Main Menu

DoT Efficiency and the Beastlord

Started by Azmod, November 03, 2004, 09:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azmod

( caveat: I what I know about html coding could be scribed on the head of a pin, a very small pin so forgive the formatting ) Yes, I am bored and I promised the GF I wouldn't play EQ today, the operative word being PLAY, bwahahahaha...

For the purposes of this post I have split the DoT's into their two lines, Poison and Disease. All calculations assume the DoT running its full duration and the perfect world condition of no resists and crits, no extended durations etc...

Casting time was not factored in as I haven't been able to get a HARD number on the hybrid reduction. Some say 50% but in game data looks to be closer to 36-40%. Regardless, in all but the most extreme conditions it looks like it can be considered that the player will lose 1.5-2.0 seconds of melee dps per DoT cast, so insert your appropriate numbers.

The categories are as follow, space delimited, Level, Name of DoT, Mana Cost, Duration in Tics, Total Damage (Initial+[/tic*tics]), Damage per Second (dps), Damage per Mana (dpm), Counters added

Poison
66 - Chimera Blood : 448 7 1543 36.74 3.44 18
65 - Turepta Blood : 396 7 1248 29.71 3.15 10
61 - Scorpion Venom : 360 7 1132 26.95 3.14 10
52 - Venom of Snake : 160 7 453 10.79 2.83 7
39 - Envenomed Breath : 100 7 219 5.21 2.19 3
22 - Tainted Breath : 40 7 66 1.57 1.65 5

Disease
70 - Festering Malady : 250 9 990 18.33 3.96 18
65 - Plague : 300 21 1215 9.64 4.05 9
44 - Malaria : 140 9 405 7.5 2.89 3
15 - Sicken : 30 21 50 0.40 1.67 1

Sadly as wimpy as Festering Malady may be for a L70 spell, it fits into the progressions of the disease line. Mana Efficiency of Plague is out of line due to its extreme duration, but even considering that FM isn't too far out of line. It's counters though, ugh!
Yes, I would like to have something to look forward to, but currently I can see almost no reason to use FM over a cast of say Scorpion Venom for a second dot.

Interestingly, I see from the above that Turepta Blood is just Scorpion Venom x 1.1, 10% more mana, damage,  etc, but for the same counters and per mana efficiency, so it is a more efficient version, and DOES stack.
Azmod 66 Beastlord of The Seventh Hammer

Tastian

FM is the only dot I've used outside of kite groups or solo'n since malaria.  FM has disease counters that generate virtually no extra aggro like poison counters do.  FM is also only a 1.5 casting time and I keep mem'd probably 80-90% of the time atm.  If they'd actually raise the dmg per tick up a bit more to where it should be it'd be one of my favorite omens spells by far (yeah that's not saying a ton, but it's nice).  

SV, TB, and omfg especially CB are just too much aggro for me to use outside of tanking/kiting/solo'n.  Especially since omens I've found myself back to "plow" solo'n instead of killing harder mobs, so dots aren't even more mana efficent for me.  *shrugs*  It'd be nice to actually use dots more, but there are just too many things stacked againist them.  Aggro on poison dots, far more expensive AA, extra aggro from crits/focus, lack of focus (really would like something other than just cold focus on some schit), etc.

Oh yeah and all dots have a "phantom tick" that doesn't show in the spell dat.  SV for instance goes 8 ticks.  *shrugs*

Gurgar

Heh, I actually picked up the Extended Torment IV augment from Ldon too.  Why not add even more ticks? :)  Chimera Blood does 9 ticks of 200, plus the initial blast of 184.  Just a hair under 2k damage.  And that's without BA.  I need to get my hands on a BA focus effect.  That'll put Chimera blood up close to 2200 damage.  Not bad at all for a hybrid class.  Wish I had Turepta Blood.  Then I'd stack the two. :)  I tried for it but I did 2103948203948320948 damn sewers farm runs and never saw a damn spell the entire time.  Seriously.  It was most discouraging.  Anyway, I tank most of the time, so I don't mind the aggro.

Eatbugs

QuoteWish I had Turepta Blood. Then I'd stack the two.

And you'd be tanking.  :wink:

I don't understand why they put 18 poison counters on Chimera Blood - it does 25% more damage per tick than Turepta blood, but it has 80% more aggro?  Bizarre design decision.
Grimgrey Dorfeater
Troll Wildblood
Undivided Faith
Drinal

Azmod

I am not sure if these numbers are still accurate from my old shaman days, or even were back then,  but the rule of thumb for aggro purposes as I remember it was that a Poison counter was the equivilant of ~100 damage, while a Disease was ~20(25?), resisted or not.
So CB is treated as almost a 2k hit right up front and then has the per tic as additional.

For example the slow, Sha's Revenge adds 16 disease, which while not a ton of initial aggro, the 5 recasts before it sticks DOES add the aggro up fast.

Gurgar

Okay, this was just funny last night in WoS. :)

"A raging chimera's veins fill with chimera blood."

P.S.  How can anyone say that Sha's Revenge doesn't have a ton of initial aggro? :)

Oneiromancer

I think Slow has two aggro effects...the Disease counters (which also delineate how to remove it) and the actual Slow.  The Disease counters aren't much aggro, but the Slow sure is.  DoTs also have two aggro effects...the Poison or Disease counters, and then the damage (both initial and per tick).  Especially in the case of Poison, both will get you aggro...there are many reports (both from us and, say, necros) of getting aggro on critical ticks.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Tastian

If you think sha's is a ton of aggro now you should have used it back when slows were first changed.  I had oh so much fun on my shaman when they first changed slows over to having disease counters when disease counters were big aggro too.  To put it in perspective sks used to use disease cloud to tank simliar to how we use tainted breath now and disease cloud only has 1 disease counter lol.  Slow is definitely big aggro still, but it's nothing like it was when the change first happend and the disease counter portion of it is very weak aggro relative to most other things in the game.

negrismorte

Quote from: Oneiromancerthere are many reports (both from us and, say, necros) of getting aggro on critical ticks.

necro analysis was that a crit affliction hit was exactly 2x normal agro.

Azmod

Quote from: GurgarP.S.  How can anyone say that Sha's Revenge doesn't have a ton of initial aggro? :)

In Omens groups, assuming I am with a decent aggro generating tank, IF Sha's Revenge takes on a single cast I am likely to get summoned but not even swung on before it is back to beating on the tank.  Most WoS, Bloodfiled, Nobles and Draniks xpd's trash mobs slow on the first try. Yet to play the slower in any deeper zones there, but the first few zones slowstake well and I seldom draw aggro from JUST the slow on trash mobs.

If however as is common on nameds that it takes 3-5 casts to stick a slow, by the time it sticks I can very easily be tanking myself. Now if it is one of the 500-600 hitting ones I can last easily long enough to back out and cool off, one of the 1100-1500 ones and it gets scarey, one of the 2k+ ones and by the time i know I am being hit I am 'Loading Please Wait'.

Now if I slap a dot in, and my weapons proc rate goes high, I can, and have, pulled aggro off of 70's War/Paly's and SK's. But seldom from just a single cast of Slow or a DoT.

Aneya

When I'm slowing I keep auto attack off to minimize my agro.  The same when I'm tanking and want to pass agro to a tank.
EQ Aneya 70 Beastlord Tarew Marr
EQ2 Evalin Swashbuckler Mistmoore

Volsykat

Okay...I spent a few hours last night in NC trying to scrounge runes in a group, and I was preslowing on inc before the ench slowed around 80%, and I never once drew aggro off the 68 paladin we had tanking.  I only dotted once the entire night, and the moment I did the mob was on me and stayed on me for about 40%, the paladin couldn't get it off me.  Didn't matter much, for some reason it missed me all but twice in a 20 second span or so.  So slowing at 100% never got me aggro, but dotting at 88% did for half the mob's remaining lifespan.
Volsykat Litterbox
66th Feral Lord of Solusek Ro
Sun Clan of Warriors

Musogi

Have you ever laced a mob up with just about every dot you have, turn on protection, turn on bestial allignment 3, click your epic 1.5, fire off a roar of thunder 3, and go nuts?  

Massive damooge.
Then turn on perfection of spirit 3, kick back, and laugh.

Aneya

For PoEa mud rings I load up 8 damage spells, 4 nukes 4 dots since root normaly puts me too far from the boss mob to melee. The Dots help me get summoned back into melee range but by that time I'm nolonger in the mood to melee. :P
EQ Aneya 70 Beastlord Tarew Marr
EQ2 Evalin Swashbuckler Mistmoore

Gurgar

I love protective spirit SOOOOOOOOOOO much.  I didn't use it at all til I was level 65 with about 200 AAs.

Yeah, I honestly don't know what was wrong with me either.