Main Menu

EQ / WoW discussion (Formerly known as the now infamous EQ is dead)

Started by Dorrogtr T`A, December 04, 2004, 06:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tastian

I never bought into the "EQ killer" thing.  My personal belief and findings over the years are that the biggest killer of eq has been EQ.  Whether some people just burnout, get fedup with bugs, get wrongly banned/warned, etc.  There are a ton of people I know playing wow and eq2 and other games, but that's happend a lot over the years.  I've seen people leave for daoc, coh, etc.  I do think wow is doing very well atm, but I don't consider it an eq killer.

However, people talking like server pops aren't down I just don't understand.  I've played eq since beta and seen the rise and fall of various guilds, of various servers, of slumps and everything else.  A few months ago people were paying pp to get a spot in the bazaar, now I never see 300+ people in it.  The other day I thought the bazaar had crashed because there were only 170 people there, but it just stayed at that number for hours.  I've seen the very highest end guilds leave this game.  Guilds that were around forever just up and left.  They didn't disband, they didn't have guild fighting or anything else they just were sick of god or of eq or whatever and most retired/moved on.  I've seen multiple time and ele guilds collapse due to pulling 20(ish) people a night.  I've seen guild mergers and tons of other things.  Right now I know people with active accounts that aren't playing nearly as much, or just haven't offically canceled their account yet.  Heck, we've had 3?(ish) corr's quit the game in the past month or so.   Some guilds are moving servers due to lack of members/viable recruits.  Just lots of things that very seldom happend before or happend to this degree in EQs past.  

I'm not saying EQ is dead because I honestly don't think it is.  However, I really don't understand people that talk like nothing has changed.  *shrugs*  We'll have to see what happens.

Koullyn

Yea it is sad when you log on to some servers these days. On Quellious the top guild was pushing 60+ every single night of the week and now they are happy to see 20. The only guild really raiding is one that merged 1-2 other guilds so they could continue. There are enough diehard EQ fans that won't quit unless they have to. SoE would have to close the game down to get rid of them so I don't know that we will ever really see an "EQ Killer" as Tast said. I could see EQ being merged down to 5-10 servers from the 60+ it has now though. As long as they are making some kind of cash they will try to keep EQ running. When it becomes un profitable they will try and force everyone to go to EQ2 with incentives most likely.
-- Retired Level 70 Beastlord --
http://www.wowgamers.com
http://www.wwm.net

Dumpty

Dumpty <Old Continent>
Wildblood of Xev

Koullyn

Sorry you are right, 51 servers listed on their pages. I was thinking and a possible EQ killer might be what the boys over at Sigil come up with. If and when they get their next MMO out it could definately have potential, you know they will use the great ideas they had plus the new technologies to create something awesome.
-- Retired Level 70 Beastlord --
http://www.wowgamers.com
http://www.wwm.net

Tastian

Not quite 60, but it's a large number and some of them are definitely hurting more than others.  I've heard lots of pvp server people talking about the lack of pvp latly.  I know of some guilds that used to raid qvic+, that are now backflagging in planes again.  I think these are just some of the ripples of certain people leaving that will make the game less attractive to others that even though they themselves might not want to leave they don't enjoy playing as much as they did.

Like I said I don't think EQ is dead by any means, although I do think it took a much bigger hit than many are admitting.  However, what really interests me isn't how many left directly for wow or for EQ2, but rather how many people are going to leave EQ because the economy is crap, they can't find enough pvp, they can't get groups, or their guild crumbled around them for instance.  I know of literally dozens of people that have left EQ not because they were unhappy with their class or with the game, but because their GF or BF or son or daughter or whoever quit and went to another game.

Latang

We had 54 people for mpg trial raids last night. EQ isn't dead, just some guilds.

Train Engineer, Chief Hermit of <Mystic Nobles>

cougerofeq

Made lvl 22 tonight - it is slowing down and I have been playing a lot.  The reason its so fast at first is you can solo all you want and quests give good items and good experiance.

We have 26 guild members from EQ1 , some who had already left but most were/are active in EQ1. There is also a EQ2 Guild set up with right many players so it has hurt our EQ1 guild much.  I dont know if we got the numbers for time this week or not as I was not feeling good, so played WOW for a few hours versus raiding till 5 am in time.

I had no intention in trying WOW as I did not want to lose my toons who I had built from beta 3. But the sad state of my lvl70 BST(and no response from sony) and the lack of a raid force pushed me to try and I like it.

I dont know if the upper end of WOW will be good, but some of the quests are pretty complex and I flew over some of the higher zone in one of the mass transit birds and the drakes and the zone they were in looked cool.  Not seen a dragon yet.

I went to a zone today where its dusk all the time - the lighting transition as I enterend the zone was really erie.  I am really impressed with the details in the game. I hope the high end is just as much fun. We will see.  I still have my EQ1 account for now and even if i were to cancel it - you can reactive it later if you want.  So far they have not deleted any accts as far as I know.

I still check here to see if the BSTs are gonna get a leg up - but it may be too late for me...

Dumpty

I want really disputing the fact of wether or not it was 60, i was just surpriserd it was near that figure. I never really noticed before.  imo eq would be fine atm around 30.
Dumpty <Old Continent>
Wildblood of Xev

Jzath

Dead?  No.  Taken a serious hit for several reasons?  Yes, definitely.  Will it last?  By the end of January I think will be the telling signs if there will be a rebound or not.

I know of one person that has tried EQ2 and cancelled, plays around in WoW when the 4 of us cannot group.

I have seen a few people brand new, true newbies on the FV server.

I love the fact EQ is fluid.  It is both good and bad.  I personally have not found the bad I encounter to sour the good I find.  Yet, I find the exodus to be a windfall for me.  I wish I few more would leave that would hand me their gear *evil grin*

I am glad people are enjoying EQ2 or WoW.  Enjoy it.  I think competition is the best thing for any product.
Jzath, beastlord
70 bloodmoons
FV server
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1215044

Oneiromancer

Kane Bayle is pretty deserted.  Two Time-level guilds left, and the Euro-time one is having population issues.  So many guilds have folded in the last month or so it's not even funny.  My guild, which is casual, has also been hit hard because so many of us went to EQ2.  I haven't cancelled my EQ account yet but when I get WoW I will be...I'm not going to pay for three games at once.

I don't want to give up on EQ forever...it was a great experience.  If EQ2 and WoW can't hold my attention over the long run, I definitely plan on returning to EQ.  But for now I want to try something different.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Gotog Ironskull

EQ Dead OMG I better tell the 70+ members of my guild that are on every nite.  

EQ2 is Nice but few friends I have that whent there are returning.  Same with WoW.  There nice to mess around with.  been hearing about ppl who got rid of accounts now bitching and crying about trying to get them back.
This is on fennin ro thoe might very well be diffrent on other servers.

I know that on Fennin Ro there are still 3 guilds Farming Time.  Still a pain getting a good weekend day/nite raid going.
Gotog IronSkull
70 Oger Beastlord
Me Droppings

Nanndas

Quote from: OneiromancerI don't want to give up on EQ forever...it was a great experience.  If EQ2 and WoW can't hold my attention over the long run, I definitely plan on returning to EQ.  But for now I want to try something different.

I also can't afford to pay for 2 accounts, So EQ will be on hold for a while. On Friday night, my son who has a 68 Bard, walked in with WoW. He understands that it's one or the other. So we will group together soon and give it a good shot. He, like me really likes the quest system. I can see as we get higher, grouping will have to be the way to go.

The game has some very good points. I play a Night Elf Hunter. When my pet growls (taunts) he gets the mob. I don't get pounded on even though I'm beating on it. Quest system is great. Loading the game is a real pleasure. Tradeskills are super. I can make stuff better than dropped. Skill ups come fairly rapidly. I don't need to cast a spell 300+ times to get one skillup.

Had a suprise last night. I tracked a Moonstalker matriach (sp). I also saw a Moonstalker runt on track. I set my trap and pulled the Matriach over it. I got the surprise of my short WoW life. The runt was the Matriach's pet. And a level 16 at that. Not like the pets we see in EQ. So at level 18 I was fighting 2 mobs, a level 19 and 16. We made it through, but by the skin of our teeth.

Nan
Nanndas - 56 Animist - Drinal Server

Baking - GM + Trophy
Brewing 200
Pottery 179
Smithing 122
Tailoring 115
Jewelcraft 188

Kashmiir Battlekat

I have not yet seen any returns from EQ2 or WoW.

I think the 50% of everyone who left for EQ2/WoW will stay there. I think the other 50% will either retire from MMORPG or return to EQ1. I'd guess 1/4 of all who left will return within 6 months. Just my guess.

EQ1 is far from 'dead'. We had around 110 actively raiding guild members. The lowest number we have in our active raider database was 64. So I would say we lost about 40% of our active raiders. We have replaced most and are back up to a solid 78 active raiders and perhaps that number will increase.

We are back in business with severe backflagging having happened. w00t!

Choppin

read somewhere that veeshan was an overpopulated server anyway, I think the effect is much more noticeable on less crowded servers (and now void)
Choppin Lethal
Feral Lord

Incite

QuoteHeard CoS folded on Tarew Marr

Good.
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=993776">http://www.border.plus.com/images/Incite1.jpg">

No bounce, no play.