Main Menu

What am I missing?

Started by Hecklerkoch, October 26, 2004, 01:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hecklerkoch

Recently started a beasty and so far I love it. Found this Website and forums and really enjoying the wealth of great info.  I am confused by the "hunting" section however.

I've been reading this section for a bit and since around L32 decided to try some of the suggested areas (I'm so bored with the same old zones I could scream sometime). Most recently I've tried the areas suggested in the 30-38 guide. Have to admit, other than DSP (another zone that's boring me to tears), I'm not finding the hunting easy at all.

My beast is not super twinked (I don't get into that until 40 or so once I've figured out I like playing the Char enough to spend some serious cash on them). Although I did strip a couple nicer pieces; i.e., Cloak of Pernicity, Blood Earring of Rage, etc., from couple other Chars and gave them to him. Overall I'd say though he's equipped a little above avg. Unbuffed AC 684 & HP 1000 or so, all important stats 125+. So what am I missing?

I went to area around CT in Feerott. Since my beast is VS those casters tore me up and needed lots of down time for healing/medding. Tried OT but xp seemed so slow (4-5 kills per blue) and still was getting a pretty good amount of dmg. Tried the area around Kejek city in Stonebrunt, that seemed pretty good and dmg not too bad, depending on mobs, but couldn't seem to find a ton of mobs to hunt (note here: I didn't hunt the tigers & other cats, personal issue about attacking something that's Amiable :) ). Ended up back in DSP doing Zels till I dinged 35.

So am I just expecting too much from these areas or is my equip really sub-par and that's why others find these areas so good? Appreciate all feedback and thx all for great info.

Heck
"It was a woman that drove me to drink and I never wrote to thank her."  -- WC Fields

Jolrash

It's been awhile since i've been there but try the GD.  Most of the zone is empty unless there is a ring war going on.  Try the tizmaks and if they are to low go for the drakkel wolves.  Giants will still hurt big time but can be done.  I've always prefered the OT grouped or solo.  Also give some LDON's a shot.  Exp still isn't that bad at 35.

Jzath

As you see for yourself, how good the xp for a zone is very dependent on the perspective of others.  I never cared for OT though I hear many times how good it is to hunt and I have spent a few hunts there because the group decided to go.  OT is better than LFG xp.

Personally I got lucky to get decent groups going through the hotspot xp zones so I cannot give you any first hand solo advice.

If you can keep your sense of direction, I think killing orcs in Crystal Caverns is something you can solo.  I find dungeon crawls fun though and picking up velium drops as I spiral down the passages is good to experience.  The xp is not spectacular but it should still move.
Jzath, beastlord
70 bloodmoons
FV server
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1215044

Hereki

Personally, I dislike OT.  I have done several levels there on different characters, and it always seems slow, add prone, and hard to find mobs of the right level - solo or in a group.  Dawnshroud (for me) was always better, just super boring.  You need to find the right spot for each set of levels; for 30-33, the shroom farm (building near GE with lots of shroom) seemed best, then 34-38 either tribals, or small and normal zelniaks in the centre ring of hills.  39+, if you can stand it, your options open up.

Gunthak beach on undead is another spot, although you would do best with a healer to 34.

JillieMT

30 to 39 is just the worst, lol! I would suggest that you remain in DSP, and grind it out. Everything everywhere past level 39 is fun, but you just have to grind to get there. I tried lotsa spots too, but ended up just getting a KEI  when I could, then grinding hard on the zelniaks in DSP, just to get to 39. Once you are past that, it's worth the boredom.  :P
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

danaconda

I had lots of fun in Crystal Caverns and then SolA Gnomes at this level range. I had a druid partner so runners were never a problem, and since CC is so far out there the druid could just port us out. I found these levels to be very profitable and fun in CC. If you set up camp near the Coldain city in the dungeon, you will soon be indifferent to them to sell, to bank, to buy food/water..... and down there the spawns of orcs are separate enough that runners won't get far as it is. Try it out.

Just grab an invis potion or two (the velium drops will pay for this 1000-fold) and cast levitate on yourself and you can float right down to the bottom of the first "pit" and find your way to the Coldain village. Set up camp near the first orc closest to the village and then start chain-pulling. I made over 7k here during my 4 level visit from Velium sales in the bazaar. Getting out of the dungeon I hear isn't too much fun, but since my druid was there I never ran into a problem. You might wanna buy maybe a 1-dose gate potion if you can afford it. Trust me you will make back the money easy! Every type of velium brick/piece sells in the bazaar.

***EDIT*** I never actually hunted down by the city myself. I set up camp near zone-in. I did, however, see many people camping the orcs near city. They called them "lower orcs" in /ooc camp check. Runners might be a problem for you up there, that's why I suggested hunting by the city. The entrance is good also as long as you can split the first double spawn effectively.
Dedlee Beatdown retired
Troll Beastlord of Lanys T'Vyl
(moved onto WoW - Mannoroth server, same name)