Main Menu

Boxing Possible?

Started by VoS Jamond, October 19, 2004, 04:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VoS Jamond

Have heard several reports, even from the devs, that say boxing in EQ2 will be near impossible.  Anyone able to test this out yet?  Would like to know if it's gonna be possible to 2-box, or if it's just not feasible.
~Jamond~

Level 70 Barbarian Beastlord

*Veil of Shadows*

*Luclin Server*

Skanda

Half of the people I hear from can barely run one instance of EQ2. What kind of computer do you have?  :P

Oneiromancer

You don't have to run 2 instances on 1 computer...it's called 2-boxing for a reason... :D

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Iskandar

It depends on how you 2-box. I 2-box EQ with some lower level toons, usually a Pally and a Druid. The Druid is on an older PC that doesn't run the game too well, so she autofollows the Paladin, whom I play on my main machine. When he needs a heal, I reach over and hit 1 to cast it. When he needs a buff, hit 2 or 3 -- assist him with 7 and snare with 8 (or nuke with 6) then 7 again or tab to switch back to the Pally. It's all very basic hotkeys with limited involvement on the part of the Druid.

The same basic setup will work in EQ2 -- secondary character follows the main character and provides heals/combat buffs and occassional nukage via /assist. All spells/abilities can be hotkeyed, providing one button activation with 1-0 and - and =. I wouldn't try it with two melee toons, but I suppose it would work if you're more comfortable with 2-boxing than I am.
Wildcaller Iskandar Darkpaw --  80 Beastlord, Cohort Chalybeius, Cazic Thule

"Didn't ya hear? That which doesn't kill you makes ya stronger. So suck it up, OK?" ~C.C.
"That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger. That which does kill me I will hunt down after I respawn." ~D.H.

Drakh

Fights are over alot quicker in EQ 2 than 1, im not sure theres an autofollow function ( TBH i havent had the need to use one yet so i could be wrong :) )

Priests do more than just heal you and if your juggling 2 toons you will actually lose more in the missed Heroic Opportunites you could have, and believe me HOs can make or break an encounter.

2 boxing while it will be possible will not be as beneficial as it is in EQ 1. In fact the only reason i myself would 2 box would be to set up a trader mule ;)

Savage Lord Drakh Darkscale, 69.70 Feral Lord, <Europa> Druzzil Ro
"You don't just go around punching people. You have to say something cool first!"- Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boy Scout.[/color]

Fistinyereyes

I was actually able to bring a friend's acct online while mine was running.. of coarse it ran so slow it was not practical for anything whatso ever, but it IS doable to run 2 instances of Everquest 2 on one computer... just gotta wait for machines to have enough ram etc to do it usefully =)

On a side note... I could see 2boxing being just as useful for eq2.. Autofollow actually works ALOT better in eq2 than it did in EQ.. also, with Implied targeting for melee and spell casting, I could actually see it being alot more hassel-free with less target switching, no need for snare (I have never seen anything flee in Eq2) and a few other little reasons..

All remains to be seen though =)

dewddabst

i can run 2 instances on my comp, tho at my resolution and graphic settings it does get bit laggin in group situations (esp with wiz nukes).  theres no lag at all when ones a trader for example.  guy above mes right about auto follow, its sorta buffed a lot better, u can make ur box make turns around corners with autofollow.  the only practical use for a 2nd box is an emergency spam healer for when u get big pulls or adds.  o also dps class like monks / bruisers, can afk them auto assisting the main tank but dps is limited to regular melee.  every other class needs to be played to full potential.  mebe wizards too, can nuke and queue up some more, but im not much of a magic enthusiast.

Gruzgob

There is actually a guy on my server who 6-boxes...yes, you heard me right, 6 boxes.  He has a Berserker, Guardian, Assassin, Inquisitor, Fury, and Coercer, all mid-30's...not sure how he does it, but it's probably a lot easier to coordinate HO's when you're controlling the entire group. :)
Elder Gruzgob Wulfmaster
Retired 66 Feral Lord
Fluffy
60 Scaled Wolf

Gruzgob's souvenirs

Jkal_Shihar

6 boxes  :shock: (jaw drops to ground). I guess with doing HO's I'd agree you can control em better. But sheesh............
Animist Jkal Shi`har and tigger
Arch Animist of the Tribunal Server
My Magelo
*still my main since dec. 2001*

bham

Quote from: GruzgobThere is actually a guy on my server who 6-boxes...yes, you heard me right, 6 boxes.  He has a Berserker, Guardian, Assassin, Inquisitor, Fury, and Coercer, all mid-30's...not sure how he does it, but it's probably a lot easier to coordinate HO's when you're controlling the entire group. :)

I have never played EQ2, but I 4-box, on 4 computers, in EQ. I have noticed that controlling 4 toons has some adventages in that you always know exactly what the other 3 are doing at any given time. My cleric knows how many mobs are beating on me, how many are slowed, wether I am def discing etc, and can use the appropriate heal. If my first slow gets bounced I can time my second to land a fraction of a second after the mala does, instead of just before it, because I can see the casting bar on my mage. Similarly, my wizards snare or root can land right after the mala also. There is never any confusion as to which pet is off tanking what and whos job it is to heal them, because I can control them all.

Do you hate it when the wizard roots when he he should evac?

Do you hate it when the cleric wastes time and mana healing your pet when you were just about to finally get to use mend companion for once?

Do you hate it when someone gets bored and wanders up the stairs to look at the Bloated Girplan?

Doesnt happen in a boxed group. :)
Bham - Cleric - Mage - Wizard - Tentrix
Bertox

LOUDRampart

Hello all,  First time poster and recent reader  :-o  (Quit EQ for a while and went back and started a Ogre Bst so I found this board but I digress...)

Multi-boxing in EQ2 is possible.  I do it with a Pali/Shammy combo.  Shammy just follows me around and heals/buffs/nukes when needed and Pali does the HO thing.  I'm in low-mid 20's atm.

Got a guildmate who is running a mid to upper 30 Ranger/Cleric combo and does the same thing. 

Boxing in a group with other players?  That'd be hard with the HO timing/management.  When I group I don't box em... Just play which ever I feel like. 

Now three boxing EQ2 might be interesting to try... I have three EQ accounts so adding a third EQ2 account wouldn't cost that much...

Rampart