Main Menu

Beast Lord Hate?

Started by Maraketha, August 23, 2004, 11:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maraketha

Was browsing the SOE Class Boards and came accross this little gem...

Wanna know what happened? The beastlord happened. The primary function of a shaman in groups is 1) slow. The beastlord has every bit as good a slow as a shaman. In fact, the beastlord is, in effect, a shaman that can fight and has a FAR more powerful pet. Think about it. The shaman slow is 75pct; the bsty slow is 65pct. That = no freakin difference. Even the bstlords buffs are EXTREMELY high lvl shaman buffs. Beastlords get celerity for cryin out loud. That spell is only 1 step down from the best shaman haste. In essence, SoE has completely eliminated the shaman by giving beastlords all the shaman abilities but none of its drawbacks (i.e. low dps). The beastlord has no weak points. His pet is superior to shaman. His spells are the equal of shaman. And lastly, his own melee ability far exceeds shaman. So, lets see...would i rather have a shaman in my group or would i rather have a shaman with a kick butt pet and melee skills to add far more dps. It's a no-brainer. As powerful a pet that the beastlord has, and givin his overall dps and high level shaman buffs, a shaman would have to be able to tank like a warrior just to get groups over the beastlord. How to fix it? Make beastlords mitigate like a blackburrow gnoll. And why not? Their pet is far superior and should more than make up for a lack of HP and mitigation. Futhermore, it would lend BALANCE between shaman beastlords and Monks. Effectively giving a shaman a fighting chance at getting groups. OR, take away the high level shaman spells the beastlord has. There are many ways to balance the classes, but continuing to upgrade casters and add abilities to already overpowered classes thru versitility is NOT going to work.

This was in response to a Bard who had posted begging SOE to fix Shamans because their numbers were dwindling and not available for high lvl content.

Why do some people hate Beasties?  Is it our fault we were given a nice slow and mini Shaman buffs?  I'm sorry Shaman feel left out by SOE, but that's no reason to decrease Beast Lord buffs or mitigation.  Why on earth would this person call for a nerf to us?  Why not simply increase Shaman abilities?

My goodness, there seems to be a lot of whining that goes on in those class boards (not just Shaman but others) in regards to our abilities.  Mages don't like us because of our pet and pet heals, and now Shaman don't like us because oh gosh, being their hybrid class we share some of their abilities.  I know Shaman are feeling the pinch due to being "left in the dust" as it were by SOE, and I'm sorry they feel that way, but there is no need to bash another class because you're angry about your own setbacks.

Now I like Shaman, I like Mages, heck I appreciate all the classes and what they can do.  Is anyone else frustrated at seeing other classes bash us?  Are we overpowered?  Do any Beasties feel we are just too powerful?

*takes a deep breath*

Ok, thanks for letting me get that off my chest.  Oh and Hi, I'm new to the boards.   :D   I apologise for my first post being a little ranty and long, but gosh do posts like the one I quoted ever make me angry.

Yzak

This article isn't very smart.  Since I retired a Shaman to play a Beastlord these are my conclusions.  I actually had this debate with a friend this very afternoon.  Shamans cannot properly do any sort of dps without drawing agro.  Another problem is that their heals are falling further and further behind.  The upgrades to Quiesence are good, but its only helping them in areas that weren't hurting.  The growing need for charm has also gave enchanters a big leg up over Shaman.  I was never a big fan of them putting Shield of the Arcane on pure-melee ornate BP and this reduced the need for focus.  

Anyhow, this is just due to Shamans going from one of the most powerful classes (around luclin/velious) to the weak class they are now.   :)
Wildcaller Yzak
Drinal Marr

Kaktarr

We are all the time bashed for being "too powerful",and we are very powerful,but if they want to nerf us,it is messed up!! :shock: ,make shammie slow 5% better or 10% better,and upgrade there spells,dont nerf bsts cause SoE gave us mini shammie spells,that are comparable to the shammies.
"It Really Is THAT Irrelevant"

Choppin

yea and if I swing my journeymans stick I can debuff like a shaman and my chloroblast is perfectly fine for exp grps, poor clerics / druids / shamans, oh and I never go oom too

such one sided BS info u posted there in the quote--

on noes teh bast'ord is takin me spot in easy ldons !
Choppin Lethal
Feral Lord

Bengali

You have to get used to it if you're gonna play a beastlord.  Half of what that guy posted is stupidly wrong.  The basic premise that we get all of a shaman's abilities with no downsides is plain silly.

Sure, if you have a group with a chanter, warrior, cleric, druid and mage, maybe you'd want a beastlord instead of a shaman for that last spot, because the shaman's healing isn't really needed and there are plenty of other debuffers.

But if you have a group with a Paladin, druid, bard, ranger and rogue, and you're going to do something tough or resistant, you might actually prefer a shaman to a beastlord, because the shaman can really help the druid out as far as heals are concerned, can play avatar bish to the ranger and rogue, and if the mobs are resistant then a shaman can use his -40 resist mod slow and maloxxxx on top of that.  And the group will have better stat and hp buffs than they would with a beastlord.

I have a cleric friend who won't xp in hard zones (Kodtaz/Qvic+) unless a shaman or chanter is slowing, because the more slow bounces the more mana he has to burn by spam healing the tank.
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Greyseer

Who cares what other classes say about us beastlords.

What I care about is what Beastlords say about Beastlords.
Greyseer Skullbasher

Fibbs

no offence intended but this needs to be moved to the rants forums if you were asking my opinion on the subject.

Welcome to the boards btw

Dummkopf

In KT we do fine, in Yxtta (nice xp zone btw) i wouldnt slow without debuffer, had my cleric-friend go actually as low as 70% mana there without debuff .)

Eatbugs

QuoteHow to fix it? Make beastlords mitigate like a blackburrow gnoll.

This person obviously hasn't played a Beastlord or seen one tank.  We already mitigate like a blackburrow gnoll - we're almost entirely avoidance based as tanks.
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

Merescata

QuoteEven the bstlords buffs are EXTREMELY high lvl shaman buffs

Saying things like this, "extremely", is like saying 'always and never'.   It's just not true.  Only one exception and the argument is moot.   These people need to get a grip.
Merescata
75 Vah Shir BST
Tribunal
Clan McEye

ghostryder

Every time I see a post like this it makes me laugh at the ignorance.

Ask any 2 boxer which class he would 2 box with if his main was a SK, paly or Warrior? He'll pick the Shaman over the Beastlord every time.

Only the original guy in the quote would have to ask why.

Coprolith

QuoteThe shaman slow is 75pct; the bsty slow is 65pct. That = no freakin difference

Talk about clueless. A 75% Slow will reduce a mobs damage output to (1-0.75)=25% of its unslowed dps. A 65% Slow will reduce a mobs damage to (1-0.65)=35% of its unslowed dps. That means a 65% slowed mob is doing 35/25 = 1.4x as much damage as a 75% slowed mob. That's also 40% less dps taken for the MT; a difference comparable to having a warrior vs a beastlord as the MT for a raid.

/hugs
Elder Coprolith III
Trollie ferrul lawd of 65 levels (retired)

Lorathir

Oh, it's a mycrazytrain thread.

In other words, a Bard is trolling on the Shaman boards by claiming to champion Shammy's. What a bore.

Chubaka

High level shaman spells?  WTF.  Most of the spells we get up to like lvl 49 shaman spells maybe a few fromt he low 50's.  Just like every hybrid gets from their caster parent.

I used to be a 60 shaman when i quit the first time.  At lvl 60, I could definitly "out-spell" the beast.  Only thing I can think of that is close is Avatar vs Savagery.

OH WAIT...... Acumen is a high level 56 spell.  Kragg and the uber CBlast is lvl 55.  My god.  There is power.

I would love to have Pox of Bertox and Bane of Nife.

Definitly in a raid or high level groups, shamans are better for slowing and debuffing.
Chubaka
65 Beast
Terris Thule

Magelo
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=934088

Sharrien

Want to see some beastlord hate?  Check out some of the old posts on the EQ2 boards.  The debate died down recently, but, my goodness! when it was going strong we were blamed for everything perceived to be wrong with EQ1.  Most of it class was jealousy or rage over us breaking the old crappy "holy trinity" perfect group mold.

The devs said no beastlords on release but myabe in an expansion.  A few months after release when the bugs are mostly worked out and they start thinking of expansions again, I'll be happy to throw some more gas on the fire and get people talking about beastlords again in EQ2.  Game on!  :twisted:
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden
Maelin Starpyre