Main Menu

Bait and Switch

Started by shnaggle, September 20, 2004, 09:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shnaggle

So when do you think SOE will pull their Bait and Switch tatic that they are famous for?  

Like in LDON they nerf the Drops and EXP like a month after it came out.

When are they going to nerf the drop rate in OOW zones on decent armour? Or nerf  the tradeskill augs?  

We all know they are going to do it so the question is only a matter of time.

Quezic Grahl

OoW xp ain't that great to begin with, why would they nerf it?  Granted, I haven't been everywhere there yet, but grouped in Harbinger's, Noble's Causeway, and Wall of Slaughter and none of them seemed especially fast xp.  The only fast xp is in groups that have uber equipment, period.  Since I don't, I'm not in groups like that often =)

Kinda disliking OoW zones for the most part, bunch of outdoor zone nonsense.  Bunch of trains, they're like L65+ newbie zones.  I mean trains are gonna happen anywhere occasionally, but WoS is out of control, like a train every 2 minutes.  Done OoW expeditions also, xp ain't too good there either.

Of course, I might be a little more enthused about it if had gotten a muramite rune of some sort along the way =)  Only seen a few drop, and didn't win them.  L67 now and no spells =/  I did see a L68 rune in the bazaar for 300k, lol, yeah right.

TerjynPovar

Quote from: shnaggleSo when do you think SOE will pull their Bait and Switch tatic that they are famous for?

Thank you for proving that you are one of those people who has no idea what Bait and Switch is.  SoE has yet to do it.

Or, given that B&S is a form of fraud, why haven't I heard of you winning a law suit against them for doing it?  It'd be so easy.
Terjyn, Retired Feral Lord on the Povar Server

shnaggle

OK I guess I shouldn't use that term since they did not promise anything that I mention as part of the expansion.  What I really meant that in every almost every expansion they place little things as great EXP or great gear that drop fequently that will bring in more money from people who hesitated. Then as soon as they get a certain amount a copies sold they will switch it back to what they really intended to be.

That is how I should of worded my orginal post.

Zagumm

Can the mods move this to the rants section please.

Personally I'd rather not see this class board desend into the endless whining and self pity the most the other class boards are.

Katsandra

GoD.  They said it was for levels 50and up and it was actually for levels around 70.  I was told I was getting one product and what I got was another.

Why don't I say I'm suing?  You think that's the only answer in life?  They ticked me off enough I haven't bought OoW yet and may never.  I talk with mymoney without harming myself or costing myself money and effort to rectify a problem where the ultimate solution would be to just play another game.  I also utilized their player boards and other EQ sites to express my discontent.  And I emailed them.  Everything isn't about suing.  People who think it is are what's wrong with our legal system now.

Plus whether nerfing expansions after they sell a lot of them through word of mouth advertising is 'Bait and Switch' legally doesn't matter one iota it has the same effect. It's the same as any other baiting tacting be it hunting (where the phrase came from to start with) or selling products.  It's about using language to communicate.  Speaking to others isn't an act of following the law.  Everyone understood what he meant when he said that.   sheesh

Tatter

I am not sounding cynical I hope cause I do not mean it that way =0).

But it is a game ! LOL . I spend 30 dollard on a deceant bottle of Tequila .

I just enjoy playing .. And have never really worried about it . I can grind slow EXP or fast .. If I save platt or wait long enough .. I get good stuff too .. Or atleast deceant ..

I play for fun and to talk with friends .. hehe .. Nerf ? . Bahaha .. Sure if they do they do .. I would have bought it anyway .. 30 bucks is a drop of nothing in the bucket .. hehe .

Quality of life is satisfaction .. hehe I get that just by watching it log in and summon my warder . hehe

But thats just me ..
Feral Lord
Tatter [ http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1081882 ] L 70 BST
Tunare

JillieMT

Quote from: shnaggleOK I guess I shouldn't use that term since they did not promise anything that I mention as part of the expansion.  What I really meant that in every almost every expansion they place little things as great EXP or great gear that drop fequently that will bring in more money from people who hesitated. Then as soon as they get a certain amount a copies sold they will switch it back to what they really intended to be.

That is how I should of worded my orginal post.

Are you serious?? The things are adusted for play balance. Not to sell expansions. To say that things are changed for a financial reason is just plain silly.
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Dhantes

I give it 3 weeks to a month before they nerf OoW and this isn't rant quality everyone knows and agree's this is gonna happen. SOE has proven in the like past 4 expansions that this is what they do... POP LOY LDON GOD all of them...

JillieMT

Quote from: DhantesI give it 3 weeks to a month before they nerf OoW and this isn't rant quality everyone knows and agree's this is gonna happen. SOE has proven in the like past 4 expansions that this is what they do... POP LOY LDON GOD all of them...

And why not? If the game is that easy, then it should be nerfed to balance it!
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

TerjynPovar

Quote from: KatsandraGoD.  They said it was for levels 50and up and it was actually for levels around 70.  I was told I was getting one product and what I got was another.
Funny, I know people who use GoD Tribute stuff in their teens/20s for levels.  You telling me that this doesn't qualify?

Secondly, telling you something and not delivering is Fraud, that's not Bait and Switch.  Thanks for proving my point about people not knowing what exactly B&S is, yet claiming it anyway.

QuoteWhy don't I say I'm suing?  You think that's the only answer in life?  They ticked me off enough I haven't bought OoW yet and may never.  I talk with mymoney without harming myself or costing myself money and effort to rectify a problem where the ultimate solution would be to just play another game.  I also utilized their player boards and other EQ sites to express my discontent.  And I emailed them.  Everything isn't about suing.  People who think it is are what's wrong with our legal system now.
If someone is using Bait and Switch, you better be sueing them, and not just whining about it.  Bait and Switch is one of the worst forms of BS that a company can pull...and people who WON'T prosecute something that bad are part of the problem with our legal system too.  If you use the term B&S, you better be willing to sue or you are part of the problem with capitalism as it stands today.

QuotePlus whether nerfing expansions after they sell a lot of them through word of mouth advertising is 'Bait and Switch' legally doesn't matter one iota it has the same effect. It's the same as any other baiting tacting be it hunting (where the phrase came from to start with) or selling products.  It's about using language to communicate.  Speaking to others isn't an act of following the law.  Everyone understood what he meant when he said that.   sheesh
By this logic every single multiplayer game in existence post-Quake has had Bait and Switch in it.  If you are happy with a term being so watered down it loses all meaning then fine, continue to spout on and on about it.

The reality of it is that Sony could be sueing YOU for Libel.  Bait and Switch is a very serious thing, and throwing it around, even off-handedly, is just a stupid thing to do.
Terjyn, Retired Feral Lord on the Povar Server

Dhantes

Quote from: JillieMT
Quote from: DhantesI give it 3 weeks to a month before they nerf OoW and this isn't rant quality everyone knows and agree's this is gonna happen. SOE has proven in the like past 4 expansions that this is what they do... POP LOY LDON GOD all of them...

And why not? If the game is that easy, then it should be nerfed to balance it!

So your telling me SOE learns nothing everytime they release an expansion if there only doing it to "balance" it then why do they continue to release their expansions in the same fashion every single time and then "balance" them after a few weeks?

BloodCelt

well,  all I can say is that you can sure as hell expect a major nerf nuke in Walls of Slaughter next patch.  Too many people flocking there, too many decent items dropping = Fungus Grove type nerfage incoming.
[FONT COLOR=yellow]
Ironcelt McClain - Feral Lord - <The Mercenary Syndicate> The Rathe Server

TheOriginalGronker

Gimme a break .. they've given more then they've nerfed.

Almost very mob in non-PoP was LB or green at 65, now there is a whole world of DB.  Everything remotely difficult in PoP/GoD has been 'toned down' (aka 'balanced') as a response to all the squeaky wheels.  Dunno where you think LDoN exp has been decreased .. I've gotten the same exp per adv since it started (20-40% aa depending on how long it takes) - cash was rediculous and lowering it is hardly worthy of being called a 'nerf'.

Wanna bet on exp being raised in OoW zones (at least the first few, where is sucks even though mobs are trivial)?  Drop rate increase on spell runes?  Making any tough content in OoW easy?

:roll: