Main Menu

Ok so I just read the WoW manual ...

Started by Incite, November 29, 2004, 11:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neight

Admins, could we get a forum for "incessant fanboy bullshit" please? Thanks in advance.

Neight
Neight Wulfe <Requiem>
75 Barbarian Beastlord
The Tribunal

Khayden

Quote from: neightAdmins, could we get a forum for "incessant fanboy bullshit" please? Thanks in advance.

Neight

LOL wondered how long it would take someone.

Very original and well thought out.
Khayden
75 Barbarian Wildcaller of Mithaniel Marr
Bertoxxulous

Incite

Quote from: neightAdmins, could we get a forum for "incessant fanboy bullshit" please? Thanks in advance.

Neight

I don't see any fanboy bullshit anywhere on this thread.

Please remove your [*****] from your [*****] and have a nice day!
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=993776">http://www.border.plus.com/images/Incite1.jpg">

No bounce, no play.

ghostryder

Well, i've gotten to 25 in woW and I'm far from bored and no where near getting to 60 any time soon. The quests, the trade skills, the exploring all work together to enthrall the player in the world.

As for the B-NET crowd? Mostly centered on the PvP servers much like in EQ. I switched and had a character on a regular server and it seemed about the same as the crowd on the Rathe.

I ended up on a RP server where people actually roleplay and Blizzard actually supports and stands behind rules for people who violate it. You can't sit and tell everyone in general chat about your new computer, your flat tire, etc. Something that was getting pretty common on FV.

Overall on the RP server I'd describe the player base better than any I've seen on any servers in EQ. The normal servers are about the same and the PvP servers are to be avoided. Not too unlike EQ.

All those casting doubt on Wow simply have not played it. I have yet seen any shortfall. I haven't even seen a game bug yet.

Unlike EQ, where expansions force players into a narrow raid nitch or group nitch I expect Blizzard to keep the gameplay balanced for all as the intial release looks to be. There will be no 'join guild to see most of expansion' nonesense. Blizzard doesn't think narrow or only try to please a single type of player- WoW manages to please all types.

In fact, in fun, gameplay, design, there simply isn't a comparison. I endured eq since beta but I'm finally enjoying an online game as much as i enjoy single player games.

Finally I no longer have to wait months or years for the Dev team to fix my class then only have another expansion unbalance it again.

Lorathir

Quote from: ghostryderAs for the B-NET crowd? Mostly centered on the PvP servers much like in EQ. I switched and had a character on a regular server and it seemed about the same as the crowd on the Rathe.

A slight aside, but I must say one thing. A common rallying cry EQ2 fanboys use is "wow is full of b-net kiddies." Wander about Antonica for 5 mins on the rp server in EQ2 and you've got your b-netters right there. I daresay the Commonlands are no different.

This myth that only Blizzard games are affected by nobs and d00ds and the mature choose Sony is exactly that - a myth.

Incite

Well my experience on a low population, non-PvP server is that the "B-Net kiddie" element does exist and is there.  Fortunately it's not that noticable, although I'm sure it is probably worse on PvP servers.  I probably don't help as I am living up to my name (Incite Riots) somewhat and more than once have left a zone having started people arguing about stuff ...  :oops:

The community is noticably immature in WoW, just like EQ was right at the start.  Attempted KSing is common and rolling into other people's camps is common as well.  This is 99% not malicious but simply people not having the kind of etiquette that we have developed in EQ and I'm sure it will change.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=993776">http://www.border.plus.com/images/Incite1.jpg">

No bounce, no play.

HetBix

Quote from: InciteAttempted KSing is common and rolling into other people's camps is common as well.  This is 99% not malicious but simply people not having the kind of etiquette that we have developed in EQ and I'm sure it will change.

I'm with you on the unintentional KSing, but on my server at least, I don't think that the lack of camps is going away anytime soon.  Anytime someone says that word in /General, it seems like the universal response is ten people saying "THIS ISN'T EQ!" :)

On topic: Any game that can send me on a delivery quest and keep me  right-click reading the correspondence while I run is doing OK in my book.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=771398">Hetfield
Retired Savage Lord of the Tribunal
Mithaniel Marr

Milflet
Gnomish Warrior Princess
http://www.returnersguild.com">The Returners
Stormrage

Shille

I played WoW in the open beta, and it has got a LOT going for it. Most aspects of the game are an improvement to EQ, and the lack of bugs is refreshing.

I noticed right from the beginning, however, that leveling was way too fast. The first four levels can be done in an hour, or less if you are not a complete noob to the game, and the progression does not slow till level 20. I did not get past 21, but the leveling was still very fast. I do not think leveling should be tedious, but if you can level that fast, what happens when the majority of your player base has reached level 60 in 4 months? One of the things that created the "community" in EQ was the fact that leveling to max level (60) was an immensily difficult and time consuming thing. It took a lot of working together, and time, to do. In that time, you developed friends, loyalties, habits and became a part of the game. These things take time, and effort.

You truly value the things you have had to work for and accomplish with great effort. I think WoW and most of the online games are making a mistake in letting people reach max level without a great amount of time an effort. Making it easy devalues the accomplishment.

Will those of you who reached level 60 prior to Kunark ever really think reaching 60 in WoW is just as big a thing?

I don't think so. 

Oneiromancer

I have the same concern...and I know others do too.  It seems that Blizzard intends for the level 60 game to be a PvP one.  That doesn't interest me at all, really.  I think that in WoW I will be an "alt-o-holic"...because the starting areas are so wonderfully detailed and different, it really seems to me to be rewarding to have one character of every race at least (well, might not have to do both Dwarves and Gnomes, or Orcs and Trolls).  And the classes seem pretty distinguished as well...I am definitely interested in playing Hunter (of course!), Warlock, Druid, and Shaman, and probably Mage as well.  Not sure about the others yet.

In this way WoW has much more replayability than EQ2 does in my opinion.  And more than EQ1 currently (in races, not classes), due to the ease of travel.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Incite

Quote from: Shille on December 16, 2004, 07:55:40 PM
You truly value the things you have had to work for and accomplish with great effort. I think WoW and most of the online games are making a mistake in letting people reach max level without a great amount of time an effort. Making it easy devalues the accomplishment.

Will those of you who reached level 60 prior to Kunark ever really think reaching 60 in WoW is just as big a thing?

I don't think so. 

That's fine ... if you want to sink that much time into a game then that is your choice and there are plenty of games out there which allow you to do that.  I'm glad that a decent game that does not demand the timesink that EQ does is on the market.

No bounce, no play.

Koullyn

There was no level 60 pre-Kunark, it came with the release of Kunark. As for the leveling comments you can level as fast or slow as you want. For those not interested in seeing anything in the game, working on tradeskills or doing quests sure you could grind your weay to 60 fast. It is the same in EQ and EQ2 on that aspect. For the normal person though leveling takes a LOT of work. With 3.5 days played I am lvl 27.  That is working pretty hard to get there also. I have done almost ALL of it in quests.

-- Retired Level 70 Beastlord --
http://www.wowgamers.com
http://www.wwm.net

ghostryder

Leveling really slows after 20, and gets real slow the closer to 30 you get.

As mentioned, unlike EQ, you get sidetracked by a lot of things other than the grind. Quests, especially those involving dungeons and Elite mobs, can be quit involved, especially attempting them solo. Here, you got to be careful with you tactics to single pull - and I've found it's pretty balanced in the tactics department.

I went back and paid the gold to retrain my aspects for a beefier pet to handle such encounters.

I've yet had a problem with a camp- in fact last night I snuck into the Horde lands and found it pretty barren of other players-all the way down to the land of a thousand needles where I then gated out as the mobs levels were much higher.

I don't know how level 60 will play out. Expansions are planned of course, and I'm unsure if I'll take to PvP combat as it's been pretty dissapointing in any game implimenting it, but I doubt that will be the only option. This isn't DOAC.

I intend to bring a druid and wizzard up through the ranks as alts as well, so I don't find me running out of things to do for a long time to come.

It is certainly worth a try as your get your money's worth.

Skanda

Quote from: Kaspi on December 17, 2004, 02:37:53 AM
There was no level 60 pre-Kunark, it came with the release of Kunark. As for the leveling comments you can level as fast or slow as you want. For those not interested in seeing anything in the game, working on tradeskills or doing quests sure you could grind your weay to 60 fast. It is the same in EQ and EQ2 on that aspect. For the normal person though leveling takes a LOT of work. With 3.5 days played I am lvl 27.  That is working pretty hard to get there also. I have done almost ALL of it in quests.

On that note.....Ding 60 and yes I'm also a Master Leatherworker(272)/Skinner(300). I also did a ton of quests since that is a totally viable way of leveling up.

Khayden

Quote from: Skanda on December 17, 2004, 11:03:29 PM
Quote from: Kaspi on December 17, 2004, 02:37:53 AM

On that note.....Ding 60 and yes I'm also a Master Leatherworker(272)/Skinner(300). I also did a ton of quests since that is a totally viable way of leveling up.

Serious questions cos I'm thinking of giving it a go next year when it's out in Europe.  How long /played did that take?  And what is there to do now?  Are they really aiming for PvP to be the end game content?

Interesting to note that you maxed about a week after the first person on EQ2 hit 50, with no tradeskills.

Khayden
Khayden
75 Barbarian Wildcaller of Mithaniel Marr
Bertoxxulous

Skanda

That took me about 13 days of /played time. As for what there is to do now;
A) Finish maxing my tradeskills which requires farming leather
B) Instance zones to gear myself up so that I am ready to to raid. I really doubt people will be strong enough to raid without this step.
C) Help the rest of my guild so they can catch up so we can get raiding sooner

Once they release battlegrounds (which they just previewed and they look great) and once my guild catches up to me there will be PvPing and raiding added to that list.