Main Menu

Any Empirical Pet Buffing Out There?

Started by Hecklerkoch, November 12, 2004, 01:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hecklerkoch

As you can probably tell, from my many posts the last couple weeks, I'm a new (well L51 atm) BL. I'm reading and trying everything I can find around here to help me get better at him. One thing that keeps twitching my old tired mind is whether or not anyone's done any sort of parsing, analysis, whatever, with regard to the actual benefits/effects of pet buffing.

From reading posts in different places I can't quite get a clear picture. I've seen recommendations for buying and equipping pets with Phantom Plate, along with full buffs. I've also seen some folks talk about just putting 2-3 buffs on their pet. To this point, again L51, my Set Up spell set has all my buffs in it. Every 20 minutes or so I bring that up and hit myself with all my buffs then target pet and hit him with all of them. Next I have a Pet spell set, has pet summon, all his procs, tiny companion, etc., which I then bring up and get him with haste and proc.

What I've noticed on a couple occasions where I was hunting quickly and buffs started to drop, is I don't seem to see an appreciable (aside from haste and proc) difference when it comes to my pet. When I've been pet clericing and his Inner Fire and Protect say drop, I don't see any noticable difference in my frequency of healing on him. Recently I've skipped buffing him with Str because that appears to have no impact, seems his dmg is capped. So, has anyone done or seen any analysis of the actual impact/benefit of Pet buffing, again other than haste (effect obvious just watching him when it's on vs. off), proc (again obvious), and Dex (not quite as obvious but from what I can tell he does indeed proc more)?

If so, or if only by personal observation, what seems to be the concensus on "must have" pet buffs. Can save myself some time and mana if I definitely don't need a full buff cycle on him.

Thx.

Heck
"It was a woman that drove me to drink and I never wrote to thank her."  -- WC Fields

Tastian

Usual buff setup on pet is:

Pet proc
Pet haste
Dex buff

Then throw on sow, hp buff, etc for situational buffs if you are kiting or pet is tanking or whatever.

+atk buffs will help the pet some, but because of how pet damage is distributed the difference the atk grants is smaller than it would be for say a player.  Still brawn lasts awhile so it doesn't hurt and gives a few more hps.

There are parses on boards about dex buffs, atk buffs, sta doing nothing, etc.  I don't have the time to dig them up atm, but they are out there hehe.  There are other buffs you can put on your pet that do something like inner fire does grant hps/ac, but it's a matter of mana cost, time spent buffing, etc and some buffs just aren't worth it.  Well other buffs like sta do absolutely nothing and there's no gain at all from doing it.

Here are a couple threads I found without even using search on the very next page of this section lol...

http://www.beastlords.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3071

http://www.beastlords.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2944

sunkash

A level 70 shaman guildie buffed my pet last night, sry I didn't think to list out all the buffs pet had at the time, but I was more than a little suprised at the results.
I was not aware any buffs would increase pets max hit/crit.

pet is level 64 with DPOC pet was fighting in rouge position against mobs in PON, with me as the tank;

max hit = 82; max crit= 136, about 4% increase in max, and appears to me at first read that min hit
is also greatly improved.

part of my log ( i removed all messages not related to pet hits; i.e my hits & misses,etc; and left one space, for readability ).
although I have a few hours of parses if anyone really wants to see them, its a 52M file though.

Jan 16 23:04:50 2005] Sunkash`s warder claws a blood raven for 136 points of damage.
[Sun Jan 16 23:04:50 2005] Sunkash`s warder tries to claw a blood raven, but misses!
[Sun Jan 16 23:04:50 2005] Sunkash`s warder claws a blood raven for 75 points of damage.

[Sun Jan 16 23:04:58 2005] Sunkash`s warder tries to claw a blood raven, but misses!
[Sun Jan 16 23:04:58 2005] Sunkash`s warder claws a blood raven for 82 points of damage.
[Sun Jan 16 23:04:58 2005] Sunkash`s warder claws a blood raven for 82 points of damage.

[Sun Jan 16 23:05:07 2005] Sunkash`s warder claws a blood raven for 82 points of damage.

[Sun Jan 16 23:05:12 2005] Sunkash`s warder tries to claw a blood raven, but a blood raven parries!
[Sun Jan 16 23:05:12 2005] Sunkash`s warder claws a blood raven for 52 points of damage.

[Sun Jan 16 23:05:13 2005] Sunkash`s warder bashes a blood raven for 29 points of damage.

[Sun Jan 16 23:05:13 2005] Sunkash`s warder claws a blood raven for 82 points of damage.
[Sun Jan 16 23:05:13 2005] Sunkash`s warder claws a blood raven for 82 points of damage.

[Sun Jan 16 23:05:14 2005] Taunting attacker, Master.

[Sun Jan 16 23:05:15 2005] Sunkash`s warder claws a blood raven for 49 points of damage.
[Sun Jan 16 23:05:15 2005] Sunkash`s warder tries to claw a blood raven, but misses!

[Sun Jan 16 23:05:16 2005] Sunkash`s warder claws a blood raven for 82 points of damage.
[Sun Jan 16 23:05:16 2005] Sunkash`s warder tries to claw a blood raven, but misses!
[Sun Jan 16 23:05:16 2005] Sunkash`s warder tries to claw a blood raven, but misses!

[Sun Jan 16 23:05:17 2005] Sunkash`s warder tries to bash a blood raven, but a blood raven dodges!

[Sun Jan 16 23:05:18 2005] Sunkash`s warder tries to claw a blood raven, but a blood raven dodges!

[Sun Jan 16 23:05:19 2005] Sunkash`s warder claws a blood raven for 59 points of damage.
[Sun Jan 16 23:05:19 2005] Sunkash`s warder claws a blood raven for 46 points of damage.
[Sun Jan 16 23:05:20 2005] Your pet's Spiritual Strength spell has worn off.

[Sun Jan 16 23:05:21 2005] Sunkash`s warder tries to claw a blood raven, but misses!
[Sun Jan 16 23:05:21 2005] Sunkash`s warder tries to claw a blood raven, but misses!

[Sun Jan 16 23:05:21 2005] Sunkash`s warder bashes a blood raven for 29 points of damage.
[Sun Jan 16 23:05:22 2005] Sunkash`s warder claws a blood raven for 69 points of damage.

[Sun Jan 16 23:05:24 2005] Sunkash`s warder scores a critical hit! (136)
[Sun Jan 16 23:05:24 2005] Sunkash`s warder claws a blood raven for 136 points of damage.
[Sun Jan 16 23:05:24 2005] Sunkash`s warder claws a blood raven for 82 points of damage.
[Sun Jan 16 23:05:24 2005] Sunkash`s warder claws a blood raven for 43 points of damage.

[Sun Jan 16 23:05:26 2005] Sunkash`s warder claws a blood raven for 82 points of damage.
[Sun Jan 16 23:05:26 2005] a blood raven has been slain by Sunkash`s warder!

Bengali

Spirit of Might (SHM 67) will increase your pet's damage mod (doesn't have any effect if pet has Growl of the Beast (BST 68)) by 5%, so that could have been it.  Champion (SHM 70) will increase the damage mod by 10%, and will increase the max hit even if the pet has Growl of the Beast.  Druids also have a 5% damage mod spell (Lion's Strength).

Chanter haste will increase the pet's chance to crit, even though it doesn't add any haste beyond our own pet haste.
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

sunkash

Will have to try this again to see what spell it was, for  sure, and had not seen any posts mentioning increases,
so was a pleasant surpise.
I'm level 65 (not 68), and pet I was using is the level 64 pet spell, (Spirit of Sorsha) w/DPOC cons level 61.
Guess I was a bit confusing stating level 64 pet.

Bengali

Yeah, I figured that.  I don't remember what the max hit of the 64 pet is offhand, so I couldn't tell you for certain whether it was Spirit of Might or Champion that was cast on you.  But if I have to guess, I'm 99% sure that  the Shaman put Spirit of Might on your pet.  If it was champion, then you would probably have noticed the effect on yourself, plus it has a much shorter duration and is a group v1 spell so the shaman would have had to have been in your group (and you'd need pet affinity, which I don't know whether you have or not)
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Chakkorisi

I have no parses to substantiate this, but I have not seen any noticable DPS output from my warder with Lion's Strength.  Anyone parse this?

Chakk

Nusa

If you're using Growl of the Beast, Lion's Strength and Spirit of Might will have zero effect on your pet. All three buffs have a 5% damage modifier, and they don't stack.

Champion (shaman group-buff avatar), however, has a 10% modifier, so it would be an improvement over your pet haste.