Main Menu

Arbitor in POE

Started by Tardar, June 22, 2004, 07:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tardar

Anyone know for a fact what removes his AE dot?  I have heard a rumor that only Remove Curse will fix it, not RGC or Pureblood.  Can anyone verify?

Thanks

Rhaynne

Dispel magic.

It's not worth the effort though.  That is a burn down fight.

Zend

Elemental Judgment

It does not have any counters so there are no counters for Remove Greater Curse or Pure Blood to remove.  The only things that will remove it are those that have remove detritmental, which are:

Radiant Cure
Purify Soul
Hierophant Zendernor <Forlorn> Natureguard
Venerable Zenderous <Forlorn> Feral Lord

Derrict

Don't rely on dispell, either.  By the time the randomness removes the debuff, it'd be on you again.
[65 Marauder] Derrict (Halfling) - Retired
[65 Feral Lord]Ferome (Vah Shir) - Retired

Whraith

Just throw everything and the kitchen sink at him.  We have tried max range, we have tried dispelling, we have tried maxing resists.  The best thing that works is kill him and kill him fast.

Expert Artisan Whraith <Decade> and good old Fred the warder.
70 Vah Shir Beastlord of the Nameless

Mindlet

I have to laugh at our first and only attempt to kill him so far. We were running though the caves and opps a wizard hit wrong key and evacced their group to the zone in. Needless to say our guild leader was less than impressed. But then when were were actually in the fight he was botting a druid and went to hit ae wood and missed and he succored his group to the zone in.  :D

seravok

Oh you should be able to resist the AoE 95% of the time if you can max your MR 500. Try get over 400 if you can with buffs and Fero and hopefully the bard MR resist will get you to 500.

I hardly get the AoE as long as my MR stays at 500.
Elder http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=744645">Seravok Moonwalker. - Savage Lord 70 Beastlord - Eci Server.

Tardar

Thanks for all your help.  The main reason why I asked was so we can figure out how to cure our MA, to try and help the agro ping pong, since the AE is also a slow, the tank loses agro.  My GF, who is a druid, was put on chaining RGC on the MA, but it didn't cure, so we were confused why.  Now we know.

Liga

I believe that resists only need to be around 230 before a bard's song will get you to 500 with ae song.  Thats the number stuck in my head from Bert and TT from Time at least.  I could be off, but its close to 230.

Rhaynne

Resists can go higher than 500... alot higher.  They just aren't shown.  This makes a huge difference when fighting mobs with massive resist adjusts.

Zend

is it true that resist over 500 while not shown on the user interface,  DO actually do something?  someone has proven it somewhere?
Hierophant Zendernor <Forlorn> Natureguard
Venerable Zenderous <Forlorn> Feral Lord

Derrict

No, it's hard capped at 500.

Bengali

It's hard capped at 500, but it's unclear that having resists over that are useless.

For example, stamina is capped at 305, but if you get hit with an AE that is -100 to stamina it doesn't mean that you automatically only have 205 stamina.  If your stamina would be 400 from gear and buffs (but 95 points are wasted because of the "hard cap"), then the AE will only bump you down to 300.

While resists are hard capped at 500, all that definitely means is that the game calculations will never use a number greater than 500 as part of the formula that determines whether you resist something.  

If, however, you would have 600 resists in something and you are hit with an AE that has a -100 mod, it hasn't yet been shown whether the game treats your save as 500 (600-100) or as 400 (500-100).

Sometimes people say on a certain encounter that resists were useless because they still got hit with a certain AE (with say, a -300 mod)  even at 500, while others say that they resisted all or most of the AE at 500.   One reason could simply be the RNG.  Another could be that one person was barely at 500, while the other person was way over.
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Derrict

Every other skill and stat is hard capped, I wouldn't see why resists would be any different.  When you have a resist debuff and go below 0, you have a negative resist check. Does this mean the spells land on you easier?  No, it'll land on you as if you were at zero since the resists bottom at 0, stats bottom at 1.  Currently anything over 305/355 stats is useless until you are debuffed.  Any resist over 500 is useless until you are debuffed.  It's evident when you have high resists with gear, ferocity, any bard resist song, and any resist buffs.  Those who have been farming Quarm for 1+ year can tell you having "700-800" in resists doesn't make them resist any of the AEs any better than being near 500.

Bengali

Quote from: DerrictEvery other skill and stat is hard capped, I wouldn't see why resists would be any different.  When you have a resist debuff and go below 0, you have a negative resist check. Does this mean the spells land on you easier?  No, it'll land on you as if you were at zero since the resists bottom at 0, stats bottom at 1.

You're talking about two different things.   For example I could say, "every resist debuff subtracts from the total resists you have, even if you only have 500 showing, so I don't see why negative resist mods would be any different."

Like I said before, the fact that things are capped means that the game will never use a number less than 0 or greater than 500 to determine whether a spell lands.  That is a completely different question than what happens when you are hit with a -100 mod spell -- THAT question is: "what is the 100 subtracted from?"

Quote from: DerrictCurrently anything over 305/355 stats is useless until you are debuffed.  Any resist over 500 is useless until you are debuffed.  It's evident when you have high resists with gear, ferocity, any bard resist song, and any resist buffs.

The operative phrase is "untill you are debuffed".  We can all agree that if you have 600 MR the game caps you at 500.   We can also agree that if you get hit with tash and lose 50 MR, you'll still be at 500, because the game effectively subtracts the tash from your total MR, even those that are not displayed.  So the question is, does the game calculate the effect of a resist mod the same way it calculates the effect of a resist debuff? (with the difference of course being that one is just a spell-specific check and the other is a lasting effect)

If the answer to that question is yes, then having resists over the cap will make a difference.  I honestly don't know the answer, but I don't think anyone really does since they haven't actually tested it and instead go with gut feelings and assumptions.

Quote from: DerrictThose who have been farming Quarm for 1+ year can tell you having "700-800" in resists doesn't make them resist any of the AEs any better than being near 500.

Farming Quarm doesn't have much to do with it since Quarm isn't the only mob with  negative resist mods.   Quarm also is not an ideal example because he is a level 80 mob, and has a high chance to land spells on you similarly to the way you have a high chance to land spells on a level 50 mob, and resists therefore matter less on him than on other mobs.

As for what people can "tell you", my point is that really doesn't amount to much because no one has really done a valid test to really get to the bottom of it.  Rhaynne , for example, "tells you" something that is the opposite of what you say, and she's been farming Quarm longer than I have.   Similarly, I could "tell you" that back in my elemental farming days (ah, memories) when I was able to get my cold resists very high (400+ pre-bardsong) I resisted lots of Grioihin the Wise's AE, which has a -350 mod, whereas some guildmates who were barely at 500 will "tell you" they got hit by it every time.

But none of that is really scientific information, which is why I said that no one has proven it either way.
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"