Main Menu

Runners?

Started by Peta, September 03, 2004, 08:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peta

How do BSTs deal with runners when soloing?  I don't see any snare/root spells on our spell list.  Are there items we can get with these effects?  Or are there other tactics to deal with runners?

Nekokirei

Quote from: PetaHow do BSTs deal with runners when soloing?  I don't see any snare/root spells on our spell list.  Are there items we can get with these effects?  Or are there other tactics to deal with runners?

Eh, I'm only lvl 42 and relatively inexperienced with the class and weapons, but in regard to items, there are a few BST useable--there's a staff that procs a root, I think I've read about other items on the boards or seen them in the weapons spreadsheet.

In regard to dealing w/runners, I keep my Direct Damage spell up when soloing.  But a lot of its use depends upon knowing the mob.  The Basilisks I'mhunting don't add--unless it's a rare Genitor--but it's pretty effective for taking one out around 16% health.  I'm sure there are mobs of the same level range that it'll destroy and others that it would barely dent their hp %.

However, smart use of warder plus the DD can really help reduce adds--though again, you need to know the mob: short or wide aggro range, do they add, is 16% health a guestimated 130 hp or 300 hp, is your pet FF'd so as to proc stun, etc.

Yiktiki's really awesome do-it-yourself spreadsheet is located here:
http://www.beastlords.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=226

Good Hunting to You Peta!
Predator Nekokirei
An Officer and
Feral Lady to
Prophets of War -- Stromm

JillieMT

If I am soloing in a dungeon where runners are a problem, I will give the pup a Kunzar Kujuch or Serrated Bone Dirk. Both of those proc Engulfing Darkness which works just fine as a snare. On MT, they are both usually under 100pp, which is easily made back while hunting in said dungeon. :)
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Oneiromancer

Unless the mob has a LOT of hp, at higher levels the stun on the pet proc buff is usually enough to keep them from getting too far.  But yes, having a nuke ready is also a useful method for stopping runners.

Do be careful about using the Kunzar Ku'juch and SBD in groups.  I used one once when our only snarer was a bard who didn't really want to snare...unfortunately the snare effect is a DoT, so I got to see for the first time ever "Mob_xxx has been wakened by Jaede's Warder!"

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

JillieMT

Aneya

This item is the only droppable reusable snare item for a bst afaik.
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=24726
Sargasso Spear
MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM
Slot: PRIMARY SECONDARY
Skill: Piercing Atk Delay: 33
DMG: 14 Dmg Bonus: 13
Required level of 51.
Effect: Embrace of the Kelpmaiden (Combat)
WT: 4.0 Size: TINY
Class: WAR PAL RNG SHD BRD ROG BST

but I hardly use it because it kills my dps.
Instead I prefer xping where it either doesn't mater that they run or where they don't run.
EQ Aneya 70 Beastlord Tarew Marr
EQ2 Evalin Swashbuckler Mistmoore

Eatbugs

The best solution for runners is to know zone pathing (so you can avoid adds on runners) and save your nukes for when mobs start to run so you can burn them down quickly.

All our snare options (pet snare weapons, snare/root procs, clicky snare items, Hobble) are iffy in most situations or only usable a few times.  Killing things as fast as you can and knowing what's likely to happen next works every time.
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

JillieMT

Yep, Eatbugs is completely right. Sometimes we forget that our own EQ gaming experience is ALWAYS better than gear.

Case in point: I like to camp Runri in Droga for his belt. Now, it's nice to be able to stop him in his tracks when I know he will run. I know exactly where he goes: right out the door, where there *may* be a wanderer that I know passes by there.  

BUT... I also know, that if I pin Runri against the far left corner in his room, he won't run, due to some unseen buddy of his nearby in that direction. Knowing that I can pin him there and eliminate the threat of him running is far superior to using my pet weapon to *try* to have him snared.

Mneumenth

Without as doubt...ALWAYS know your pathing while solo.  Other than that, I never liked the spear...doesnt proc reliably.  I just keep DD's up and as soon as it turns, pop them.  Rinse, wash, repeat.
Mneumenth
"When you absolutely, positively have to kill every motherf@#$er in the room...Accept no substitute."