Main Menu

Leveling help or AA versus Levels debate...

Started by Banga, July 18, 2004, 01:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oneiromancer

Quote from: ghostryderTake 2 characters and one goes to 65 and one stays 60- each needs plat for spells- the one who farms that plat at 60 will get AAs will they do it, whereas the one at 65, now needing the same spells- must farm plat too- and you know what- they farm at the same exact camps and it takes them just as long but the 60 toon is getting 3 AA a night and the 65 toon is lucky to get a single blue bubble because the mobs con light blue- both are at that camp a month or two- depending on the amount of plat needed, but the 60 has his plat plus AAs, and the 65 only has his plat.

Well, my situation was very different.  61-62 spells were super cheap, except for Infusion of Spirit, and I got that one off of an Ethereal Parchment in my 50's some time.  EPs are not hard to get for sure, and even if your luck is bad I never saw IoS for more than 1k.  63-64 spells are a different story, of course...but I found myself pretty welcome in BoT even without my 65 slow (something is better than nothing when no other choice is available) and I got several Spectral Parchments.  The only SP spell I had to buy was Spirit of Sorsha.  65 Beastlord spells are also cheap on my server...I think I paid 7 or 8 k for each of them.  And I was able to have that much saved up from just lucky drops in LDoNs or farming.  So perhaps I am very atypical...but everything worked out very nicely for me and I never saw a reason to slow down levelling.

And by the way, a 60 beastlord and a 65 beastlord aren't going to spend exactly the same amount of time farming anyway...the 65 will kill a lot faster and so will spend less time getting sub-optimal experience for the same amount of money.  There is a HUGE difference mowing through Seb now compared to when I tried in my high 50's.  Velks I chain pull 2 or 3 at a time and can keep most of the upper levels cleared...and this was very soon after dinging 65, not now after 121 AAs.  And with a kill rate that fast you WILL get noticeable AAXP from light blues.  Not a lot, but it's visible.  And when you fill up your bags 3x faster than the 60 beastlord you can go do something else which gives better experience.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

ghostryder

Well, luckily for us our spell layout plat wise isn't all that bad- we want our 64 pet, SD, but thankfully we really don't have the plat layout a cleric or a shaman does for instance.

Those two classes are looking at 200k up farming- and so It would probably be a lot better to stay at 60 to farm that plat- Used to be plane of growth was a sweet farm area a level 65 could enjoy- 15k worth of gems a session, but they changed the argo on the mobs now preventing that- so a good spot is still AC- where swords and masks average 10k up each , tunics about 6k and the robe about 5k (used to be more when the robe had a plate look- but now its just a robe graphics)

Camping and looting all areas is cake at 60, earns 3 to 4 AA a night (3 hrs) and 30k a day average if you get at least a couple drops (some luck here is involved- I've had duplicates of each some nights and none on some)

But for us beastlords we have a pretty good chance of getting our own spells while raiding- or if already in a guild a chance another beasty will offer up a spell at a decent cost-

But if a player hasn't entered a guild, it may be worth concidering earning a 200k in AC before leveling-if not only for spells but a few armor pieces he's not likely to upgrade quickly at first in a raiding guild like some ornate boots or a lodz shield-

here you can not only grab the needed plat- but your basics in AAs will be finished as well, along with the class AAs and when you do level now your only AAs you need to focus on are the PoP, GoD ones that were 62up-

So the AA slowdown isn't that big an issue while you raid- or do LDON -making life all the more sweeter at 65 to start.

To me, It's well worth stopping as the  extra AAs and cash make less worries at 65, where I can enjoy raiding and doing whatever without having to worry about 'farming AAs to get paragon' or whatever your guild is asking or your wanting- you already got them at 60.

ghostryder

QuoteAnd by the way, a 60 beastlord and a 65 beastlord aren't going to spend exactly the same amount of time farming anyway...the 65 will kill a lot faster and so will spend less time getting sub-optimal experience for the same amount of money. There is a HUGE difference mowing through Seb now compared to when I tried in my high 50's. Velks I chain pull 2 or 3 at a time and can keep most of the upper levels cleared...and this was very soon after dinging 65, not now after 121 AAs. And with a kill rate that fast you WILL get noticeable AAXP from light blues. Not a lot, but it's visible. And when you fill up your bags 3x faster than the 60 beastlord you can go do something else which gives better experience.

Not true on all acounts- as you can see from my above posts I prefer AC for farming, and the primalist, ritualist, and so on spawn on a timer- and its the same spawn time whatever your level- The level 60 or 65 will be killing the exact same number of kills as well, as its easy even for a level 60 to keep both ritualist and primalist rooms and the hall clear as all mobs are on a 25 min timer. Deeper in is the same with the robe and swords drops, working both camps is easy for either level.

However, the 65 can venture into the castle and get the shaman boots, warrior mask and earring that'll give him a heads up in the bazaar but AA intake isn't all that great as the mobs die slow. (though its better than the mobs outside the castle)

At 62 mobs outside castle still offered pretty good AAs, tough they were light blue, but at 63 up AAs pretty much crawled- like a blue a night.

TerjynPovar

Quote3 to 4 AA a night (3 hrs)
I call utter BS on this.

Quote60 toon is getting 3 AA a night and the 65 toon is lucky to get a single blue bubble because the mobs con light blue-
Nothing light blue to a 65 is within the 5 level limit for an XP bonus from 60, so if the 60 got 3 AA, the 65 would get 1.5 AAs, assuming the exact same kill rate.  Given how much quicker a 65 can kill...the only way this will happen is if you are some place where you are already killing every mob there, even at 60.  Acrylia Caverns certainly does not qualify under this category...even if you are keeping the room you want and the hall near clear, go pull a little farther away while you wait.

Now I'm going to presume that you mean they light blue/green out, as opposed to just light blue...well go somewhere else!  Quest drops in Droga sell for a ton in the bazaar, plus you will get faster XP in Droga as a 65 than you will in AC as a 60.  At least if you claim a realistic rate of XP gain, as opposed to your BS number quoted above.  And note, Droga and AC are hardly the only two places for this, but these are two of the more well known.
Terjyn, Retired Feral Lord on the Povar Server

ghostryder

3 to 4 AAs in AC for a 60 character is not BS- I've done it with many alts over the years - and the drops in AC are far more common and valuable than those in Drogo- though if I was level 65 that's where I'd head-

The blue a night in AC is also from personal experience- and that AA bar barely moves- 1 blue bubble is accurrate.

If you have the alts try an hour in AC with both- or find a 60 level already in AC and do the comparrisons yourself-

Now for BS, the statement AAs come faster at 65 would qualify- because in actual play any level 65 isn't averaging near 100 AA a month- in fact his average is probably below 40AA.

That's not only from personnel experience, but looking at the profiles of a ton of level 65 players-

There's zone the 65 can go in that give terrific AA intake, but in actual gameplay that 65 player simply isn't in those places enough to up his overall average-

So in a given 6 month time, the player who stays 60 for 3 months and farms then goes to 60 will have his spells, his bazaar buys and over 300 in the bank-

The 65 player will like hae his spells and bazaar buys but only have about 120-150 AA in the bank in the same time- if he has more AAs from farming them (which I've never done in my play life) he's likely still lacking some spells or bazaar items as its really not possible for the 65 to kill 3 birds with one stone like the 60 player-

Argue the point all you want, but your own profile, and any others you care to look out bares it out-

There's a ton of reasons a player may want to get to 65, but AAs isn't one of them.

neight

Quote from: ghostryder
and the drops in AC are far more common and valuable than those in Drogo

:lol:

Now for BS, the statement AAs come faster at 65 would qualify- because in actual play any level 65 isn't averaging near 100 AA a month- in fact his average is probably below 40AA.

That's not only from personnel experience, but looking at the profiles of a ton of level 65 players-

There's zone the 65 can go in that give terrific AA intake, but in actual gameplay that 65 player simply isn't in those places enough to up his overall average-

Right; Earth, Fire, GoD sewers, KT ... always empty. Hell you could do 100AA a month in BoT, if you somehow were immune from the morons in the zone.

So in a given 6 month time, the player who stays 60 for 3 months and farms then goes to 60 will have his spells, his bazaar buys and over 300 in the bank-

Or, you could do all your plat farming in less than a month at 65. Lord knows Spirit of Sorsha, Arag's/Rellic, SD, Celerity, IoS/Kragg/SV, Frost Spear, etc. would assist in farming, and none of them are expensive any more. Once you're sufficiently geared and have Revenge and Ferocity, farming AAs goes even quicker. Try leaving AC.

if he has more AAs from farming them (which I've never done in my play life)

You're just plat farming and the AAs are a side-effect?

There's a ton of reasons a player may want to get to 65, but AAs isn't one of them.

Hit 65 with your beastlord and venture out of AC. There's a whole world out there.

Neight
Neight Wulfe <Requiem>
75 Barbarian Beastlord
The Tribunal

TerjynPovar

Well ghosty, you are 100%, the absolute FASTEST Beastlord soloer in existence.  I actually DID solo this camp at 60 with Terjyn, and I didn't gain AA XP at even remotely the rate you are claiming.  3 hours per AA I'd buy.  So I bow to your godlike skills, as you obviously are infinitely better than I am.

Frankly, your credibility is shot claiming that you gain that rate of AA at 60, in Acrylia Cavers, fighting low dark blues.  That's faster than Wizards/Druids can quad kite XP at those levels.  The only person who might be able to attain that rate of AA gain at those levels soloing is a bard who is swarm kiting...and I'm not convinced of that.

QuoteArgue the point all you want, but your own profile, and any others you care to look out bares it out-

This just shows how weak your position is.  You have *NO IDEA* how long I was level 65, nor what I did prior to leveling to 65, yet you are trying to use me as an example of your lunacy?  Spare me.

Put up or shut up.  Show us your Magelo so we can all stare in Awe at your 600 AAs at level 60.

This whole thing boils down to simple math.  XP per mob is based off the mob's level squared, while AA XP is a constant.  Killing higher level mobs slower gives faster AA, unless it's a whole LOT slower.  High Con bonus is a linear multiplier as well, and hardly applies to mobs which go light blue at level 63.

You cannot twist out of it by using things such as "motivation" and "desire", because frankly that's ludicrous.  A 60 will lose their drive to solo in AC same as a 65 will in Droga.  During the time they have their motivation, given that the time is equal, the 65 will crank out more XP, thus more AA.

ghostryder

There's nothing fast about an AA per hour in AC - nor is it hard to achieve- and I seriously doubt you actually were that much below that unless you were AA naked with no mana regens or focus items and had serious downtime.

6 - 8 kills is a blue, which is once around one room- do the hall and the other room and your halfway there- one repop the 2 rooms and hall will get the the half - concidering a 25 min repop if your keeping the room clears this should happen every 50 min- course there's rebuffs so the extra 10 min in the hour is a good blanket-

As for your profile- its all over the place- from here or the other beast boards -

I don't use Magelo - and besides I zoomed to 65 with my main who is AA poor because of it.

My alts- however- who have stopped at 60 each had over 300AA before 65 , in about 3 months - which simply doesn't happen at 65-

look at any guild site who keeps track of AAs- there's dozens out there- and see if you can find any 65 doing better than 40 per month-

To here you guys talk about 8 AA per session you all should be doing 240 per month-

Sorry, I'm 65 too and I know how they play out in actual gameplay- and they suck at 65.

alky

6 - 8 kills is a blue,

6-8 a blue ?

so that's about 175 kills for an AA. Under 60 min, that's mean 20s between 2 pulls.  They have something like 6k hp.

So you're saying that at level 60, you can dish out more than 300dps consistency during 3 hours ?

Maybe you meant 1yellow AA/an hour ?
Seigneur de la Sauvagerie Alky
65 Beastlord on Sebilis

Skratchen

This whole argument is kind of funny to me.  It's kind of like someone saying that they prefer Phyllis Diller over Angelina Jolie in the dark just because they think Phyllis *feels* better to them.  How do you argue with a person like that?  :lol:

Hey Skratchen!! How many times did slow get resisted on that last mob? Oh, three or four times...

TerjynPovar

Alky summed it up perfectly, ghostryder has proved himself to be a flat out liar.  You are NOT killing 175 monsters per 45 minutes to an hour, which is the pace you'd have to to match your original claim.  FFS you'd be clearing more than the entire area outside the castle(And I mean zone in towards burrower + everything from zone in to castle) to kill that many monsters per repop.

People don't do AAs at 65 that fast because they don't WANT to.

This has precisely ZERO to do with your claim that they *CAN'T*.  And if you don't see the difference you are an idiot.

Although it's funny.  There are only a few hundred Beastlord AAs worth even bothering to buy, call it 400.  By Ghost's logic anybody who's been a level 65 for more than 10 months is automatically gaining AA at a rate slower than his mythical one at 60, simply by virtue of longevity...and there is nothing they can do to change it, as they've been level 65 too long.  Pure lunacy.

By the way, I was level 60 *longer* than I was level 65, and I gained 24 AAs at 60, 2 each from 61-64, and 46 at level 65.  Why might this be?  In less time I got nearly double the number of AAs!  And, as already stated, part of that 60 killing was in Acrylia Caverns, the very zone you continue to lie about...either to yourself or others.

The reason your 65 AA rate doesn't match your 60 AA rate is your 60 AA rate is a lie, pure and simple.

Noxdowne Draggout

If I wasn't EP flagged and could do it all over again, I would have paused at level 60 and went to town in Velks on the spiders with SoF on my pet and soloed a million aa's.

Okay maybe not a million, but I can tell you the exp there at level 60 for aa's was fantastic.

Trying to weasel my way into higher groups was never an issue and I did rush my way to 65. I played a paladin for 57 levels first and I played that char almost 2 1/2 years. Nox here is 1.5 years old and has 167 aa's and is time flagged.

I missed a ton of content with him in the quest to get to 65 asap.

Don't rush it, don't use this guide and have some fun without being perceived as an uneducated player.

Nox

ghostryder

Excellent posts Noxdown- you've summed it up-

But let's me make myself clear- I never said it wasn't possible for a level 65 to get AA intake like a level 60- what I said was once you turn level 65 your not in that situation long enough in actually gameplay to do it- in other words a 65 can, but never does - mainly because of other interests-

What's 'possible' is not as relevant as what's 'likely' . You can say to a person get 65 because it's 'possible' to get good AA intake overall or you could be more accurate and say it's possible but its unlikely because most of your overall time will have you at AA poor spots- be it camping, leveling, raiding, farming-

I think some of you have a math problem-and a convinent memory of how AAs play out at 60, or most of you have never stopped for any length of time at 60- but overall nothing at 60 in AC outside the castle has 'tons of hitpoints'- that comes in at 65 and inside the castle- like most mobs the 65 ends up killing that are blue to him at 65-

My 65 has been inside the castle numerous times fighting and no way on gods green earth, you active imaganations or paper number crunching did he ever get close, or even to half the intake my 60 toons enjoyed outside the castle = and it's not just in AC as mentioned earlier- velks and myraid of other spots have excellent AA intake- which can only be matched by a 65 in PoP zones, in certain spots and under certain circumstances - and no way in the world does the 65 stay at any for any length of time for it to ammount to equal AA intake the 60 toons enjoy everywhere they go.

And that's the difference- how you play determines you AAs, not what looks good on paper or what's 'possible' . And how most 65's actually play they all would have been better off stopping for a while at 60.

TerjynPovar

Nox didn't sum up anything, his/her point wasn't even remotely related to yours, other than to say "Slow down and smell the roses as you level", which still isn't remotely similar to your bullshit claims that a 65 can't just go AA like a 60 can.

Quoteoverall or you could be more accurate and say it's possible but its unlikely because most of your overall time will have you at AA poor spots- be it camping, leveling, raiding, farming-
This is a prime example of your complete and utter bullshit.  You can just as easily go AA at 65 as you can at 60.  Why won't you admit this?  Just because people choose not to doesn't mean they can't, or that it is even unlikely.  Conversely, a level 60 can just as easily go camp, raid, or farm stuff.  As a matter of fact, what you are describing is camping/farming.  Note that claiming a 65 is off leveling is humorous to say the least.

Post a level 60 XP gaining log in Acrylia Caverns or admit that you are lying.  At first I thought you were just exaggerating, but by your own posting you say you take 6-8 kills per blue...which gives a rate of killing of 3 mobs per minute.  *THREE MOBS PER MINUTE*  Do you understand how much of a liar this makes you look like?  Beastlords can't *EVER* solo three XP mobs per minute past about level 10.  Very well twinked a little further, but at level 60?  Why do you think nobody is backing you up on your XP rate at 60?  Find me one person who believes your rate.  I'd bet money Nox won't claim an AA per 45 minutes at level 60 even if s/he would stop there to AA if they had to do it again.

Look up the Logical Fallacy Burdon of Proof.  It's clear that you are failing this at the moment.

Claims like yours about AA at 60 are prime examples of why people think Beastlords are overpowered and need to be nerfed.  And if you really could do that at 60 we would be overpowered at that level and in desperate need of a 60ish nerf.

ghostryder

QuoteThis is a prime example of your complete and utter bullshit. You can just as easily go AA at 65 as you can at 60. Why won't you admit this

First, I don't go AA anywhere- you keep putting words in my mouth that I say level 60's go 'AA hunt' - nonesense- At 60 there is NO NEED. They come as you do other things-

The 65 HAS TO GO AA to do what the level 60 doesn't even have to think about-

In your plan you zoom to 65, then have to go farm plat, then go farm AAs, which all take away what you really should be doing at 65-

A person that stops will never EVER have to grind AAs-