Main Menu

Apology

Started by Atropine_BB, October 20, 2004, 04:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyphen Wilder

The direction that this community has taken in regard to a simple picture is by far the most ridiculous action of political correctness to pacify hurt feelings... :cry:babies:cry:, and yes that is exactly what you all did.   I really enjoyed this board, but have no use or desire to use it anymore. :arrow:  :arrow:  :arrow:

Jaeren

Farewell Cyphen Wilder. That is your right to leave if you so wish. But to me, that also speaks of "cry baby" attitude.

The actions that were done were to negate hard feelings, not cause them.

I knew that I was bound to lose some people no matter which course I took, either you & atropine for stopping ads/sigs of this nature/whatever you want to call this if I did or others that complained about htem being here if I let them continue. I simply have to go with the majority and the greater good.

In the end, how does someone posting political views in every thread they post in help the community? It does not in any way do that and as was shown by this example, it hurts the community.

EQ - Morell Thule / Erollisi Marr (Retired):
[75 Beastlord] Jaeren (Barbarian)
[72 Cleric] Velissia (High Elf)
[69 Shaman] Sotar (Vah Shir)

WoW - Medivh (Retired):
[60 Rogue] Draeven (Undead)
[60 Priest] Lifesaver (Undead)
[56 Rogue] Klaien (Human)
[51 Paladin] Keidian (Human)

VSOH - Flamehammer (Retired)
[34 Disciple] Daevien (Half Elf)
[33 Bard] Pastorius (Kojani)
[26 Dread Knight] Draeven (Kojani)

BloodCelt

Jebus..  Did I miss the opening of senseless drama season again?

BC
[FONT COLOR=yellow]
Ironcelt McClain - Feral Lord - <The Mercenary Syndicate> The Rathe Server

Chadoe

The sad part is that I don't believe you went with the majority, you just went with the loudest speakers.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease kind of thing.

I'm failry politically minded though.  Just my 2 cents worth, I think it is a SAD day when a person cannot put the president of the U.S. in their sig w/out getting bashed for it, period.  Whether you like the guy or not, he is in fact the President.

Again, just my 2 coppers.
link=www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=346857] Chadoe--Lvl 70 Beast---Tholuxe Pales

Fugitmori Chafftail 54 Warrior--member of Acropolis
The spirit is immeasurable.
Veni, Vidi, Vici

Eatbugs

Okay, let's go with an analogy here.

Suppose I become a figure of national importance in the US (god help us all) and am asked to appear on Crossfire.  Crossfire is a program that's about one thing - politics.  If I show up in a shirt that alludes to some EQ related issue I care about, ("Frogloks out of Grobb!") some fairly reasonable questions are going to be asked about my motives for doing so on a program where no one cares about that at all.  Unless I'm there purely for novelty value, I'm probably going to be asked to remove the shirt and wear something that doesn't distract from the issues at hand.  If I insist on wearing it anyway, I likely won't be allowed on, or at the very least I won't be asked back.

Make more sense that way?
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

Kashmiir Battlekat

DING! You win!

Perfect example Eatbugs.

Quote from: EatbugsOkay, let's go with an analogy here.

Suppose I become a figure of national importance in the US (god help us all) and am asked to appear on Crossfire.  Crossfire is a program that's about one thing - politics.  If I show up in a shirt that alludes to some EQ related issue I care about, ("Frogloks out of Grobb!") some fairly reasonable questions are going to be asked about my motives for doing so on a program where no one cares about that at all.  Unless I'm there purely for novelty value, I'm probably going to be asked to remove the shirt and wear something that doesn't distract from the issues at hand.  If I insist on wearing it anyway, I likely won't be allowed on, or at the very least I won't be asked back.

Make more sense that way?

Giledorm

Quote from: ChadoeThe sad part is that I don't believe you went with the majority, you just went with the loudest speakers.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease kind of thing.

I'm failry politically minded though.  Just my 2 cents worth, I think it is a SAD day when a person cannot put the president of the U.S. in their sig w/out getting bashed for it, period.  Whether you like the guy or not, he is in fact the President.

Why do people keep thinking the issue was "bush bashing" or some crapola?  :roll:  I could care less if you like Bush, Kerry, or Hitler for that matter.  It's a matter of what was appropriate content.

How many OTHER people decided to put campaign slogans up in their sigs?  Could we have?  Probably.  I'm quite sure we have a strong partisan showing here.  Did we?  No.  Why?  Because this msgboard is for EVERQUEST, NOT POLITICS.  

Also, I would like to point out something.  You complain about rights and censorship, yet in the same breath complain that only the loudest speakers were heard.  If the majority thought the other way, why didn't THEY speak up too?  Just a quick glance over the threads I count about 20 or so individuals who said something (forgive if my numbers are off).  Therefore, forgive me if I don't feel pity for those complaining from the sidelines (if there are any).  

Eatbugs:  Good example.  /nod

I've been trying to stay objective, but this thread is turning into a senseless flame war.  The mods are doing a fine job of trying to make everyone happy all the time, and THEY are the ones getting bashed for it.  I just don't understand anymore.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=395485&resize=true target=_blank>http://www.thirds.org/moose/newsig.jpg border=0>

Jolrash

The issue has been resolved.  The Sig has been removed by its owner.  The owner understands the reason to bring it down.  Why is this topic still an issue.

Drags in a dead horse!
Begins to beat it!

Let it go and move along!

JillieMT

Quote from: ChadoeThe sad part is that I don't believe you went with the majority, you just went with the loudest speakers.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease kind of thing.

The term "Bush/Cheney '04" is not a picture of our president. It is referring to the campaign. And no one was getting bashed. We get enough mind-numbing coverage of this election in every facet of the media... EQ is a hobby, an escape. People don't want to see those things here, splattered in every forum because it's in a sig.

And once again, Chadoe, if you would read through this thread (which you apparently have not done) you would see that we are NOT censoring anyone! You can talk politics, sports, whatever you want in the proper forums! Politics belongs in OOC. That is fine. But making a sig with it brings it to EVERY forum you post in. The whole point of catagorizing the forum topics is so that you can filter out what you don't want to see, so you can read just the things that you are interested in. If you do not wish to view OOC politics topics, you shouldn't have to see them everywhere.
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Chadoe

Actually I did read through the mind numbing 4 pages, and in the beginning I thought that it was in fact just about something being outside the lines.  However, after reading all of it, and I'm not talking about the mods, I think they did a fine job, and do a fine job, it became people (in my opinion) bashing what he believes in.  I've seen a ton of sigs on a ton of message boards that don't necessarily seem to fit, to me that is part of what makes the communities great.

It bothers me because I see many people, Kerry and Bush supporters, being ostracized based purely on their beliefs for a democratic function.

I see the point, and believe it is valid , that the signature is going to be across all forums, but again, not to be mean, a picture saying Kerry /04 or Bush /04, at the bottom of a post is somehow demeaning to people, or causing them to enjoy a game/message board less seems way out there.

Again, that's just to me.  I said I believe that the mods on this board do an excellent job, and I think it is the best Beastlord board around.  I really enjoy reading everyone's posts.  I also think many more people didn't say anything in support because of hostile treatment towards those that did.  (And yes, some of the responses where definetely on the hostile side).
link=www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=346857] Chadoe--Lvl 70 Beast---Tholuxe Pales

Fugitmori Chafftail 54 Warrior--member of Acropolis
The spirit is immeasurable.
Veni, Vidi, Vici

Eatbugs

Quoteit became people (in my opinion) bashing what he believes in

I can't find a single instance of that in this thread.  Can you point me to one?
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

JillieMT

I am sorry Chadoe, but I see not a single instance of Bush-bashing here. The one instance I saw of real flaming was taken care of.

If you are referring to people who simply disagree with Atropine, then you are correct, there are people voicing their opposing opinions... as there should be. There is much discussion here, that is what this thread is about. As long as we can do so in a civil manner, disagreements SHOULD always be encouraged. That is the whole point of being a community. Interaction. But never at the expense of being courteous and polite to others.
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

danaconda

Darn you Eatbugs! That was the exact[/b] same analogy I was going to use! Well, maybe not exact..... I was going to go for a political rally as the background scene, but same thing none-the-less!
Dedlee Beatdown retired
Troll Beastlord of Lanys T'Vyl
(moved onto WoW - Mannoroth server, same name)

mythral

frankly atr's been the most hostile person here imo, he makes it sound civil but there are plenty of hidden jabs in his posts if you know how to look for them, as well as the over all tone "im right, your wrong, im american you are sensoring me therefore unamerican" etc.

it IS cenorship, just like cuss words are sensored, nudity, and other inapropiate things...this falls into one of those categories.

bunny and bunny in 04 !

Rhaynne

With the issue resolved and the world of the Den returning to its normal organized chaos and to just end this whole silly affair, I'm locking the thread.  Continue on with PMs if you want, but I'd like to see this whole messy affair over with.

Thanks.