Main Menu

Processors/mem/video for 2 boxing on 1 computer?

Started by Azyl, October 13, 2004, 05:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azyl

The title says most of it.  What are you running for a processor, how much memory, and what video card for your multi-client on one box systems?  Do you have your two copies of the client on one drive or separate drives on separate controllers?  How playable is your system?

A few in another thread are saying that they can't box in OOW.  It sounds like everyone is having problems with /follow now.  Incidentally, I was reading some stuff on another forum about A64's not running 2 clients (of DAoC in this case) as well as a P4 with HT.  I'm very curious to hear from anyone doing this with a A64.

I'm going to be getting a new PC soon.  Any input would be great!

negrismorte

I run 2 on 1 with this system:

Athlon 2800+, new mother board forget what
1gig ram
Ti4600 128mb
2 hard drives, one copy of EQ on each
only a few new model on (for mounts)
low quality - both
dynamic lighting on - both
social animations off - both
sound off - 2nd acct
Cable internet

In game settings:
Sky off - both
level of detail off - both
color 16bit - both
clip 100 - main
clip 50 - 2nd acct
Frame rate 30 - both
refresh (umm, 2nd up from bottom) - both
1280x1024 UI (my big mem hog)

With this setting, I can double in most zones.  My zone times are fairly long and I usually loose mouse control when one acct is zoning.  One thing i've had a problem with is fall rate while lev'd.  Sometimes I can't cross the wall in PoF due to sinking too fast.  If I camp one acct, then I don't have the prob.

I have not tried to double in OOW zones yet - one acct is not enabled.

Stumps_Bertox

unlocked athlon 2600+ (oc'd to ~3200+  2.25 core)
asus a7v8x-x board
1.5 gig pc 2700 ram (333 board speed)
200 gig hd
BFG geforce 6800GT oc (at 415 core 1.08 mem)
audigy 2 platinum

i dont use eqplaynice, or win eq, was having alot of probs with them running, getting very low fps. So  just using  x2 EQWindows all models on, high qual, complex sky, actor clip 50%, fps advanced at 50fps, 1280x1024 32 bit, spell effects set to group only (exp) or me+npc (raid).
Eq windows has an ini that allows for fps for foreground and backgroup, I set it to 50/20 and dont have any problems except when im trying to /follow, background lags way behind so i end up just running where i need to get with each guy, but other than following I dont have any problems at all with flipping, and game ran smooth for both chars on a Velk raid in WoS with 80 in the zone :)
So really the only issues I have are zoning while in the background (takes forever), and following, but for dungeon crawling it works better than boxing on my laptop because i can switch to give 100% attention to either character in less than a second.
Hope this helps!
Khylan  70 Draenei Mage of Malygos
EQ Toons (retired)
Gogbuk Beastlord of Bristlebane
Gogsbot Druid healing machine

Zaryzel

P4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, 128mb Radeon 9800Pro, 2gb DDR, 320gb RAID-0 drives (Not as good for gaming actually).

I run 2-3 instances of EQ at once usually, I've boxed up to 6 at once on this system without trouble (Not using EQPlaynice either) in some zones (Read: Not PoP, GoD, or Omens. PoP starts being a pain at 3-4 depending on the zone, GoD the same, Omens... is unpredictable). Zone times are never above 10 seconds for any reason other than going LD. All models on, max clip plane, all advanced graphics up, 1024x768 (I'd do higher if my monitor supported a better resolution than 1280x1024), particles if I feel like it. Autofollow works aside from odd behavior on the server's part (Where is my cleric going? That's not even the right direction!).