Main Menu

2-boxing Qs

Started by Tigrah, January 20, 2016, 06:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigrah

I had started to 2-box a long time ago, but was doing it all by hand... had been raising a shamy, with intent to raise a cleric, enc, and mag as well (for buff reasons hehe). I am putting serious thought into 2-boxing seriously. I must admit that the druid is my prefered alt, for the listed reasons in another post. I do not know how to start a 2-box scenario with any hope of more than a headache, and was wondering if anyone knew of a guide I could refer to, or could give me advice on how to 2-box wi/out getting banned?
Savagespirit Tigrah Battlebeast of The Rathe.  85,

Whillowawhisp. Druid, currently 40

Archfiend Gravrrobrr Tombraidrr my crazed Drakkin SK

Tirienth Spiritcaster My unintentionally retired Shamy

Fear the mighty ball of yarn, for I shall chase it, and leave chaos in my wake.

Baelance

I 3 box all the time and I don't ever worry about being banned.. I just alt tab between my windows and generally don't have an issue.  As long as you aren't using something that goes against the terms of service you should be fine.  It will take some practice you have not boxed before, and I would recommend setting up as many hotkeys as you can.

Tigrah

ok. I never could figure out how to open multiple instances of EQ. Is there a trick to it?

Khauruk

I recommend you download WinEQLite.  It's not necessary, but it makes it a bit easier.  And it's free.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Tigrah

Can you explain WinEQLite a little bit Khauruk?

Zorthaz

I 2 box all the time and sometimes 3 box with a free account.  If you want to keep from bogging down it helps to make a second (or more as needed) copy of your EQ folder, one for each toon you plan to box.  Make sure you only have logging running for one instance. Setup shortcuts to the individual folders.

I connected a second monitor to my PC so I could see what both toons are seeing.  I 2 box a bard and use him to pull and it makes it nice to have both views.

-Z-
Savage Lord Zorthaz - 110 - Scaled Wolf herder - Tunare

Illiyana

There is also a script you can use that forces multiple instances of the game to run on different CPUs, but it has been so long, I have forgotten it.  I will have to look around to find it.
~Illiyana Wolfmother~

Khauruk

Their website does a better job than I.

In short, though, it has the ability to force instances to run on different CPU cores (though EQ does alright with this nowadays, I think).

It allows you to have multiple instances load with different INI files, so each instances can have different window sizes, different resolutions, different models, and all the settings that are in eqclient.ini.

It allows you to cap frame rate for background/foreground instances so that they can play nicer with each other.

It 'fixes' how EQ captures the mouse when you're playing in windowed mode (the only way to play).

And a variety of other features.  It's free, and the features are listed here:  https://www.lavishsoft.com/wiki/index.php/WinEQ_1.38#WinEQ_1.38_Lite_Feature_Set

Download it and try it, it's easy enough to move away if you want.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Tigrah

sounds like a little more than this lil laptop can handle. once I get my own pc I'll prob try it.

Khauruk

This helps more on a cheap laptop than on a good PC.  You can set the second box to a lower resolution, old models, and all sorts of good stuff to help speed things up.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Tigrah

I'm definately going to look into this program, once I have my own pc. ATM I'm using my mothers, and it's Windows... I intend to set up a Linux PC, which means buying the version for Windows would be a little pointless in the long run. Guess I do things the hard way until then lol

Khauruk

Uhmm, it's free.  WinEQ*Lite* is the free version.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Tigrah

Well, so far the alt+tab method seems to b working very well. I must say tho, a Jt5 healer kinda makes the druid heals a little useless lol

Khauruk

Yep, except for hard things.  This means you can do harder stuff and need the extra debuffs and heals, or you can use it as puller/CC and debuffs/mediocre DPS, or you can dump the healer for a wiz merc.

There's some great druid DPS threads on the sony forums if you wish to go that route.  Those druid debuffs attack debuffs are amazingly awesome for beastlords as well, since they're like adding a permanently worn shield.
TURNCOAT!!!!!

Illiyana

Also with the new pet aggro rules, you could let your pet tank and you heal it. 
~Illiyana Wolfmother~