Main Menu

Pet summon

Started by Birdienumnum, July 27, 2004, 05:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdienumnum

Mob positioning, tank positioning, melee positioning, and pet positioning is important most times, and critical on some occasions.

Seeing a group/raid fighting a mob, with ALL the pets at the same spot, along with the melee classes, makes me shudder at times.

Positioning the pet at the start of a fight takes time, but is manageable.
However, when the mob moves off, it becomes a problem.
At the moment, the way I go about this is to run to a spot I want the pet, back off the pet, and use follow to get the pet to me.  This takes far too much time, I feel.
I have altered my routine, in that I run to the spot I need, engage the mob, get the pet by my side, move backwards to move the pet, have the pet attack, and I move back to the mob.

( I have a macro, "back". /pet back off /pet follow)

Pet summon justs takes too long to be useful in a fight.
My suggestion is that beastlords get a new discipline, "pet summon". This would be quick, and make the lost time from DPS be quite short.
The timer could be similar to the "frenzy" timer.

I suggest this, as a means to keep the beastlord effective as a melee.  Having the group/raid loose the combined DPS of the beastlord and warder for even a little time is not good.
I am sure that some folks have had other classes make remarks about the beastlord moving away from the fight at times, either because of moving the warder, or because of casting, and the mob moves out of melee range.

We are a melee class, and should be maximising our DPS.

In conclusion, what does this community think of having the pet summon spell changed to a discipline?
Birdienumnum

Eatbugs

Unfortunately, such a discipline is unlikely to go in due to other ways in which it could be used.  At present, you can summon or suspend a pet only if it's not on some mob's hate list.   This is for good reason - there are all kinds of tricks you could play with pulling and aggro if you could summon or suspend a pet under any circumstances at all.

(By the way, you don't need the /pet follow line in your macro unless you've parked your pet somewhere.)
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

Birdienumnum

"pet follow" makes the pet run, as opposed to the normal stroll.
Birdienumnum

Eatbugs

Quote from: Birdienumnum"pet follow" makes the pet run, as opposed to the normal stroll.

Only if you parked the pet prior to trying to move it.  If you didn't give it a "pet guard here" command, the pet will run (not walk) after you every time you back it off.
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

Xarilok

I think the point was to make a macro that causes the pet to run to its master with 1 push, so /pet follow, whether needed or not, is needed in the macro, to allieviate funny things happening if you happened to park the pet somewhere else.
Venerable Xarilok Loungelizard - 62 Beastlord and Cat-Hater extrordinaire.

Tytallia

Keep SoW or Shrew on warder at all times.

Hit your Pet Hold key once, warder runs to your side (I never have it guard a spot unless I'm soloing/exping and pulling to that spot). Only problem here is if he's got aggro and is being chain-summoned.

Take a step back if necessary to get warder behind the mob and then Hit your Pet Attack key... which has /pet back off as the first line right :)

That's what I do anyways.