Main Menu

EQ / WoW discussion (Formerly known as the now infamous EQ is dead)

Started by Dorrogtr T`A, December 04, 2004, 06:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aneya

WoW is not my cup of tea, plain and simple. I much prefer EQ2. As much as people would like to say EQLive is dead, it is not.
EQ Aneya 70 Beastlord Tarew Marr
EQ2 Evalin Swashbuckler Mistmoore

Jkal_Shihar

Well came back to EQLive just recently and I'll have to say its not dead but it has slow downed a bit.
I agree with Aneya, not a fan of blizzard and dont much care for WoW. I do prefer EQ2 though.  I got back in my old guild on eqlive though and there pretty strong considering we are a family guild of casual gamers with a few hard core players in the mix.
A few of my friends that stuck around told me who merged, who disbanded and who's still around. Of course its disheartening to run into the bazaar and seeing on average 275 traders when 7mos ago it was always capped at 500+.
Animist Jkal Shi`har and tigger
Arch Animist of the Tribunal Server
My Magelo
*still my main since dec. 2001*

Kashmiir Battlekat

EQ1 is not going anywhere. Its a great game. I had an incredible 5.5 years in the game. Is the game 'dead'? Comparatively speaking the answer is an overwhelming "yes".

Ill bet more people no longer play then those who actually do play.

You will not find me bashing on EQ1. There is nothing to 'bash'. It was a revolutionary game for its time which truely set the standard by which all other MMOPRG's use as there back drop.

Blizzard themselves have stated that WoW is not revolutionary. They took all of things that irritated players of 'other' (READ: EQ1) MMORPG's and removed them. They then took all of things 'other' (READ: EQ1) MMORPG's did RIGHT and incorperated them in to WoW.

WoW is Everquest1 with all of the bullshit removed. Its really as simple as that. If you start playing WoW thinking something 'new' or 'revolutionary' is going to happen Ill tell you now its not there. The game is just simply more 'friendly' to Hardcore players and Casual players alike. I highly recommend it to everyone especially fi you are somewhat disenchanted with Everquest. If so, you will simply LOVE WoW. I promise you that much.

Dummkopf

QuoteBe preparef for downtime. Having the following 3 day after release at work may be a blessing in disguise

You're prolly right, the demand is that high that they have to take down the account creation page because it was overloaded, well, guess i have to wait a couple days to get my account created now .)

Oh, and servers already have up to 120 minutes login queue, fun fun fun.

Just hope i can patch my (german) client to english, it sucks to play in a non-english client.

Khayden

My guild was raiding the EPs when WoW and EQ2 came out.  We dropped from 60 people on both weekend raids to about 35-40.  1 guild on bertox has moved to WoW, one has lost the majority of it's raiders and formed an alliance, one has stopped raiding and another who had just made the EPs has folded.  It was looking pretty bleak.

However there are still 5 guilds in front of us in the content all raiding full time with enough numbers to do everything from time through to anguish.  And while our numbers dropped we found we could still kill everything we had before so we carried on... we ended up with a core raid force that was extremely well geared (ie 5 tanks near 13khp).

Now we've seen the first wave of about 10 people return from EQ2 (mostly saying it had no feeling to it and they got bored) and from WoW (mostly saying that they got bored after they maxed), we've also recruited some of our friends in guilds that have folded or gone inactive and our raid numbers went right back up.  I don't think these two games will have any greater effect than DAOC or SWG did in the end, I see more new players now than I did this time last year.  In January we beat TRC at the first attempt, Coirnav at the third and Xegony at the second and we're now time flagged.

I'm having more fun now than I ever have playing EQ, it is a million miles from dead for me.

Khayden
Khayden
75 Barbarian Wildcaller of Mithaniel Marr
Bertoxxulous

Oneiromancer

Quote from: Khayden on February 13, 2005, 01:49:08 PMNow we've seen the first wave of about 10 people return from EQ2 (mostly saying it had no feeling to it and they got bored) and from WoW (mostly saying that they got bored after they maxed), we've also recruited some of our friends in guilds that have folded or gone inactive and our raid numbers went right back up.  I don't think these two games will have any greater effect than DAOC or SWG did in the end, I see more new players now than I did this time last year.

In my opinion, it's the high end raiders who are most likely to come back from WoW to EQ.  They are the ones who have tons of time to max their characters and get bored with the content.  The more casual players who are leaving EQ (almost my entire guild went to EQ2 or WoW) will be progressing at a much more reasonable pace, and be less likely to return.  I personally do have a level 41 character...but I also have 4 alts between 10 and 17 that I will be playing.

I'm certainly infinitely more likely to return to EQ than EQ2, but either way it's a long time in the future as I take my time exploring and enjoying a new world.  The lack of raid content doesn't bother me one bit.  :)

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Mahes

The two games destroyed my guild, which was #2 and doing Ink at the time.  We disbanded shortly after both releases and it was pretty rough.

However, about a dozen of us found a home in the top guild on the server, and we haven't had this much fun in EQ in a loooong time.  They too were hard hit and semi-stalled out on MPG trials and Tacvi north at the time.  Now, together, we just killed Arch Magus in Anguish last night.  We've rebuilt, we're a full raiding guild that's active in off-raid times as well, and we're having fun.

I loved my old guild to death and they were like family, but I'm glad WoW tore it down.  Not everyone is happy in EQ and now those that were can log on any given night to a full guild of people who still love the game.

On a side note, we've gotten a few WoW players back, but I think we've seen more EQ2 ones returning.  I'll admit WoW is attractive for casual players and such, but for true end-game players, it's not cutting it right now.

Cyphen Wilder

The guild I am in on BB happens to be one of the oldest guilds there and we had a ton of people stay after the release of the two games.  Whats more is that they allied with another guild on the BB server, and in the time that the server populations plummeted, we pretty much flagged two whole guild for elementals and are knocking on Time's door now.  So you two bring up a good point where casual gamers may stick with WoW, their are still alot of people in EQ that are still loving the game and just now gettting into the end game.  Our two guilds have merged for ease of raiding, and are looking to be fully in Time in about a month or so I am thinking, and plans are already undeway to begin doing GoD after.  Anyone think with the reviews of DoN and whats seems an attitude shift on the part of SOE after seeing the success of WoW, that we are gonna see some influx of our old EQ player base from WoW and EQ2?

Oneiromancer

Quote from: Cyphen Wilder on February 14, 2005, 06:01:31 PM
Anyone think with the reviews of DoN and whats seems an attitude shift on the part of SOE after seeing the success of WoW, that we are gonna see some influx of our old EQ player base from WoW and EQ2?

DoN sounds pretty cool, and if I were still playing EQ I'd probably be excited about it.  It's not something to get me back in the game though.

One thing that I do think about, though, is that the gameplay aspects I love in WoW could conceivably work beautifully in EQ.  The task system in EQ was a decent start...if that were revamped to actually have meaningful rewards, or even have a point/shard system like LDoN/DoN, and have something for every zone...it would really spark my interest.  I love that every single outdoor zone in WoW (besides the ones blatantly belonging to the other side) has something for me to do...tons of quests, and usually a home base to relax in.  Having an actual incentive to visit the different and varied zones in EQ would do a lot to bring me back.  Too many of them were built around the camp and grind aspect of the game...I think there are better ways to revitalize them for today's gamers than to revamp them to level 65+ zones.

I'm speaking from a more solo/duo standpoint than I used to have though.  In WoW I have a game where I am not greatly penalized for being an extrovert and I love it.  :)

And oh yes, if EQ2 decides to add a Beastlord class in an expansion, I will most definitely be trying it again.  I simply won't be able to resist.

Game on,

Shirrkarn Ayge

Gratz GH on getting to Time..I know its been a long ride but you guys deserve it  :-D
SavageSpirit Shirrkarn Ayge - Bertoxx

Clerbot Corenna Shirrez

Khayden

Quote from: Shirrkarn Ayge on February 15, 2005, 12:28:41 PM
Gratz GH on getting to Time..I know its been a long ride but you guys deserve it  :-D
Thanks Shirr :D  We're enjoying it but we were starting to get bored of the EPs so I'm glad we pushed on.

I agree with Oneiromancer, I think players who come back to EQ from WoW will mainly be the ones with very high playtimes who get bored in the endgame and decide the frustration of raiding GoD might not be quite as bad now as it was before.   If a player with less playtime gets bored with WoW they might flirt with EQ again but the extra levels, spells and gear since then would be fairly overwhelming and I think they would be more likely to go play a different game altogether in the end.

Khayden
Khayden
75 Barbarian Wildcaller of Mithaniel Marr
Bertoxxulous

Kashmiir Battlekat

Still playing WoW and loving it :)

WoW has its end-game issues such as any of the MMORPG's have had, but Blizzard has acknowledged much of the issues and are working to repair the bugs and revisit the loot drops in the end-game zones.

I really doubt I will ever return to EQ1. It would be like owning a Ferrari, selling it and driving a Honda Accord. Sure its a nice car, but when compared to the previous vehicle its a piece of crap --hehe

Dummkopf

Well, i was playing the highest end in EQ back at the time, we were nr 3 guild into anguish and pretty much folded after eq2 and wow release.

I enjoy WoW a lot now, finally in a released version after playing different beta versions for several months now. There might be something about me playing way more casually (only around 40 hours, nearly nothing, a week) and just enjoying the great immersion into this game, the different storylines, chain-quests etc. I wont race to 60 this time to enjoy everything on the way and then try to get into raiding again. By the time i'm 60 there will be battlefields and more raid instances around creating a bigger endgame as there is already.

Just got an offer to join another highend eq1 guild and i dont really think about it, im too tired of the way i would have to play EQ, WoW is way more relaxing and i enjoy that.

Zatrik

It's pretty slow on my server, but it's always been that way.  I laughed at the guy that said there's an average of 275 traders in his bazaar now.  On my server, I haven't checked, but I'd be shocked if there were more than 20, I'd be surprised if we had more than a hundred active players.  Everyone is pretty much merging into one of two guilds, there's no server drama to speak of anymore.  I tried WoW and didn't like it, I didn't make it to the endgame to find out.  I made it to about 33 and got bored, I think it's more of a problem with mmorpgs than WoW in general.  It's funny, I can run through every zone in Velious, Kunark, or the old world, and never see a soul on my server, but the community is still more vibrant than WoW's.  EQ scales well at low populations, more than most realize so I don't think it's as dire as people make it out to be.  It's hard to find a group, but as for a player economy, well I never cared about that anyway.
65 Beastlord of Al'Kabor
Visit our little Mac server at eqmac.com or if you have a Mac download the client and get a free cd key here.

Oneiromancer

Which EQ server are you on?  Kane Bayle?  I can't imagine any other server having so few people in the bazaar...unless it's the Mac server...

Game on,