Main Menu

New login poll...

Started by Tastian, June 03, 2004, 07:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyphen Wilder

I could probably see that there might be some people that try and mass farm for drops for RL money, but I really don't think it is going to be any more then there is now.  For too many people this is just a game, not a business.  And on another thought, considering the size of Yanti/IGE, would Joe Schmoe be able to compete against him and his corporation even if SOE did make it legal.  Would be like a small programmer trying to outdo Microsoft.  Now, if SOE actually took it upon themselves to be the seller versus what seems to just become the middleman, Yantis/IGE would get smoked.  However, I really don't think that SOE would go that far.

Alerka, sorry that you have to resort to name-calling.  People are not gonna start doing something just because it is made legal.  There are not droves of players out there that are secretly harboring desires to sell plat or items, but just won't because it is against the EULA.  They don't because they don't find it in the spirit of the game, they can't see spending RL money on virtual stuff, or they just have a set of morals that is against it.

shenker

It's cheating period!!! I don't care if sony does this it's still cheating. Everyone needs to earn their way through the game plain and simple.

QuoteEnough with all the chest puffing and foot stomping threats of "I am gonna cancel!" You know you aren't going to quit because of your time invested, and if you do, it will no be long until you are back playing again.

I had a character that I invested lots of time into and I quit and have not come back. You know what? I sometimes miss eq but for the most part I don't because I don't feel like I am tied to a damn game anymore and it feels great honestly. Will I get involved with another timesink in the future? Most likely but for the time being....NO!!!
Shenker

Troll Wildblood on Test Server
My main since Dec 2001 through thick and thin.
I LOVE MY BEAST!

WOW- Shenker 60 Human Priest on Lightbringer. (retired)

Hrann

Check back on my posts - I am pro-EQ.  I don't bash the game; I've loved it since the day it came out and have never let my account lapse.  It is the game I was waiting for my whole childhood and into my adult life.  I know there are flaws, but I currently plan on playing this game until they shut off the servers, hopefully in the far distant future.

I try to be fair, and I will criticize SOE when I think they deserve it, and god knows the game needs improvement in some areas.

However, if they implement the ability to purchase anything in game that makes your character more powerful, I WILL quit.  I know it is going on now, but the people doing it are in the tiny minority.  And most of them are in "uber" guilds; they tend to have some strange drive to "win" the game, so I don't interact with them much.  It's a rare enough occurrance with the people I do interact with that it hasn't intruded upon my gaming, so it hasn't bothered me much.

If they did implement this, the flavor of the game would change.  I don't want to point any fingers or give some morality lesson, but I am not interested in playing a game where I can buy my way through it (or where everyone else around me is doing same).  There are plenty of other games out there, I will go play a different one.

If I leave, I'm not coming back; I can't convince you of this - it's logically impossible to prove, so if you don't want to believe me that's up to you.

Cyphen Wilder

I believe ya Hrann.  I have read your posts before here and know that you are pro EQ.  I would like to ask you the same question I did Lorath.  Is it the fact that SOE would condone the practice that would make you quit EQ?  If yes, that stance is in my opinion a moral stand, and while I do say kudos to a moral stand, I have to say that I personally would not let it get in the way of playing a fun game.

Hrann

It's really just not the type of game I want to play.  Actually I do on occasion play a game like that called Magic: The Gathering Online, but I only have room in my life and pocketbook for one of those.

When I started playing this game, it was because I wanted to play something similar to the MUDs I used to play.  I wanted an immersive MORPG.  Knowing that I can buy whatever I want, and that I don't need to go slay the creature would ruin it for me.  I know that I actually can do that now, but it erally isn't that widespread atm and I'm able to ignore the fact that IGE is around for the most part.

In addition, SOE won't have the limitations with respect to NO DROP and equipment that IGE has.  They could potentially make anything purchasable, including levels, AAs, zone access, you name it.

Crossing that line would take the fun out of it for me.  And I only play EQ for the fun.

The only moral problem I would have with the decision is that they told us this game was one way, and then went and changed the way their product worked.  Almost a bait and switch, although I know (hope!) it wouldn't be intentionally that way.

Cyphen Wilder

I see what you are saying.  I take it as I read it though, SOE wanted to be the middleman between two players wanting to sell items/plat/characters, and that is what the poll asks.  Nothing is mentioned of levels or AA or Flags.  They are not even talking about making money off of it.  Unlike Yantis/IGE where you can buy power leveling, AA, and probably zone access.

ghostryder

This is rather sad. Sony could take steps to eliminate this but instead exploite it.

They could, if they had a brain, implement an IP system simular to AO that would eliminate tweaking altogether and inforce the already in place rules and make eq great again, but they seem to want to continue to dumb down the game, which attracts a younger and younger player, and pretty soon eq's player base is the same as the god awful gang of misfits that make up the player base of other horid titles like SWG and CoH, though it could not possble ever get as bad as that crap game out of Korea which I won't even name.

You want easy- play Quake, Doom, Sims- this is eq- or it used to be- I'm not sure what it's evolved to but it don't look good.

rhorse

What if you had a sword you could get 15 bucks for, or 150pp. Now would you sell it? Would this almost put the bazaar out of business? Would this put a stop on "go ahead and take the sword I can't use it"? I wonder if this wouldn't become who has the most cash game.