Main Menu

Leveling help or AA versus Levels debate...

Started by Banga, July 18, 2004, 01:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banga

In order to properly answer this question, you must first determine your play style.  Personally I'm after the most time efficient way to ultimate power.   If you're like me, time is the most critical factor, than the ONLY way to level is to get to 65 first.   Let me explain.

First like many, I've already leveled up several another characters, so I "know" EQ.   In my case I made a beastlord and this would be my 3rd to level 65.  So I fully intended to do it the fastest way possible.   I did this without powerleveling, except for the first 15 levels.    So from 16-65 I never soloed, I only grouped.  The thing with solo versus grouping, over time the group xp is always higher.    I would also sometimes play my main in another group, while leveling my lowbie.   Only did this pre-pop since the leveling at those ranges was incredibly mind numbing, and boring.  

Prior to 65 the only AA I received was from doing planar raiding, IE: PoJ Trial, Grummus, etc.  I only did these because ultimately it would save time.   Otherwise my xp went fully into experience.  

Now I will explain why this is the best method, if time is your measure of success.    First and most important, the level 65 groups are far superior to any others.   Except in very rare cases, if someone is not 65, they are not going to contribute as much to obtaining xp fast as someone who is.  (INSERT random nonsensical flame here all those not 65).     Now of course exceptions can be made for healers, since levels not as important for a cleric.   For everyone else in a group, make sure they are the highest level possible.  

When I was looking for groups, I always tried to be the lowest in the group and tried to move to the next zone when I was at the lower level range required.   I was able to do this, quite simply because I am a skilled player and usually once grouped people realized this.   For instance a zone like PC has a range I suppose of about 12-24.    I would come into PC at level 12, and stay until about level 20, then move on to the next zone.  Rather than trying to suck xp up from a zone, when what I was hunting turned green I moved on.  

If the group sucks, I would leave.  Do this with caution though, and give the group a good several chances.    I would frequently try to help with group out, in a nice way by sending private tells on strategies.   If they were too stupid to listen leave.   Usually though people would listen and that bad group would turn into an excellent xp source.    

Now most people use level as a factor when picking a group, if I could not get a group because I was a low level, I could always return to the previous zone where they were still mostly blues with a few greens.   Once I did get a group in the new zone I tried to stay until I gained at least one level or two, then I was no longer at the low level range for the zone.  

Next pointer, dont move around in zones.   Ask around and find the best places to level and stay there.   Do not chase loot, plat, or AA until you max your levels.    EQ is a level based game, everything else is secondary, including skill.   Use this to your advantage.  

Worry about AA and gear when you're 65 because you will get both much faster.   Since you are mostly grouping, gear is not critical.  Finding a good group is far more important.  Don't solo, EQ is not a solo game, except in rare cases.   If you want to solo, find another game.  

End result, I'm well known and respected on my server.   I'm level 65 with 150+ AA, EP flagged, VT flagged, best baz level gear with several nice EP pieces, in a great Time level guild, all with about 35 days played time on this character.   I could have done it faster, but wasn't in a race and I did waste quite a bit of time helping others, just standing around talking etc.   The key was when I was leveling, I was focused.  

Also important try to play a class groups want, IE: Healer/Buffer/CC/Tank, and of course Beastlords.  Don't play a solo class then spend all your time whinning because you can't get a group.   Another point, dont listen to these fools who say you have to level slow to "learn" your class.  Anyone with half a brain and experience with other games in this genre can "learn" any EQ class in a month.   The way you play your class will change entirely once you're 65 and then again when you raid.   What you do from 1-65 with no AA will not be the same when you're 65 with 100+ AA and raiding.   So push yourself to 65, then you will really "Learn" how to play your class.

Life is hard but its a lot harder if you're stupid...

Hereki

That's a good explanation - of why people say they powerlevel, because playing the lower level game is boring.  In truth, it is what you make it.

JillieMT

A decent powerlevel guide. But only decent. To summarize: ride the coattails of characters higher than you for xp to 65, then raid to be handed gear... not exactly front page news...

Me, personally, I disagree with nearly everything you said. I enjoy playing EQ as much as you do, but I have a completely different playstyle. So, you are implying that not only am I playing wrong, but I am also not playing the right game.

QuoteDon't solo, EQ is not a solo game, except in rare cases. If you want to solo, find another game

If I didn't take this guide for what it is (a semi useful powerlevel guide), I would almost find this offensive, lol.

You forget that not everyone is in a raiding guild. Not everyone has the time to sit at a computer for hours on end on a raid.

And I do believe that you need to play a class to learn. Sure, if you are just grouped up and...
1. /assist
2. /pet attack
3. /pet follow
4. buff
5. Auto attack...

how have you learned anything? As a solo'er, I...

1. Heal myself, and cleric the pet... depending on situation
2. Tank myself, depending on situation
3. Buff
4. Pull
5. Position pet and myself
6. Travel without the aid of others... I LEARNED how to run through SG... a group will typically succor, eh?
7. Deal with the consequences when I screw up: corpse run by myself, making up for not being able to get a rez in the middle of nowhere...

All on my own. Hard earned EXPERIENCE. I know what spells to pull with in what situations. I figure out pathing on my own. I know how to control agro between the pet and me. And I do have at least half a brain.

QuoteI'm well known and respected on my server. I'm level 65 with 150+ AA, EP flagged, VT flagged, best baz level gear with several nice EP pieces, in a great Time level guild

OK... not sure which server that is, but here on MT, given just that info, you would be considered average at best. I have a reputation as well, as someone who KNOWS her class and her capabilities DAMN well.
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Banga

Like I stated at the beginning.  If TIME is your greatest concern, my method will get you there fastest...

I started out not wanting to deal with groups, so I set up a 3-Box.  Its nice XP when I want, but I find it so totally boring to 3box I couldnt do it any more.   So not only is XP faster in a group, I myself, find it far more enjoyable.

1. Heal myself, and cleric the pet... depending on situation   Um DUH, if you're almost dead heal self, if pet almost dead heal pet.  If both almost dead, run to zone.  BTW: Grouping with a cleric does wonders.  Most of the mobs I fight my baby heal wouldn't matter anyway.  A good beast IMHO should NEVER be a pet cleric.  Again: NEVER BE A PET CLERIC!

2. Tank myself, depending on situation  Um Duh, Tank yourself, back off to heal self while pet tanks, move back in.   NOT Rocket science here people.

3. Buff   Um....YES!

4. Pull   Again not rocket science.  I pull ldons and GoD trials.  Best way to learn is to get a few bad pulls, then say...Gee I try a different method next time.

5. Position pet and myself   Position pet before fight, I can put that mob where I want it.  Again takes the skill of a 5 year old to figure this one out.

6. Travel without the aid of others... I LEARNED how to run through SG... a group will typically succor, eh?
Well my "expanded guide" would tell you to avoid old world zones and only hunt in PoK.  Gee where is that PoT stone again?

7. Deal with the consequences when I screw up: corpse run by myself, making up for not being able to get a rez in the middle of nowhere...
Two words....Necro/Cleric BOTS

To emphasize again, I simply posted this to perhaps help those questioning AA or Levels.     This isn't for the person just starting out with a beastlord.  This is for people like myself who have played EQ for years and still fighting with the debate of AA or levels first.    If you want to min/max in EQ the fastest:  group, level, AA, gear in that order.   There you go, the secret it out.

JillieMT

Quote from: Banga

Um DUH

Um Duh

Again takes the skill of a 5 year old to figure this one out.

Very nice, thank you. It's these little tidbits that make me glad this was moved from the library to here. Skill of a 5 year old to pull, eh? Too bad your posts don't reflect the same skill...

QuoteA good beast IMHO should NEVER be a pet cleric. Again: NEVER BE A PET CLERIC!

Such nearsighted tactics is the first sign that you don't really know how to play this class... there are many solo situations that you pet cleric... if you haven't done them, then you clearly do not have the experience that I and many others here have, no? If all you do is group, then... well, I guess you need a group...

QuoteWell my "expanded guide" would tell you to avoid old world zones and only hunt in PoK.

Wha?

QuoteTwo words....Necro/Cleric BOTS

How is that beastlord strategy? You aren't LEARNING a class and its capabilities, you are LEANING on your other classes.

Banga

Someone must have figured out how to use cut and paste.  How about now figuring out how not to over use it?

If you can't add anything to a post positive, then dont, move along now.

neight

"First like many, I've already leveled up several another characters, so I "know" EQ."

And as always, that's the first sign that you're dealing with a moron.

Neight
Neight Wulfe <Requiem>
75 Barbarian Beastlord
The Tribunal

JillieMT

This "guide" could be further picked apart by people who know more than I do. But I can see that it offers nothing in the way of playing the class. It offered nothing to the Level vs AA debate. So what, group to 65, then get AA's... OK, I know what you feel is important, but how does that add to the debate? What are you trying to say that much better beastlords than you haven't already said?

I am just curious as to how you will clarify the few bits that I quoted.

Xarilok

This has to be the most useless piece of crap on these boards.

Someone that plays like you promtly gets a /disband from my groups, as I don't have the time, nor the patience to deal with slackers and morons.

Only hunt in PoK?? Wow, last time I was there, it was only filled with merchants and trainers, wonder what you are hunting.

If you meant only hunt in PoP, well, that is one of the crappiest, most poorly designed PoS expansions ever, and had PoK been opened to all from day one, I wouldn't have bought it then, and still wouldn't have.  I'll take killing 5 old world mobs that drop an average of 20p each in 1/10 the time it takes you to kill 1 PoP mob that drops nothing any day.

You are problably that idiot that zoned into dreadlands when I was there killin, and shouted for a group repeatedly...EVEN THO MY PET IS HIGHER LEVEL THAN YOU.  Riding the coattails of others to 65 gets you there maybe a bit faster, but I am sure it also got you on plenty of people's ignore lists, as you begged over and over for a group you were too low level to be in.
Venerable Xarilok Loungelizard - 62 Beastlord and Cat-Hater extrordinaire.

Rukais

Ahhh...this reminds me of eqclasses.com.  My main, 65 necro, has to put up with that site for info/gossip/news ect...I came to THIS board to avoid that absolute CRAP on that site...and here it is again.

Going to quote someone's sig pic here...don't remember who or where but I remember seeing it  

QuoteFighting over the internet is like playing in the special olympics...even if you win you are still retarted

Sorry. /Sigh had a long ass day and I guess I just let this get to me.
~Rukais Greyclaws

JillieMT

What exactly do you see here that offends you Rukais?

Tighe

I lost IQ reading that.

There's no "debate".  You play the game how you want to.  If you let someone tell you how to play a character you design...well...maybe you shouldn't be playing this game at all.

In my case, I did an equal amount of levelling/aa'ing between 51-60.  The result?

I dinged 59 and bought Paragon at the same time.  I had a ton more HP's than any similarly equipped beastlord my level, and I was a MUCH greater contributor to groups.  I could give a crap about being well known or respected on my server.  They're not the ones paying for my account.

I'm not at ALL saying that "I" have the "best" way to do it, I'm saying that's how "I" did it, and that's all.

That being said, when I meet 65 beastlords who are "saving up" for paragon...it makes me feel like I'm a leg up on them, no matter what gear or flags they have.

Keelo Graeham

So by this morons logic, my level 60 beastlord doesn't contribute as much to a group as some PL'd idiot who can't play his class to the fullest?

GOOD.

I would shoot myself if I took a game that seriously.
Keelo Graeham - 60th - Savage Lord - Brell Serilis

kegulik

Quote from: TigheI lost IQ reading that.

You and me both.  Good thing I got plenty to spare :)
Kegulik

Banga

Looks like I touched some nerves.  I'll basically put my long theory into a few short sentences.

If you're wanting to get 65 and lots of AA's with the least time spent.  Level to 65 the fastest way you can, then farm AA's in PoE or PoFire.  
I average an AA every 30-45 min in an EP planar group or GoD xp camp. In BoT an AA about every 75 minutes.  

If not, go about it your own way.