Main Menu

EQ / WoW discussion (Formerly known as the now infamous EQ is dead)

Started by Dorrogtr T`A, December 04, 2004, 06:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorrogtr T`A

/nod my guild leader hasnt logged on in 1 week, and we haven't raided in a week. An elemental guild that used to have around 60 per raid has like 8 people during peak hours. And my old guild that was doing VT stuff disbanded, guild leader + officers left for WoW.  :cry:

Koullyn

All servers are suffering from EQ2 and WoW losses. SoE will be forced to combine servers soon, HAHA. I am evil and it is really nice watching them lose money to Blizzard.
-- Retired Level 70 Beastlord --
http://www.wowgamers.com
http://www.wwm.net

cougerofeq

Heard CoS folded on Tarew Marr and our guild is suffering for numbers. I broke down and did what I had not planned to do - bought WOW.  My intention was to continue to play EQ1 only, but so many in the guild raved about it.  After 4 days I have a lvl 21 hunter(bst) and am having a blast. I dont know if I have given up on EQ1 yet, will see how the end game goes in WOW.

Whats great is you can solo all you want and if you have taunt on your pet it can hold agro while your in range. It seems to have so much of what we asked for here.

Of the 4 BST in the guild, one went to EQ2 and the other 3 to WOW at least for now(we know why). Not sure who is coming back and who is gone for good.

The lack of progression in omens with poor AAs and spells that really didnt add much, seems to have been a bad decision... Guess Sony doesnt care anymore?

Tastian

"SoE will be forced to combine servers soon"

Sony still has no plans to merge servers last I heard, not even pvp ones.  

I do know a lot of guilds that have folded/merged.  Also know a lot of people that left.  Seems like most that I know left were higher end.  For the time I play I'd say I know a fair number of lower level people and most of them are still planning EQ.  Most of the problems with EQ are at the higher end (dps issue, zones, etc).  I know some people in their 50's that are just now getting near great points in the game.  *shrugs*

I think the mass of people leaving or simply not playing atm though has a big effect on norrath and I'm curious to see how that plays out.  I know LDoNs are pretty much dead on most servers I've seen.  Bazaars went from people paying for a spot to being in the 2-300 range.  Economy seems so fubar atm, but who knows what will happen.

Koullyn

Like I said, they will be forced to merge servers. SoE has never in 5 years been honest about its intentions so I doubt they would give us much information about their plans.  The CS in EQ has continually gone downhill in the past months and now with all servers suffering from a lack of players they will have to do something to make EQ survive. More and more people leave because their guilds have died due to lack of population.

Tastian

Yeah it's the compounding issue that I'm curious to see how it goes.  I know many that left because say the highend is fubar or they are bored or hate sony or whatever.  I know others that left because their RL friends left.  I know whole guilds that have folded because they lost a dozen plus members all because a group or family moved onto a different game.  Suddenly even people that are ok with EQ as a game are having guild issues, grouping issues, etc.  The economy has been fubar for awhile imo, and I'm actually curious to see what happens as the server populations have dropped.  If "casual" players will have a harder time finding certain items.  If maybe lower end guilds will form up and start going after things that they wouldn't have before.  *shrugs*

Sardarni

My bigest problem playing EQ is getting KEI and pet toys, I don't mind going solo, but it's easier with pet toys and KEI.

Strigori

Time will tell, just because people havnt been on in a week, doesnt mean they wont come back in a month.  The simple fact that in 4 days couger has a lv 21 of 60 levels leads me to belive that people are going to hit the "end" of the game too fast and lose intrest(not everyone will do several charaters).   People complain about slow leveling, but rapid leveling like many of the new MMORPGs are doing is a quick way to lose you base too fast.  CoH had the same thing, faster levels, and when after the first couple months people played through all the content, they got bored.  It pulled signifigant numbers of people at luanch also.  Some in my guild who have tried other games, are comming back after acouple weeks because they got bored with it.

The drop of many players at high end right now has less to do with other games, and more to do with the fact that  a great deal of the players leaving have played through almost all the content in the game.  The set up of omens didnt help any, only 1 locked zone got people into and through all the high end oow content too fast.  As annoying as flags are and have been, they did slow down progression.  Locked zones also had the effect of a status effect that is lost in oow,  and the fact that a bazaar geared person is in the same places as a time geared for xp/aaxp is offensive to some.  

EQ however is not dead.  And any talk of server merging is just that, talk.   They wont even think about it till a number of things happen,  holidays end(they DO have an effect on server population afterall),  subscrptions expire(just because someone hasnt been on in a week or two weeks, their accounts have not expired yet, and im sure in many cases are not cancelled yet either), and sever population stays low for several months continuously, and the accounts dwindle.  

Before people declare EQ dead, make sure the "eq killers" have more staying power than a month or two.
Wildcaller Strigori
  70 Wildblood
  Officer of
  Fellowship of Dragons
  Ayonae Ro

Dorrogtr T`A

Trust me, EQ is dead.  :)

Shirrkarn Ayge

OK then quit posting on an EQ forum
SavageSpirit Shirrkarn Ayge - Bertoxx

Clerbot Corenna Shirrez

Koullyn

WoW isn't extremely fast on leveling, one guy does not set the bar. The early levels go fast, but you have to work to keep going. I think it is much easier to level the first 40 levels of EQ than it has been the first 20 levels of WoW.

Strigori

first 40 levels of eq now maybe, but i rather doubt the first 40 levels of eq in 99, before levels 65 and 70, and pre-AA.   Very big difference between now and even 2 years agro and the leveling speed in eq.   The differnce there is that EQ has so massivly much more content and as the focus is more on AA now than levels.   I wont belive the "eq killer" thing till after it happens. a slump now(durring the holiday season no less, always a slump of players this time of year) may not be representitive of how things will be in a month or three months down the road.
Wildcaller Strigori
  70 Wildblood
  Officer of
  Fellowship of Dragons
  Ayonae Ro

Koullyn

This time of year is when there are usually more people logged on, the summer time is the slump time of EQ in my past 4 years of playing. Think back of leveling your second character to 40 even before Luclin, it was much easier because you knew how to play the game. Just about any MMO that comes out people will level fast because they are mainsteam and there aren't thousands and thousands of newbies to the games. You have people that are used to gaming and determined to level. I levled faster in EQ2 beta than I have in WoW due to the fact the quests are better in WoW and I spend more time doing those instead of grinding.

Dumpty

QuoteThis time of year is when there are usually more people logged on, the summer time is the slump time of EQ in my past 4 years of playing.
It's exactly opposite. I've seen it every year in the various guilds and general populous.
Dumpty <Old Continent>
Wildblood of Xev

Dummkopf

Aye, winter was always better for most guilds than summertime, but at the moment its just depressing. I log in about once or twice a week now since we do not raid, raidleaders basicly left eq etc.

One thing why SoE dont see a reason is the station gamepass, lots of ppl i know got that and theire eq1 chars dont die that way, the account is still active although they dont play anymore. Thing is that leads to incorrect numbers for serverpopulation since the active population (those still playing) is way lower now but the subscriber numbers are not as low (yet).