Main Menu

Beastlords in EQ2

Started by DocMoriarty, September 14, 2004, 11:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocMoriarty

If i see that right there is no beastlord in EQ2, at least nothing like it in the beginning. So i have come up with a solution :

Ogre Mage !! (or necro)

Basic idea use the ogres tanking and the mages pet. Sure he gonna have mojo probs and stuff but i think lacking stats can be evened out by gear over time.

Anyway would be kinda fun to play. Only sad thing is that the ogre due to his class will tend to have melee issues etc. But maybe still worth the experiment.

There is nothing like a beastlord !

JillieMT

True, we love beastlords, but hey... EQ2 is a completely new game, not an EQ expansion. After I get to playing it a bit, I am sure that I will find a favorite class there. And I will still have my beastlords for a long time in EQ as well. :)
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Kherash

Yes. EQ2 is totally different from EQ. Without breaking the NDA, I can say that any race can be a Mage. Here is a link to a EQ2 site. It lists the starting stats for all races.

http://www.casteruniversity.com/racestatsmage.php
Kejah
75 Vah Shirl Beastlord
Prexus
SpiritWalker Guild

Chance favors the prepared mind.
Louis Pasteur

JillieMT

Thanks for the link!

I am sure that as soon as the NDA is lifted, the testers we have on this board will completely fill us in on how to attain the closest thing to a beastlord.  :)
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Kherash

Yep.

I will do what I can.

Anyone else in beta yet? SoE has already acknowledge that beta has started.
Kejah
75 Vah Shirl Beastlord
Prexus
SpiritWalker Guild

Chance favors the prepared mind.
Louis Pasteur

Brungo

What is your handle via the eq2 boards.  I have been reading them non-stop and I am very excited about the release.  I too, plan to keep both eqlive and two as open accounts.  Hope the station pass is a great deal.
-Jayson-
Brungo(51) Primalist-veeshan

Sharrien

When I was participating in a debate a couple months ago about beastlords in EQ2 a dev finally chimed in saying that they would possibly be introduced in a future expansion.  Maybe an unlocking quest like what they have planned for the froglok race.

After the game gets released and people play it for a while, start raising the issue that beaslords would make a great addidtion to the game.  Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, post and be heard if you want to see our class in EQ2.
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden
Maelin Starpyre

Brungo

-Jayson-
Brungo(51) Primalist-veeshan

Stefoni

I'm beta as well, and trust me I plan on posting and hollering quite a bit about the lack of beastlords in EQ2, they kept most other classes and deleted ours /sigh.  Oh well.  That was one of the turn offs I had when trying to decide if I would actually play EQ2, well, that and the fact that the Vah Shir are extinct.  (the kerrans just don't look as good) Have been playing quite a bit these days, have baby wood elf and baby kerran, have noticed the male kerran's look much better than the females, no matter how much I try the females always end up looking like they're anorexic.

Tukarai

Heres an interesting thought for you. Call it a speculative premonition if you will:

EQ2's timeline is set some 500 years after the "destruction" of Luclin. Standing in front of the castle in Qeynos, and looking up into the night sky, the shattered remains of Luclin are clearly visible. In fact, over 75% of it is somewhat intact. So whats the signifigance of that? If EQ2 fails to draw the crowd that SOE expects it to, they've left a window open through which to draw in an alternative group of players. Namely, current EQLive subscribers.

Setting EQ2's timeline 500 years into EQLives future, gives SOE plenty of time to hash out the desires of the crowd of players the game attracts. It is quite conceivable that SOE could patch in a storyline connection once EQLives timeline catches up with EQ2's beginning. This opens up a fair amount of potential content. Such as the rediscovery of Luclin and the Planes in future expansion packs. Only this time, they have an entirely new system to work with.

If nothing else, I think SOE was a bit surprised by the enormous interest of current EQLive subscribers. How they deal with that will remain to be seen. Whatever they decide to do, the possibilities are quite endless.

After playing in the EQ2 beta, i've come to the conclusion that EQ2 is not the game for me. I'm still too interested in EQLive, and the differences between what I like and dislike in a game are still too vast for me to like both. I've been playing EQLive for nearly 6 years now. And have grown accustomed to certain things. Like class defining abilities. Class diversity. Among other things. EQLive set "my expectations" as "a standard" of what I expect from a game. And at the moment, WoW actually looks like it will play more like EQLive than EQ2 does. Which is what I suspect many of the beta testers are looking for. Perhaps in the future this will change. But who knows for sure? Only SOE.

SOE seems to think that class balance lies within class matching. Which I why I suspect that EQ2 has no pvp. The class differences are so miniscule, that implementing pvp would show where the individual class strengths would really lie. Especially at the upper levels.

Beastlords are a very strong class in EQLive. As were mages and necros. And casters are easily balanced against melee classes. In EQ2, caster classes are easily balanced against each other. As are melee classes. But the beastlord represents a challenge in that scale of balance. Here we have a class that is so diverse, it can be played as a caster with a pet, or a melee with a pet. No other class to balance against, and certainly not easily balanced against EQ2 casters and melee classes. What class would you match them to? And balance them against? And thats even before you try and balance them against the other classes.

I'm sure that anyone who has participated in the beta, has seen the lengthly discussions regarding class diversity, locked combat, and general lack of community the game promotes. Many things are seen as detrimental to gameplay and immersion. And if SOE's history tells us anything, "if it affects revenue, it WILL be changed". How much it will change is anyones guess.