop a spell while mounted, type /dism (for /dismount), then hit duck.. This is especially useful for stoping the LONG cast time spells

/target will target the closest thing whose name is unique. This works on mobs too. For example. There are 2 players named Fred and Fredrick on the raid, both not in the group. Fredrick needs healing. Type '/tar Fredr' and as long as Fredrick is within 50 feet of you (forwards or backwards - doesn't matter) she will get selected to be your current target. If you type '/tar Fred' and both Fred and Fredrick is within 50 of you, your current target will not change since 'Fred' is not a unique name

/tgb on - lets you cast group spells on another group without having to be invited

/rt will return a tell to the last person that gave you a tell
It actually returns the target of the person, that send you a tell. Providing they are within range.

alt+# 1 - 8 casts the spell in that spot

Arrow keys left and right flip through the pages of your spellbook if you have it up

/book # opens your spellbook to page #.

Right click on a empty spell gem will bring up your spell list menu.
Right Click on the "open spell book" image brings up the save spell set.

/memspellset index/name (/memspellset buff or /memspellset 1) to mem your spell set.

Cure disease will cure Slow

Cure poison will cure Tash

If the cleric has divine aura on, or the bard is playing their divine aura spell, they will not teleport with you nor will they succor.

General

To get into The Hole, go down to the bottom where the pond is in Paineel. When you are in the water, in the upper right portion of the rocks there is a hole you can squeeze through. Wolfform helps in doing this. Keep trying and eventually you'll make it through.

/ttell. Targeted tell. Useful for sending a tell to the owner of a corpse. Works for the living too
Once you remember to use it (you can use it on corpses) it's amazing. Ever talk to someone with a horribly complicated name to spell at a glance? Target them and /tt.

/join <channel name> will have you join channel
/list will list all the channels you are in
/list # will list all in that specific channel #
/# to speak in a channel
/leave <channel #> will have you leave channel
/autojoin <channel name> will make you autojoin that channel.
/autojoin channel is a toggle. To stop autojoin just retype it and it will leave autojoin.

/rsay or /rs have you talking in the raid channel (PoP only)

For characters with pets, pressing the respective group select function key (F1 - F6) twice will target their pet, provided the pet is within 50 feet of you.

Pressing F1-F6 targets respective person in group, F1 being yourself.
If you press the F1-F6 key again you will target the individuals pet.
F7 targets the closest player in view
F8 targets the closest NPC in view

Pressing 1-10 initiates respective Hotkey

/doability #number
abilities 1-6 are standard abilities and 7 – 10 are the combat abilities.

When creating the macro's, you can put " /stand " on the first line to save yourself time having to find your stand hotkey, and on the flip side you can use /sit (note: /sit can be used as a toggle)

%r returns the race of a player character.
%s returns the subjective pronoun (he, she, or it).
%o returns the objective pronoun (him, her, or it).
%p returns the possessive pronoun (his, her, or its)
%m gives back your pets name

' is a shortcut for /say
: is a shortcut for /emote

/assist <target> will target what ever that person is targeting.

/assist will target what ever that person or MoB is targeting.

/doability # will perform the numbered ability
/do # works as well.

To not auto attack when you type /assist, type either /assist off or in your EQClient.ini file change AttackOnAssist=TRUE to read FALSE

If you need to cast after running, tap a short turn before casting to avoid having an interrupted spell. (This forces the server to update your location so it doesn't think you're still running)

You can left-click-and-hold an inventory slot and drag-and-drop it into an empty hot button. So, her Crucible of Escape is always available for use without opening her inventory.

After you hit the "r" to reply to the last person you can also hit the "tab" key to cycle through all the people that have sent you a tell. Up to 10 I think. Useful if you are talking to several people at once.

To check if you are hidden or sneaking type /target <your name> If it targets you, you are not invisible.

To find a corpse that is missing, make a hotkey with /target <player name> and run around hitting the hotkey. When you are in range of the corpse, you will see the name appear in your target window. Then type /corpse to summon it.

How to drag multiple corpses:
Make a hotkey(s) with the following:
/pause 20,/consent <name1>
/pause 20,/consent <name2>
/pause 20,/consent <name3>
/pause 20,/consent <name4>
/pause 20,/consent <name5>

/ho <macro name>
/hotbutton *Name_With_No_Spaces* *First Line Can Have Spaces*
Thus...
/hotbutton Help /g HELP ME!!!
Gives you a hotbutton that when depressed says
"HELP ME!!!" to your group.
Slightly pointless addition, but you can have spaces in a hotbutton label if you use quotes.
i.e. /hotbutton "Shout Help" /g HELP ME!!!
creates a hotbutton labelled "Shout Help". The only thing is, if the label is too long, when it wraps, part of it may drop off the bottom of the button.

etc for as many corpses as you need. You will need to move slowly, but you will be able to summon multiple corpses along as one giant pile.

Hold shift down and hit pageup or pagedown and you will scroll the main chat window up or down 1 page at a time.

Shift and up and down arrows will let you scroll through what you have previously written. Comes in handy when someone has missed your tell or reply.

Ducking significantly reduces falling damage when running on hilly terrain

To stop moving quickly while on a horse, just click off the horse icon

Sitting causes Agro with mobs. This can work to your advantage if the mob doesn't summon. If you need to keep a mob off the tank for a moment, sit and as it comes towards you, stand back up. This is known as ping ponging the mob. The mob will go back and forth between you and the tank.

" – " on the numberpad is the Default Key for Screen shot

cntrl click picks up a single item from a stack
shift click picks up an entire stack of items
This also works when you are purchasing/selling items. To buy only one of any stackable type of item, hold the CTRL key and click BUY. To buy a stack, hold the SHIFT key and click BUY. Do the same thing to sell single units or whole stacks.

/autoinventory will take whatever's on your cursor and put it in your inventory. Very useful for tradeskills.

When looking at a merchant's inventory, hold your cursor over the inventory and press alt -- you'll be able to see the names of all items without having to click on each one.

/toggleinspect off Will keep you from inspecting someone everytime you try to click on them (I found this very annoying in groups).
/toggleinspect on will turn it back on.

To put a comment in your profile that others see when they inspect you, go to a non first person view(F9), target and inspect yourself, and type in the box.

Grab a KEi, load up your cheapest, fastest casting spell for the skill you wish to raise and head to the Plain of Knowledge zone.
Begin casting whatever spell you have chosen, on yourself. the spell, be it a de-buff, DD or DoT, will not effect you, but will still raise the skill. buffs will work as normal.

One more thing to add:
You can shorten any command to just the letters required to make it unique,
and some commands have explicit shortcuts.

Examples of shortest unique command:
/shownames and /shown
/ttell and /tt
/target and /tar

Examples of an explicit shortcut:
/tell and /t
/gsay and /g

Terms

ML: Main Looter, Used in mainly in LDON or Raids

MA: Main Assist, the person that tells everyone else what to kill.

MT: Main Tank, the person who you try and get a mob to hit

ST: Secondary Tank: backup for MT if stuff happens.

SA: Secondary Assist: Backup for MA if MA goes down or MA misses something.

OT: Off Tank, person who is tanking a mob that the raid force is not trying to kill at the moment.

MA is not the same as MT its just that some people do both jobs at the same time. The only real difference between MT and MA is that MT doesn't have to know what mobs are more dangerous or what mobs are mezzable, but the MA does (otherwise you're not doing your job). Usually one person can do both jobs at the same time.

Rampage is an extra round of attacks, that a mob can do, that hits the first person on the rampage list.
Mobs that rampage have a hate list and a rampage list. Rampage is not changeable, you enter at a specific point, and that is where you remain (well, you can't lessen your position on the list I should say.. when somebody dies, you go up a place).  Some PoP raid mobs can AE rampage and hit everyone in the mob's melee range at once.

At the point of agroing a mob, a MA and rampage tank will "agro" it.
This sets the following 2 lists
AGRO LIST RAMPAGE LIST
MA MA
SA SA

Now the raid engages, the agro list will change (e.g. clerics and debuffers will rise), but the rampage list is unchanged
AGRO LIST RAMPAGE LIST
MA MA
Cleric1 SA
Enchanter1 Cleric1
Shaman1 Enchanter1

10 minutes on... the lists would look something like
AGRO LIST RAMPAGE LIST
MA MA
Wizard1 SA
Rogue1 Cleric1
Monk1 Enchanter1

Rampage will never hit the MA either (if the mob is meleeing you, he can't rampage you)

Another is Flurry: 4 extra attacks on 1 target (whoever the mob is currently beating on)

Common battle tactics, and why? i.e. MT gets in front of mob, no one hits till they call it... then all melee stays behind the mob. Why? When is it useful? When is it not useful?

Attack from behind.... Because mobs riposte. When a mob melees for several hundred, if you take a few ripostes you are going to be substantially low on health and requiring healers to focus on more than just the MT/MA. Also, because parry, block, riposte etc don't come into play from behind, so you will do better damage.

Legacy tips, preserved for fun:
QuoteDropped swords/daggers point north
Clouds always move east to west
Moss only grows on the north side of trees

Rarr

Just noticed a few things that might need changing. Awesome guide otherwise though. :)

Quote/ttell. Targeted tell. Useful for sending a tell to the owner of a corpse. Works for the living too

***snip about 15 lines/paragraphs***

Once you remember to use it (you can use it on corpses) it's amazing. Ever talk to someone with a horribly complicated name to spell at a glance? Target them and /tt.
These seem like they either belong together or one taken out. Kind of superfluous. :)

QuoteHow to drag multiple corpses:
/corpse <name1>
/pause 2
/corpse <name2>
/pause 2

/ho <macro name>
/hotbutton *Name_With_No_Spaces* *First Line Can Have Spaces*
Thus...
/hotbutton Help /g HELP ME!!!
Gives you a hotbutton that when depressed says
"HELP ME!!!" to your group.
Slightly pointless addition, but you can have spaces in a hotbutton label if you use quotes.
i.e. /hotbutton "Shout Help" /g HELP ME!!!
creates a hotbutton labelled "Shout Help". The only thing is, if the label is too long, when it wraps, part of it may drop off the bottom of the button.

etc for as many corpses as you need. You will need to move slowly, but you will be able to summon multiple corpses along as one giant pile.
Again, seems like it should be directly following the paragraph concerning pulling multiple corpses; the manual hotbutton creation paragraph seems a little out of place.

Quotecntrl click picks up a single item from a stack
shift click picks up an entire stack of items
This also works when you are purchasing/selling items. To buy only one of any stackable type of item, hold the CTRL key and click BUY. To buy a stack, hold the CTRL key and click BUY. Do the same thing to sell single units or whole stacks.
Lists CTRL for buying both single and stacks. For buying a stack, it should say SHIFT. (I'm sure anyone reading could infer the correct key from context, but still...) :)

QuoteHold shift and up or down arrows will cycle through the messages you have typed

***snip about 8 or so entries/paragraphs***

Shift and up and down arrows will let you scroll through what you have previously written. Comes in handy when someone has missed your tell or reply.
Redundant.

Don't know if you would want to change it if it's not your original composition, but I figured I'd throw those out there anyway.
Rarr!
52 Beastlord
Zebuxoruk

Dummkopf

I think the way /showspelleffects works has been changed. Now it removes all spelleffects or allows those that have been selected in Options (like Me + NPC, my favourite raid setting).

tkyn

For those pesky Tak adventures when the mobs die in a wall, you can use "u" or whatever it has been remapped to, to target a corpse. You have to be pretty close. Then you can type "/loot", so you don't have to manually click it with the mouse (since you probably can't see it to click anyway).

I know about the /target soandso's warder; /assist, this is just another way to target a corpse if your warder has moved on.

Something you might add, I didn't see it in there.
Tkyn - 70 Beastlord - Veeshan

Vyke

Quote from: DiosT
Ctrl - (minus) to lower clip plane without having to switch to options.
Ctrl + (plus) to move clip plane back out.

It's Shift - and Shift + to move the clip plane.  

Thanks for the great guide!!  It's nice to have all of this info in one place.

Updated, thank you... -DiosT
- Vyke, Iksar Beastlord from Terris Thule
  Magelo profile

Xalmat

The corpse macro can be shortened to:

[code:1]/pause 20,/consent rogue
/pause 20,/consent rogue
/pause 20,/consent rogue
/pause 20,/consent rogue
/pause 20,/consent rogue[/code:1]
This allows up to 5 rogues to be hotkeyed at once. Alternatively anybody else that can drag corpses will be good too.

[65 Arch Convoker] Sage Xalmat Lunaire (Human) <Enshadowed> ZONE: brellserilis
[65 Archon] Eiyana Lunaire (Gnome) <Enshadowed> ZONE: brellserilis
Lead Librarian/Moderator of The Magician's Tower

DiosT

I would like to thank everyone who's posted feedback on this..

I've tried to update this with the posts.... please post more of your 'tips and tricks' and I'll try and add them in... though please help me and do the 'work' of making a through comment ;-) lots of these new DX9-based changes are not something i can give personal feedback on anymore.

Kherryn

In LDoN dungeons, most mobs' names begin with "a whatever soandso".

Using "/target a" will target their corpses (closest one, really).  Useful when for some reason or another you cannot target the corpse.

Tardar

I have had this printed for quite a while, and keep it close.  One thing I never saw in there is /rt

This targets the last person to send you a tell.  This is what we use during raids if anyone needs anything.  We ask everyone to send tells for buffs, or cures.  This is fast and easy, and reduces the amount of spam in channel.

Exopa

If your mob dies in a wall.. assist your pet to target the corpse and then /loot like suggested above.

konria

one item that i would like to know is how to insert additional text to an afk msg.
Konria Whitepaws (Vah Shir)
Defiant Forces
brell

dainfrol

Quote from: konria on January 20, 2006, 08:46:57 AM
one item that i would like to know is how to insert additional text to an afk msg.

when you want to add text after your afk message you type: "/afk [space*] insert message here"

*I typed the word [space] simply to indicate you need to have a space there.
WildbloodXikahtizuDragonblood - 75 - Beastlord - Luclin (Veeshan)

Grolyn

QuoteIf you are on a high-speed connection, find the file datarate.txt in your EQ Directory and change it so the value is 8. This will cause larger packets to be downloaded to you (decreasing lag) ( have heard of values higher than 8 causing frequent LD on zone)

I think SOE took this feature out a while ago.  When I did a clean install of EQ, the file never appeared and when I inquired, someone said SOE now adjust the rate dynamically to maintain the best connection quality regardless of your connection speed.  So this info is now outdated and can be removed safely.

Khisy

QuoteHow to drag multiple corpses:
/pause 20,/consent <name1>
/pause 20,/consent <name2>
/pause 20,/consent <name3>
/pause 20,/consent <name4>
/pause 20,/consent <name5>

I'm not sure if that is for consenting, or dragging, but both are much easier now.  For consent: In options there are 3 buttons, consent raid, consent guild, consent group.  Push all three, and never have to type /consent again.  Ok rarely :wink:

To drag corpses, target the one you want to drag, and type /corpsedrag.  You can run around all you want, and that corpse will stick to you like a shadow.  No more spamming your /corpse button.  To stop dragging the corpse type /corpsedrop.   I think you can only drag 2 corpses at a time, but I'm not a rogue, so I don't know for sure. 

Kanan

u can autodrag 2 corpses & /cor spam one more for a 3rd.
Kez's Magelo 85 "Arch Animist" of Final Empire on Povar