Main Menu

Truth in advertising and Epic 2.0

Started by Xilbeast, September 17, 2004, 06:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerjynPovar

QuoteI've written sony about this and they have declined to respond. My intentions from here out are quite simple. Im cancelling my account (which wont go dead until november) and moving to worlds of warcraft (which i hope to be out by then) to get away from SoE. I'm am not leaving eq just over this but this is definatly the straw that broke the camels proverbial back.

If this is all it took, then you were itching to leave EQ anyway.

Enjoy your pipe dream of WoW though.  Hope you love dealing with the battle.net kiddies preventing you from doing anything meaningful.
Terjyn, Retired Feral Lord on the Povar Server

kegulik

Quote from: TerjynPovar
QuoteI've written sony about this and they have declined to respond. My intentions from here out are quite simple. Im cancelling my account (which wont go dead until november) and moving to worlds of warcraft (which i hope to be out by then) to get away from SoE. I'm am not leaving eq just over this but this is definatly the straw that broke the camels proverbial back.

If this is all it took, then you were itching to leave EQ anyway.

Enjoy your pipe dream of WoW though.  Hope you love dealing with the battle.net kiddies preventing you from doing anything meaningful.

BNet kiddies and all, I enjoyed myself more on the WoW stress test than I did the vast majority of my time in EQ.
Kegulik

Lorathir

Quote from: TerjynPovarEnjoy your pipe dream of WoW though.  Hope you love dealing with the battle.net kiddies preventing you from doing anything meaningful.

Christ on a bike Terjyn, we get the point. You don't like WoW after trying it on the stress test for two minutes, as you've said in another post.

If you're going to be bitter and twisted about your experience, speak to a rl friend about it, if you have contructive critisism which amounts to more than "it sucks" use the WoW forum. There's lot's of use who value negative opinions on stuff if it's written without the poison.

TerjynPovar

But it's acceptable to see thousands of posts worshipping WoW, a game that hasn't even come out yet?

Where are you telling those people to tone it down?

Pure hypocrisy.

Lorathir

Quote from: TerjynPovarBut it's acceptable to see thousands of posts worshipping WoW, a game that hasn't even come out yet?

It's been in open beta for about 6 months now - while there's still lots to be changed about it, it's very solid apparently. As well as me seeing thousands of posts praising WoW, I've seen (admittedly not thousands)posts saying it sucks. But people have always said why it's good or it sucks. At least list your reasons on why it sucks. Whilst I'll agree with you - the original poster was just looking for an excuse to leave EQ, the pipe dream jibe was unnecessary.

To say you've only played it for two minutes means to me you haven't even got to grips with the UI, let alone the quests or battle system. You state "for one reason or another, it will be the biggest flop in gaming history" - so don't be surprised when I don't believe you've even played it, let alone given it a chance.

Quote from: TerjynPovarWhere are you telling those people to tone it down?

If you are referring to other posters on this board who don't like WoW, at least they've given it a chance, and said why they don't like it. I don't care one way or another if everyone here hated it - good. I look forward to reading why and gleaning information from them on how their dislikes may or may not be mine. I've only played it briefly months ago and I live in the UK - the stress test wasn't available to Europe according to Fileplant, thus positive or negative, I'm eager to see people's opinions.

Quote from: TerjynPovarPure hypocrisy.

It wasn't meant to be. I'm sorry if you feel that way. If you want to say why it's gonna flop, by all means you're welcome. However, after playing it for two minutes any WoW commentary from you I'd take with a hefty grain of salt. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm not trying to single you out, I'm trying to find out why.

Kebrarn

Personally, I don't consider it to be a big deal.  If you can't afford 50 bucks for all the expansion then I don't see why you'd put all the time into the epic 1.0/1.5/2.0.  

Anybody who is this far advanced in the game has spend thosands of hours wasting time in the game that could have be easily been spent working.  If you don't have the time or cash to get the expansions needed then you really dont have much use playing the game at the endgame.
Wildcaller Kebrarn  ~ 70th Wildblood
The Folk of Fennin Ro

TerjynPovar

I played WoW far more than 2 minutes Lorathir, I'm too much of a hardcore gamer not to have...and I believe my original post said "a few minutes", not two.   I tend to use church minutes (if you'll forgive the phrase) to describe how long I play video games. :)

The main reason I didn't like WoW is everytime I was attempting to do a quest the quest guys would be surrounded by hordes of the Battle.net kiddie types who would pounce on every single quest mob that popped...and due to WoW's system of how mobs are locked by the first hit I was simply screwed.  Now I could go somewhere else, but for a quest driven game I found that pretty unacceptable...and I certainly don't believe there will be less of these people post-release.  Now this may change.

The pipedream comment and the hypocrisy comment may have both been uncalled for I admit, but I get so sick of seeing post after post after post worshipping a game that hasn't done anything yet...and then I make a whopping 2 negative posts and get a level of vitriol I certainly didn't expect.

Rhaynne

Quoteand I certainly don't believe there will be less of these people post-release. Now this may change.

You were playing during the stress test.  The servers were massively overpopulated on purpose.  You shouldn't see that kind of player saturation on servers when the game goes live.

Lorathir

Quote from: TerjynPovarThe main reason I didn't like WoW is everytime I was attempting to do a quest the quest guys would be surrounded by hordes of the Battle.net kiddie types who would pounce on every single quest mob that popped...and due to WoW's system of how mobs are locked by the first hit I was simply screwed.

There's a question mark hanging over WoW for me re-the bnet crowd. Could be a game breaker imo. The npc lockout sucks and will be a pain in the rear end on WoW's release. Thanks for the info on that.

Quote from: TerjynPovarNow I could go somewhere else, but for a quest driven game I found that pretty unacceptable...and I certainly don't believe there will be less of these people post-release.  Now this may change.

Fingers crossed.

Quote from: TerjynPovarand then I make a whopping 2 negative posts and get a level of vitriol I certainly didn't expect.

I thought I smelled BS and called you on it. In return, you presented me with your reasons and duly proved me wrong. The fact that you won't be playing WoW is Blizzards loss Terjyn.

TerjynPovar

QuoteYou were playing during the stress test. The servers were massively overpopulated on purpose. You shouldn't see that kind of player saturation on servers when the game goes live.
People said the same thing about the Diablo 2 stress test...and when the game went live it went UP in players by a factor of 5...this is just how popular Blizzard games are.  I don't have any doubt whatsoever that WoW will be even more packed on opening day than it was during the stress test.

Well, I seriously, seriously hope that they fix that particular issue and then I may try again. :)

Shieara

I think it will be exactly the same way when WoW goes live, for at least the first couple weeks and maybe for a month.  Everyone will be starting from level 1 and everyone will be doing the same newbie quests.  If you remember when EQ started it was hard sometimes to find a giant rat to kill in the newb areas (the newbie areas I saw weren't that much greater then the rats and bats  area of Freeport or Qeynos) :P  Of course if you just wait a few weeks to buy it this problem should be solved, but then of course you aren't at the top of the progression.  

I've already posted in the WoW forum why I have no plans to buy it, so won't bore you with that again.

Wow, what a derail.

Grymlok

Well, I started the WoW stress tess the Sunday after it begin (started on thursday of that week), and I personally ran into none of the problems he described.  In the course of the week I had to play I brought my Night Elf Hunter to lv21.  And the best xp in the game is the quest system (which is absolutely fabulous), so I obviously didnt have a problem with the "b.net" kiddies.  In fact, I know quite a few former EQ players that I hung out with during the test.

I will admit that on the opening day, I heard horror stories about how packed the newbie zones were, but duh, it was the first day.  If you are worried about packed zones wait a week or two for the levels to spread out.

The Berserker: Foecussed

Kherryn

Wow, nice derail guys!  Didn't even see that one coming...

Skanda

Skanda

Like Grymlok, I had no problems questing in WoW. I even started playing on the second day of the stress test. Didn't have to look hard for quest mobs as long as you know where to look.