Main Menu

What are beastlords "best" at, what defines our cl

Started by Toiler, August 05, 2004, 11:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toiler

I've played my Beastlord for a while, mostly solo or duo with a longtime Necro friend. But after 65 level and 200 AA's I can't think of a single thing that makes us the best at anything... Perhaps I've missed something...

Warriors - best meatshields
Pally's - Undead slayers, decent tanks (need upgrades)
SK's - Best meatshield taunt, good pullers
Rangers - Trackers, and best long term DpS/low aggro.. period
Druids - Porting, Damage shields, healing, animal pet charm
Wizards - Best short term DpS, porting
Mages - Strongest pets, Second highest short term DpS, summons items
Clerics - Healing and most useful epic
Monks - Best all around pullers, toss up w/rogue on melee range DpS
Rogues - Best all around corpse draggers, pick locks, toss up w/monk DpS
Necros - FD, Rez, group heal, strong pets, can feed mana to other casters
Bards - Best AE raid/group manaless effects
Enchanter - Best Crowd control, Best Mana regen buffers, Best charm
Shaman - Best buffers, best slower, best debuffer, great DoT's
Beserkers - No idea, not many running around

Beastlords. In raid/group terms I can't think of any role we are required/sought after for. Of the essential group roles, Meatshield, buffer, Slower, CC, Healer, DpS, puller, and tracker. The best we get is 3rd best slower, yet most classes point to us as being "over-powered".

2 sustained pets would be nice, 2nd best group buffer would be nice. Ah but this is a pipe dream... Or am I missing something about our class...

Xarilok

You have a few things a bit out of proportion.

Pallys have the best taunt, sk's are second, and sk's need a bit of help tanking, since they dont get the stun-mitigation boost that pallys do.

Rogues are top dps, rangers and monks are quite a bit behind.  High-end rangers are doing more melee dps than bow dps now, so they are not the lowest taunt either.

Monks are still not the best pullers, bards still take the top spot, followed by chanters, then clerics, then pallies, then rangers and druids if outdoors.  Monks have no way to split more than 2 casters, and if they pull 2 or more, no way to dispatch adds.  Bards have lull, mez, charm, highsun, fading memories, eye of zomm (more useful than you can imagine) etc etc.

Chanters are NOT the best mana buffers...bards are.  Group Marr is level 61, AoE Marr is 63 and both are 20 mana a tick, VoQ is only 18.

Rangers seem strong DPS-wise because they can get to 59 and get AM3 and EQ then BUY an elemental bow and do good dps....rogues have to LOOT an elemental weapon.

Beastlords are overpowered because we are:
3rd best slower
4th best tank (warriors, sk/pal, ranger/rogue/ber/monk, beastlord, bard, shaman, druid, int caster)
2nd best pet
5th best healer
2nd best long term mana buffer
Best stat buffer

etc etc.  We have the most varied spell line up, with powerful spells in many different situations.  Its the combination of strong, but not best, abilities that make beasts so strong.
Venerable Xarilok Loungelizard - 62 Beastlord and Cat-Hater extrordinaire.

Aneya

We are best at MGB mana regen over time aka paragon.

Other than that, its mostly enjoying the ride for me.
EQ Aneya 70 Beastlord Tarew Marr
EQ2 Evalin Swashbuckler Mistmoore

Grymlok

Wow, this is misinformation
Quote from: XarilokBeastlords are overpowered because we are:
3rd best slower
You started good...
Quote4th best tank (warriors, sk/pal, ranger/rogue/ber/monk, beastlord, bard, shaman, druid, int caster)
Looks like 7th best according to your list...
Quote2nd best pet
Umm.. not counting the 4 Mages pets that are better than ours, at last check, Necro pets were stronger too.
Quote5th best healer
I call a recount!  Cleric, Druic, Shaman, Paladin, Ranger... looks like we're 6th as long as you don't count pet heals (and since when do we?).
Quote2nd best long term mana buffer
Define long term  :P   SD doesnt even last long enough for MGB to refresh, and bardsong can be eternal...
QuoteBest stat buffer
How do you figure?  Shaman own us.

Quoteetc etc.  We have the most varied spell line up, with powerful spells in many different situations.  Its the combination of strong, but not best, abilities that make beasts so strong.
Strong, sure.  Overpowered?  No way.

The Berserker: Foecussed

Mneumenth

Ranger DPS 61-65 is inflated by easy access to Elemental Quality Bows + AM3/EQ.  this combo makes them seem to be a powerhouse.  In the BoT stage of a Ranger's career, they are.  Especially compared to their peers in equivelent bazaar gear.

However, Elemental forward, they fall behind as melee outstrips Archery.  In the "high-end" Rangers have the lowest DPS of the Melee/DPS classes.  The causes of this are many and will hopefully be worked.

These are but some of the reasons Ive tired of my 5yr affair with my Ranger.  

Thus was Mneu born...
Mneumenth
"When you absolutely, positively have to kill every motherf@#$er in the room...Accept no substitute."

Liga

Funny how you dont even mention Necros for DPS and druids for Nukes.

Mindlet

With the insane mana regen that top equipped wizards can do they are also best long term DPS.

Dummkopf

Beastlords are pretty well rounded around high pop/ele level, after that we fall behind especially in GoD. In the high end were just there for SD/Paragon and thats it, our dps is very low, our usability (stat buff, slow etc) is just not needed because it is subpar as well, our pets fall way behind in terms of power-progression. I dont ask to get shaman slows, monk dps or mage pets, but a small dps upgrade would be nice since that is really the only thing we can do on raids now (except SD of course or paragon).

ghostryder

I don't know about the '2nd best mana' claim

If bards are 1st, enchanters have gotta come before us placing us 3rd- but lets not forget as far as self mana necro's do better, can pump mana to someone just like Paragon as well-

As for our role- we're the guy you choose when the guy you want isn't available. We can pretty much fill any role except that of a cleric.

Vangetorix

QuoteBeastlords. In raid/group terms I can't think of any role we are required/sought after for. Of the essential group roles, Meatshield, buffer, Slower, CC, Healer, DpS, puller, and tracker. The best we get is 3rd best slower, yet most classes point to us as being "over-powered".
My gear is far from uber (Im a tad under 5300 hp unbuffed) but I can tank trash mobs in the elementals. I've been group slower for Kod'Taz groups and such too. While the beastlord is not a "required" class for an experience group, we have a variety of tools to bring to a group. My main gripe for grouping is the resist rate we sometimes get on slows. I'd like to see a built in resist adjustment on beastlord slows, or some type of resistance debuff (though not as good as Malosinia). Im sure there are many shaman/enchanters that would object to this, but I say too bad. We're the only slowing class that has to wait until 65 for our best slow (and require a rune or large sum of pp for it), has no clicky slow item in the game, and has no way to debuff resists in order to increase the chance for slow to land. I've gotten 4 and 5 straight resists against trash mobs in BoT before, and it's not really a rare occurance, if you ask me, that's unacceptable.

QuoteChanters are NOT the best mana buffers...bards are. Group Marr is level 61, AoE Marr is 63 and both are 20 mana a tick, VoQ is only 18.
Your example is somewhat flawed. Bards have to give up singing something else in order to sing the mana regeneration songs, plus they have to be near you, if not actually inside your group. In some ways, even Spiritual Dominion is better than the Bard Mana regen songs. You can find a beastlord in PoK, and if he's got SCR3 and some ext buff focus, you can have 1 hour+ of 9 mana/hp per tick, and go about your merry way to solo/group/whatever.

QuoteRogues are top dps, rangers and monks are quite a bit behind.
Rogues arent "top dps" in many situations. They're often out done by wizards/necromancers/charm pets, besides, I'd guess that a Time/GoD equipped monk could out dps a bazaar equipped rogue.

QuoteMonks are still not the best pullers, bards still take the top spot, followed by chanters, then clerics, then pallies, then rangers and druids if outdoors.
I dont recall seeing any enchanters/paladin/rangers/druids pulling on raids ;). Even in an experience group, monks are often more desirable pullers than these other classes, though I wouldnt be at all opposed to them getting some upgrades in this area. Besides, you forgot to add Shadow Knights to that list :P.

QuoteUmm.. not counting the 4 Mages pets that are better than ours
You gotta be kidding me :shock:.

The 50+ Fire pets are a total joke. Their dps sucks, their casting is way too random, and they cant tank for squat.

The earth pet I havent really played with since the pet tuning a few months back (retired my mage), but from what I hear, it still sucks for tanking (mitigation still a bit behind the air pet), and since it has lower DPS than air/water pets, and roots mobs, it's still a garbage pet in many cases (decent for chaining if that's your style I guess, or for ghetto kiting).

That leaves Air/Water/Monster Summoning. The MS pets are nice dps, and the stun is cool, but supposedly they're not much for tanking. The air pet is quite nice all around, and though his base HP are a bit lower than Spirit of Sorsha, he's still a respectable tank for a pet, and has decent dps. The water pet is nice DPS, but a piss poor tank.

So that leaves Ward of Xegony having a relatively small lead over Spirit of Sorsha (both designed as "bread and butter" pets), and MS4/Servant of Marr having situational advantages/disadvantages.

Quoteat last check, Necro pets were stronger too.
Check again sir :P.

Quote4th best tank (warriors, sk/pal, ranger/rogue/ber/monk, beastlord, bard, shaman, druid, int caster)
QuoteLooks like 7th best according to your list...
Beastlords can out aggro a monk/rogue/beserker, and possibly out tank an equally geared ranger (not counting weaponshield), since our avoidance is a bit better, even if hp/ac is lower.
Vangetorix, <Haven's Edge> 65 Beastlord of Stromm
Vandyin, 65 Magician of Stromm (retired)
Yandael, Enchanter of Stromm

If all else fails, outrun the halfling.

Mneumenth

I agree.  Comparably equipped/AA'd BL will "out-tank" a Ranger...despite the AC/HP disparity.  Better innate avoidance is the key.
Mneumenth
"When you absolutely, positively have to kill every motherf@#$er in the room...Accept no substitute."

Aneya

Quote from: MneumenthI agree.  Comparably equipped/AA'd BL will "out-tank" a Ranger...despite the AC/HP disparity.  Better innate avoidance is the key.

That is debatable. I've seen Rangers tank Kod'Taz named. Well until enrage killed him. I doubt I'd be able to do the same. Atleast not without getting a heart attack from worrying I might go splat even with 3 healers spam healling me.
EQ Aneya 70 Beastlord Tarew Marr
EQ2 Evalin Swashbuckler Mistmoore

Kherash

QuoteOther than that, its mostly enjoying the ride for me.

That's me too.
Kejah
75 Vah Shirl Beastlord
Prexus
SpiritWalker Guild

Chance favors the prepared mind.
Louis Pasteur

Coprolith

QuoteI agree. Comparably equipped/AA'd BL will "out-tank" a Ranger

Define 'tanking ability'  :wink:

We can out-agro a ranger im sure, but we cannot take damage better then a ranger, or any other melee class for that matter, as parses of class defensive capabilities have shown. When it comes to soaking up damage, we are in fact #8, because bards beat us as well. When it come to agro-management, we're prolly at the number 4 or 5 slot.

/hugs
Elder Coprolith III
Trollie ferrul lawd of 65 levels (retired)

Urim

QuoteBeastlords are overpowered because we are:
3rd best slower
4th if you include necros on undead

Looks like 8th from your list, and i must say your list doesn't look right. Think bards and shaman can tank better then us. Remember seeing a parse somewhere stating we were only above druids and other pure casters.

Quote2nd best pet
3 of the mages pets are better then our pet and when they fix fire pet im sure it will be as well. Necro pets can hit harder then us with higher focuses i believe (one of them can correct me but i believe Ritual Summoning benefits them more).

Quote5th best healer
Cleric, Druid, Shaman, Paladin, Ranger ... which would put us 6th

Quote2nd best long term mana buffer
If we talking buffing other people then yes we are second best class at doing that however i tend to think of bard songs being long term since they can sing them forever pretty much and most bards worth a dime can sing 4 songs at a time. Nowhere near second best spell tho. If we just talking mana regen in general then Necros beat everyone.

QuoteBest stat buffer
Shamans completely destroy in this.

So what was your point again? That we are mediocre in many aspects of the game? That we can fill a lot of roles to a lesser degree then other classes? I don't see how that makes us overpowered, it makes us wanted for groups mainly because getting those other classes is often very hard.
Maelin Starpyre
[80 Arch Animist] Urim the Library Guardian (Iksar) <Crimson Tempest>

'Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity'