Main Menu

Junk Beast

Started by Kivuli, January 04, 2004, 09:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kivuli

There's a lot of you out there that want the Secrets of the Planes. And almost all of you have sent me a tell about how to kill this, the most elusive of mobs for that happy book of planar goodness. So without further ado...

Kivuli's Guide
to ganking Junk Beast

First off, look at this map

//cstrike.uncg.edu/pics/JBmap.jpg>

Junk Beast spawns in the middle of the "junk yard". The junk yard is the area marked on the map with JB's name. Junk beast is a FORCED SPAWN, not a timed one. I've had him spawn not ten minutes after he spawned the first time.

WHERE TO GO

From zone-in, go right (red arrow) past Anizok's hut while killing everything in your path. Leave no stone unturned and leave no mob untouched. Set up your camp where the red dot is on the map. This will be a little nook with two spiders in it. This area is also known as "spider alley". Yes, you'll get those repopping on you every now and then but you don't have a choice in the matter.

Conversely, if you have brought a raid with you to sweep the zone in effort to pop him faster, start at the blue dot by Anizok's hut and wipe out everything along the path to the other blue dot. Then, move back and forth between the two, clearing every mob you see in the directions indicated by the blue arrows.

WHAT TO DO ONCE YOU'RE THERE

Kill everything you see.

No, I'm not kidding. It's just that simple. The best way to be certain of spawning the Junk Beast is to simply slaughter every mob you come across. Mass robotic genocide is key. However, if you want specifics I can give you a few more.

Junk Beast has placeholders that wander the zone. Apparently, any wandering mob can be his placeholder and those wanderers can pop just about anywhere in the zone. Sordin and myself did extensive testing and speculating with pieces of information we gathered across boards and with our own personal experiences and we are certain of these facts

1. Junk Beast is a forced spawn.
   2. Junk Beast's placeholders are any wandering mob in the zone.
   3. Junk Beast can spawn within minutes, or it may take you days of camping. It depends on how the RNG feels about you.
   4. Junk Beast always spawns in the junk yard and wanders around the clearing in that area.
   5. Junk Beast's aggro range is enormous and things in the yard WILL assist him.

What, dare you say, are Junk Beast's placeholders? Lookee here...

An Erratic Model (common)
An Archaic Model (they do sometimes wander but very rarely)
A Busted Power Carrier (uncommon)
A Scrounging Clockwork (common)
A Defective Clockwork (common)

Pay careful attention to track (if you have a tracker) and be sure you keep tabs on the placeholders. As well, everyone should keep an eye out for wandering mobs and tag them if you can so that they don't escape. An escaped mob can wander the zone for hours before it paths back to you!

WHAT ABOUT JUNK BEAST?

So you finally got the big meany to spawn, eh? Congratulations! That's the hardest part. Junk Beast himself is easily one-groupable if you have a solid group that is prepared to fight him.

The down-and-dirty

1. Junk Beast hits for 975
   2. Junk Beast IS slowable
   3. Junk Beast flurries rarely
   4. Junk Beast casts a short-range AoE unresistable blind/shadowstep about every 60-90 seconds
   5. Junk Beast procs a 400-500 dd
   6. Junk Beast has a lot of hitpoints

Don't worry about resisting the blind, it won't happen. Also, cure blindness or remove curse won't work either. You'll just have to suck it up. Junk Beast MUST be slowed or you'll have issues. Once he's slowed it's just a matter of keeping up the damage and controlling any adds you get.

Group composition should include some kind of healer, some kind of crowd control, and as much damage as you can get. If you bring two or more groups, the encounter is trivial. You don't need to have a defensive warrior tank Junk Beast, he just isn't that hard core. I, //www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=144465>a 65 beastlord, had no problems tanking Junk Beast with a 62 druid healing me. Sordin was there for crowd control and he ended up charming an add for even more DPS.

In essence, Junk Beast is a trial of patience and endurance. How long can you stand to kill mobs while waiting for him. Look on the bright side, you'll get decent experience by slaughtering everything that moves in Innovation simply by sheer volume of kills, and once you have this power source you will have gotten the single most annoying part of the Secrets of the Planes quest completed!

Kivuli

Copied over from a post I made on my guild's website. Sordin is a 65 bard.