Main Menu

Pet weapon question/issue

Started by Bengali, November 20, 2004, 05:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bengali

A mage friend told me that if a pet already has two weapons, if you give it more it will equip one of the new ones but not both.  He also seemed to indicate that pets will choose what to equip based on AC.

This raised the question of what happens when I have a couple of weapons that I want the pet to have and then a mage hands him some new ones.  I'm thinking of a well intentioned mage of course but any player who wants to be a jerk could hand my pet rusty weapons and I wouldn't know.

The problem is that there's no confirmation window or anything for pet trades, no way to get the pet to unequip anything, and no way for me to even know what weapons he has because he's not a humanoid (that last part is okay -- I think my tiger would look stupid with two swords coming out of his paws).

I specifically bring this up because I actually like to use the staff of the north wind mage weapons, but not all mages have them and some of our guild mages will hand out burning shanks or evern fists of ixiblat to all the bst warders they see.  I'm wondering if my pet is equipping an ixi fist or burning shank in place of one staff.

Anyway, does anyone know the answer to this?
Savagespirit Bengali Grimmspirit, Scion of Shar Vahl

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.
And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Choppin

maybe you could grp with an enc and let your warder be illusioned, so you can see the weps it uses  /shrug
Choppin Lethal
Feral Lord

Dummkopf

Aye, getting the pumpkinhead buff on your pett will show what weapons it wields, can get rid of that buff by suspending .)

Tastian

Testing it out now, let ya know in a bit...

Tastian

Ok here's what I have atm...

Went to the bazaar and collected a ton of different weapons:

Pierce, slash, blunt, summoned, non, proc, non, etc.

I took summoned pet and had attack mob and watched it bite only.  

Next I gave pet a 1hb with no AC or proc and a poker with no AC or proc.

Pet was then crushing and piercing the mob.

Gave the pet a sword with +2ac on it...

Pet was then slashing and piercing

Then gave pet a 1hb with AC and pet was then slashing and crushing.

Next I gave pet fireclaw talons (no ac), and pet was biting and slashing.

I then fed pet summoned blades of kedge and pet started slashing only.

Then fed pet summoned fists and it started only biting.

So the warder is definitely using new weapons.  AC doesn't seem to have special weight though as I was able to have the pet take non-AC weaposn when they already had weapons with AC on.  Also stats don't seem to matter since I could swap between summoned weapons that have identical stats.  I'm going to run back to bazaar and pick up some really horrible rusty weapons real fast and see if those will rep the summoned fists the pet is using atm.  If so then it seems like whatever pet is given last is what they'll use.  *shrugs*  Definitely lame though, going to start hiding my pet and I'll mention this.

Tastian

Ok, just took pet that still had 2 mage summoned fists for weapons and tried giving a host of weapons like FS longsword and pet wouldn't take.  Guess it's off to the bazaar to throw various weapons at pet and see what it checks againist before equipping.  Maybe hps?  *shrugs*

Tastian

Ok same pet just had fists and I can't get them to change that currently.  I've tried weapons with higher hps, weapons with higher base dmg, etc.  *shrugs* one more trip to the bazaar and I'll try some AC weapons and different summoned weapons again.  

Btw, I honestly think I've spent far more pp on weapons and things to parse with than most have on tradeskills over the years lol.

Tastian

*shrugs*  Pet just keeps on using fists atm.  Tried giving blunt with AC, poker with AC, weapons with more hps, weapons with higher base dmg, etc.  It might just take whatever it's given up to a certain # and then stop, but I really don't know atm.  AC definitely isn't the deciding factor though as I could go from AC weapons to summoned fists/blades.

Dummkopf

Rofl Tastian, do you ever sleep, work or just enjoy RL? I sure appreaciate your work but dont get yourself too much involved, its just a game after all  :twisted:

Tastian

Sleep:

Sunday - 4 hours
Monday - 4-6 hours
Tuesday - none
Wednesday - 2 hour nap around 3pm
Thursday - 4-6 hours
Friday - 1-7 hours
Saturday - 4-6 hours

I need some clarification on this "enjoy RL" thing, does not compute lol.

Bengali

Quote from: TastianIt might just take whatever it's given up to a certain # and then stop

Actually I think I do remember seeing a post from Ryan saying that pets will only equip a certain number of things before they stop.

I have pet damage as numbers only and I don't feel like seeing the spam from claw/slash/crush/pierce so I guess I'll just have my pet gimped from time to time when mages decide to be "nice" and give me stuff I don't want.  I wish there was a pet trade window that showed up for the owner when someone is giving stuff to the pet.  Or at the very least, a toggle where I could make my pet say, "thank you mage_01, but I have no need for this" once I got the equipment I wanted and I didn't want it changed.

"My friend Mark said that he saw Bengali totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window.

Tastian

I am not at home, but I ran some more tests.  If you want pet to keep the weapons you want just feed them trash first hehe.  Get like 4 sets of weapons instead of 2 and basically flood the pet so they keep the final set you give them. hehe  

Personally, I'd rather have mages be "nice" and randomly throw weapons on my pet than the usual handing me schit.  God it's so fugging annoying when I have a mage ask me if my pet needs gear and then have my trade window pop up.  You just asked me, we just confirmed what was needed, why do I have to be a middle man?  If it were a spare set or something that'd be great, but my warder is 4 game feet away from me, they don't bite unless I tell them to, so hand them the fraggin gear and save me rumaging through my bags and possibly handing pet my old battle fists or something lol.

Bengali

LOL, I 'm just the opposite.  I don't want anybody handing my pet stuff without my permission.  Mages love their cold-proc swords (the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, so a lot of them seem to think that cold is more fun because they don't get cold spells), but having 3,464 useless cold based attacks myself I don't want my pet proccing more effects that will just bounce off mobs like a super ball.  Then there's the other mages who give me burning shanks or ixi fists 5 minutes before I head to Riftseekers to fight Pyrilens who will just laugh at it (but they laugh at my other spells too so I guess it doesn't matter).

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that mages are willing to give free stuff to my pet.  I just want to KNOW what the heck they are giving it so I can tell them to abort if needed.

That's kinda why I like the toggle idea -- something like /pet noaccept and when you turn it on your pet will give stuff back to people like other NPCs do when you give them the wrong stuff.  Then I could "protect" what my pet has once I load him up with the gear I want.

Bengali

Of course, it's not really that big a deal since my pet dies a lot now and I don't even bother to resummon it half the time since it's an anemic POS with the DPS of a naked kunark pally and the toughness of an orc pawn with the flu.

Anyhow, don't mind me -- I'm just really depressed about the way I have to play now (which is do absolutely nothing but rebuff all the stupid casters with SA every 45 seconds because they are too lazy to avoid getting hit with Fulmination) and wondering why the heck I even bother.