Main Menu

"This one."

Started by Lorathir, September 18, 2004, 04:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorathir

"Ye have business tae attend to. I suggest ye be off."

Rharyn nodded sagely. Walking over to the door, he glanced behind him as he went through it. His Father had already turned his attention back to the stove. He caught his Mother giving him an apologetic look, as she often did. And in return, Rharyn's face tried to express the words "I accept the burden, Mother" as he often did.

He picked his way through the streets of Halas. It was mid morning and  the streets were bustling with activity. Barbarian adventurers making their way towards Cindl's with bags full of pelts, trader's shouting out their wares, shouts and singing coming from tavern doorways. Rharyn dismissed the temptation of dropping by Brin's.

"What a wummun" he said to himself. "One day, she'll be ma mate. I'll prove tae her I'm a worthy companion. I'll prove it tae all..." Rounding a corner, Rharyn stepped through a doorway.

The building was dimly lit. Along the walls were drawings - scenes of the sky, forests and caves. A fire burned in the hearth, yet the room was still cold. Such be Halas, thought Rharyn.

"Ahhreet" came a gruff voice. Rharyn turned towards the corner of the room. There, behind a battered makeshift desk, sat Keven.

"Hallo Field Priest. I've come ta learn a trade" Rharyn replied meekly.

"Speak up boy. An step tae me when ye address me. Let's get this over quickly. I have business wi' Gnolls."

"I've come at th' request o' me Father. He said ye may have work fer me." Keven strode over to Rharyn and stood in front of him. He grabbed at Rharyns hands and arms, squeezing them. "Yer a weak wan. What Clan are ye from?"

"Solarstone" came Rharyn's reply. Keven eyed him suspiciously. "Ah, reet. I remember now. Yer Lorathir's brother, aye?" "Aye." Kevan laughed. "I remember trainin that wan. He was wild right from the moment I met him. Nae wonder he's his fathers pride an joy. And what does Caelin think o' ye, Rharyn?" "Not much" mumbled Rharyn. He looked at the ground. His eyes began to sting. Kevan swore and grabbed Rharyn, clasping his hand around his jaw. "Look at me, wee shit. There's nae place fer bairns here. Is that wha ye are? Are ye aboot tae cry Rharyn? Does daddie nae love ye as much as yer brother? I know of yer cowardice, Rharyn Solarstone."

"Feck off!" came the reply as he slapped Keven's hand from his face, instantly regretting it. The trainer threw his head back and laughed. "Mebbe ye have a bit o' yer brothers spirit? We'll see, wee man. Follow me." Keven made his way towards the back door with Rharyn in toe. It lead outside. A large wolf pen was set up outside and in it Rharyn counted 5 large wolves. They growled as the sniffed the air - inspecting the new scent. "Choose wan. See if'n he takes tae ye. I'm thinkin' they'll rather piss on ye, but we'll see."

Looking at each one, Rharyn felt his legs turn to stone. They were all snarling, lips curled back exposing their teeth. Backs were arched and hair stood on end as two went to Rharyn's right, and three to his left. They were flanking him. A truely fearsome sight. Something moved at the back of the pen and caught his eye. A small shape gingerly made it's way around the perimeter, skirting the wooden fence. Curiosity got the better of him. Walking around the large wolves, he made his way towards the shape. Out of the shadows padded a much smaller wolf - perhaps half the size of the others. Taking care as to not attract the attention of the others it approached Rharyn. "That's the runt. I dinnae knae how he's still alive. Mebbe I feed the others too much, eh?" said Keven.

Then something happened. The wolf and Rharyn both stopped in their tracks. Their eyes met. They saw each other. Not physically, as we all see each other - but spiritually. They saw each others birth. They saw each others parantage, but most importantly they saw what each other felt. And indeed, they felt each other too. Thoughts were exchanged.

"My name is Rharyn" thought Rharyn.
"My name is Kalda" thought Kalda.

The runt was at Rharyn's feet now, and he knelt down. All the time, neither blinking nor breaking off the stare.

Rharyn felt a warmth envelop him. His emotions were filled - joy, depair, pain, pleasure, sadness, elation - and loneliness. Rharyn recognised that one most of all. The runt licked Rharyn's hand.

"I know" thought Kalda.
"I know" thought Rharyn.

Rharyn's eyes were stinging again as he turned to the Trainer and said "This one."

Lorathir

"It happened years ago. Cullen of the Tavitt Clan was a Shaman of high standin' who was th' forst." Keven poured out an ale and slid it over the rickety table towards Rharyn. Leaning back in this chair, he lit a cigar and continued.

"I remember the day, sure I was a bairn but everywan around that time remembers. Cullen had been out adventurin' again. That blasted piece o' rock.." He rolled his eyes and blew out a smoke ring. Rharyn had a handful of scraps he was busily teasing his new found friend with. "Anyway, over the next few months, Cullen an the Vah began studyin' together. Occasionally there'd be meetin's in the Town Hall wi' the Shaman Elders. After the Vah left, Cullen began trainin wee Barbarians in the way o' the Beastlord. This is what I've been told tae dae wi' ye."

Keven took a large mouthful of ale and belched. He eyed the Rharyn and the runt playing together. "She has a fondness fer ye. Wee runt's o' the litter eh? Ye think ye'd mek a Beastlord, Son o' Caelin?"

Rharyn looked at the runt as she scampered around the room, catching the scraps of biscuit bread he threw into the air. He shrugged.

The Trainer looked at Rharyn. He'd never met before such a strange Barbarian. Unconcerned with battle, drinking and womanising, Rharyn stood out apart from the rest of Halas. Rharyn lost all of the Feats of Battle the Town Elders hold in the Arena. Even to the women. He was a constant source of disappointment for his father, and indeed the Village Elders. How long was this welp going to last defending mighty Halas against the Goblins? The Gnolls?

"The Snow Orcs.." murmured Keven out loud. Rharyn turned his attention away from the runt and looked at him. He sighed. "I know what ye think o' me, Keven, and it's not much." Keven flashed a look at Rharyn and looked away. "An' I know what all think o' me here." Keven cut him short. "I've nae the time ta go into yer shortcomings, runt. I've nae seen ye prove yerself in battle. Rharyn, I've seen wimmin fight wi' more heart than ye!" Rharyn felt deflated. He toyed with a piece of biscuit, breaking it in two and watching the crumbs scatter to the ground. The runt bounded over and licked his hand, attempting to tease a piece away. It stepped backwards, crouched, then sprang forward, missing Rharyn's hand and clumsily banging it's head against Rharyns knee. It shook it's head and blinked, raising it's head, panted and wagged it's tail. Rharyn beamed down a smile at the welp.

"Yet ye have bonded so quickly...not seen that before. At least, not before a few hunts." Keven though for a moment. Dragging long on his cigar, he pondered the future for Rharyn. He probably has a week, if he's lucky. His father would be comforted somewhat if Rharyn died in battle soon. The sooner the better? What use has a weakling for Halas? What use has a weakling for any city in these times? Perhaps he'd find place in Erudin, in one of the mighty libraries Keven had saw. They were weak. Or the Halflings might have work for Rharyn. No, the task was set to Keven. A Beastlord he will train.

"There's many that went before ye. Not just in Halas, mind. Ogre, Troll, Vah Shir, Iksar. None however, can match a Barbarian in battle. By yer lineage Rharyn, ye come from good stock." Rharyn looked at Keven again. "I know, I know. Lorathir, right?" he said. "Of course" snorted Keven. "He was one o' the forst." He took a gulp of ale. "I dinnae have ta tell you. I look forward to his visits, rare though they are. Oh, the tales! The things he's seen! The beasties he's slain!" Keven marvelled. "But you, however weak a shit ye are Rharyn, have his blood. Ye are a Solarstone. Yer name is feared amongst the enemies o' Halas, and that in itself will carry you. For a while."

Rharyn thought of Lorathir. He loved his brother dearly and wished to see him again. If only I had the courage to follow him, he thought. To make him proud. To make me father proud. "So what's next?" asked Rharyn.

"Trainin'. We begin immediately."