Main Menu

So... how ya like EQ2?

Started by JillieMT, November 13, 2004, 04:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JillieMT

Haven't seen much discussion about it post-release, what's up? Is everyone too busy having a good time? And the silence of the pro-WoW anti-EQ2 people sure does say alot, lol...  :)

I have been so busy, that I've been unable to get it yet. I last played in beta the end of last month, and I was having a great time with it. Is everyone enjoying it? Should I be rushing to the shop to get it?
Lady Jillianna Silversoul and Cody
71.181 Halasian Feral Lady - Morell-Thule... erm, Erollisi Marr
Faveo Sulum Ipsemet Ascio

Koullyn

Personally so far I think it sucks. They hurried up the release with bugs galore and instability. Why AMD 64 users have so many issues is beyond me. I cannot play at all on my game box and I even switched to my P4 box and it is still laggy. I play on a 3.0/784 broadband connection so I know it is not network related. The techs of course ignore the posts from hundreds of users.

Gameplay is mediocre I think. I have spent 7 levels on the Island of Refuge and some of it is fun, but most is just hit attack and go. To me it seems like a glorified version of EQ that doesn't included Beastlords. On the contrast I have been playing WoW beta at the same time and it is much more fun and much more stable. Even in beta they are running things better than what should be a proven EQ2. I really regret buying this so far.
-- Retired Level 70 Beastlord --
http://www.wowgamers.com
http://www.wwm.net

Iskandar

Keep in mind that the Isle of Refuge is the newbie training ground -- it's sort of the same as the semi-ingame EQ1 tutorial, or a level 1 EQ1 newbie fighting Orc Pawns outside Kelethin (even wizards get to melee at that stage of the game :P). You learn the interface and controls, see how simple quests work, experience rudimentary tradeskills, get some basic equipment, and get a few levels out of it all. If you want to really see the game, choose a city, leave the Isle, and explore Antonica or the Commonlands some. :)
Wildcaller Iskandar Darkpaw --  80 Beastlord, Cohort Chalybeius, Cazic Thule

"Didn't ya hear? That which doesn't kill you makes ya stronger. So suck it up, OK?" ~C.C.
"That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger. That which does kill me I will hunt down after I respawn." ~D.H.

Lorathir

I'm reserving judgement on it right now. I've only just got off the Isle and noticed the horrible fps dip in Qeynos, so I'm playing the side quest - Adjusting Your Graphics Settings. I've spent more time in the options menu than anywhere else today. It feels like I'm tradeskilling.  :roll:

Brungo

I am not liking it much atm.  I am sick of the quest.  THey pretty much force feed them down your throat.  I dunno.  Just let me go and kill ish!
-Jayson-
Brungo(51) Primalist-veeshan

avsfanboi

Well I played beta for about 2 1/2 months. And I canceled my pre order about 2 weeks before release.

I have a high end system and the fps were really bad in some areas. I HATE the shared exp debt. Overwhelmed with quests,although I do like quests.  Only having 4 characters per account sucks. I have about 5 other things I dont like about it, I will spare you those.

Overall just not what I was expecting.

Ogee

I tried it cause my eq guild was doing nothing . Got to lvl 8 . Eq2 sucks imo .

Kinash

Quote from: avsfanboiWell I played beta for about 2 1/2 months. And I canceled my pre order about 2 weeks before release.

I have a high end system and the fps were really bad in some areas. I HATE the shared exp debt. Overwhelmed with quests,although I do like quests.  Only having 4 characters per account sucks. I have about 5 other things I dont like about it, I will spare you those.

Overall just not what I was expecting.

Personally I love the idea of the shared XP dept, so the lazy bunny clerics just can't sit and collect XP and let the tank die. We should have that in EQ1 so those who just let their party die and port out will think twice before screwing over the rest of their party!
Kinash Kattar
Level 66, Khati Sha Apprentice
Tholuxe Paells (Bertox)
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=594639

Fistinyereyes

Meh, I've seen nothing but negative replies, so I'll post a good one =D

Mind you, I have played EQ1 since pre-kunark and have a 68/301 toon, so I was kinda looking forward to the idea of a change of scenery-

First off, don't expect eq2 to be the same game, cause it is definitly NOT. Also, alot of people have issues with the game and I respect their veiws, but some of the things people don't like, could be good ideas to other poeple.

I personally like Exp debt.. you can NEVER loose a level, but there is a penelty for death.. and group exp debt is a nice touch cause it makes everyone be more careful.

Every zone in the game other than city zones can/will have more than one instance of it... so if one is too crowded for you, you can move and find the mobs you need not camped in another version of the zone, it's awesome imo.

Quests are worth doing!!!

I don't like how you are REQUIRED to do some quests before you are allowed to level.. I think any quest in any MMORPG should be optional, but they aren't too bad for the most part in this case, and you still get other nice item/cash rewards for them.

I like how melee get a new ability almost every level, and how Power or "mana" is just as important to them as it is to casters. The spell variaty is fairly lacking for the casters, since you don't get spell sets, but my main atm is a level 11 cleric, and I'm still enjoying how he is progressing.

The game is huge, zones are amazingly realistic... the commonlands/Antonica LOOK like they are big enough to truely be farmlands with roads that matter, rather than like EC/WC which didn't.

There's wildlife, and cows, and pet cats/dogs running around. There's a billion quests in every zone , I didn't like quests in eq1, never ever did them.. I had to FORCE myself to do the bst epic rofl, but I'm enjoying quests in eq2

Repairing armor sucks, but it's a penelty from death and only gets damaged when you die-- easy solution, don't die :p .

Everyone gets a gate-to-home spell at like level 6/7ish, and that's very very nice.

Meh, that's all I have to say for now I guess =)

Jkal_Shihar

I'm kinda curious on those playing atm though. How's the lag and stuff like that.

Reason why I'm asking is I was thinking of trying it but my one computer is way below the spec limit but other one has a 1.2ghz amd athlon, 512 sdram, ati 9700 vid card.

Also, I run off a cable modem through a router cause of the other computer hookup.

Just been reading how the game is intense on graphics and such and hoping my machine can handle it.
Animist Jkal Shi`har and tigger
Arch Animist of the Tribunal Server
My Magelo
*still my main since dec. 2001*

Aneya

One thing I've noticed is how underhyped EQ2 has been. On release day the big thing was Halo 2. EQ2 quietly showed up on store shelves and just as quietly disapeared from store shelves, and yet some servers are reporting over a thousand players in the zone Antonica, spread over 4 or more instances during prime time.

I believe that WoW is way over hyped much in the same way as Star Wars Episode 1 was. I think that many people are setting themselves up for a big disapointment on release day.

Some people think eq2 is a dumbed down version of eq. I disagree. EQ2 is atleast an order of magnitude more complex but many of the diferences are subtle and hard to distinguish without careful observations. Take tradeskills. Each tradeskill has 3 reactive/buff effects. However, each tradeskill behaves differently. So how you use those reactives changes depending on which tradeskill you are working on.

QuoteReason why I'm asking is I was thinking of trying it but my one computer is way below the spec limit but other one has a 1.2ghz amd athlon, 512 sdram, ati 9700 vid card.

EQ2 is a cleaner design than EQ, thus it should actualy run better than EQ as long as you meet the minimum requirements.

Some higher end set ups have had lag problems because their graphics settings are set too high. This can easily be solved by lowering the graphics settings a bit.
EQ Aneya 70 Beastlord Tarew Marr
EQ2 Evalin Swashbuckler Mistmoore

Jkal_Shihar

Yeah, that's what I wanted to make sure. I was two boxing EQ sort of. (I had an account and wife had an account).

Other comp I know cant handle EQ2. It's just a amd k6-III 450 with 256sdram and the ati 9700 vid card.

But from what I read and look up. EQ2 is in a way kinda how I use to play pen and paper D&D back in the day. :)
Animist Jkal Shi`har and tigger
Arch Animist of the Tribunal Server
My Magelo
*still my main since dec. 2001*

Oneiromancer

Quote from: AneyaI believe that WoW is way over hyped much in the same way as Star Wars Episode 1 was. I think that many people are setting themselves up for a big disapointment on release day.

I've been playing the WoW open beta and I've been enjoying it very much.  I didn't believe the hype of those who had played earlier betas, but now I see where they're coming from.

However, after reading many posts on different boards these last few days, of people who are enjoying EQ2 a lot, I might try it out.  Most of my guildmates have already started playing, my girlfriend really wants to play it, and I am having trouble arguing against it when I haven't even tried it personally.  :D

So I'll probably be getting it...I wanted to buy Metroid Prime 2 tonight but maybe I'll get EQ2 instead.  I probably shouldn't buy both anyway...not with Christmas coming up.

/sigh...

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

rhorse

Make sure you don't have a GeForce 4 MX440 video card or you cant run EQ2.

Georey

Lorathir

Whaddya mean ya drank more than I did?