Main Menu

EQ / WoW discussion (Formerly known as the now infamous EQ is dead)

Started by Dorrogtr T`A, December 04, 2004, 06:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kashmiir Battlekat

AHHHH! I didnt realize hes on a PvP Server. My bad. Ima newb :)

Well, I suppose there does need to be honor among thieves on a PvP Server. I can understand that.

danaconda

Yeah a PvP server is kinda rough. I haven't played on a PvE server at all, so I dont know what you have to deal with. I'm assuming you dont ever have to pvp unless you throw the flag on. I kinda like getting ganked. There's really no big penalty for dieing, and most graveyards are close enough that you're up and fighting within 1 minute anyways.

Last night was my most fun night so far. Man I must've died like 15 times, but I got a few kills in. Been playing my warlock and grouping with my brother, a 20 hunter. We went into Stonetalon Mts (contested territory, means everyone is pvp enabled) last night to hunt. Had a good time, ran past a few Alliance that were 50+ and they left us alone (thanks guys!). I got a quest in some retreat (can't remember the name) and when I returned to complete it, the whole friggin fort was getting slaughtered by a small group of alliance members! Pretty sure they were all 55+. My brother tells me to run..... but of course I wanna watch! They noticed us and decided to make us pay for our "intrusion" I guess...... didn't realize you could die that quickly.  :-o

Found a lvl 20 night elf hunter after we got our bodies so we decided that payback would be taken upon that poor fellow. We chased him down into Windshear Crag.... I feel so bad for my poor brother.... he sucks at pvp (this is his first mmorpg and his talent points are spread all over the place). He got killed by the hunter, but I dropped him after that. I had him all dotted up and feared off his pet! Was a great time! He returned later and jumped us after we rezzed in and killed us both. We returned the favor, and got it returned to us again! He left after a little while, and some 35 warlock happened across our paths.... dead. Then another hunter, 35+ this time, found us a little farther down the path. Man we couldn't stop dieing! I think I spent more time as a ghost in stonetalon then in regular form!  :-D

That's what I hope a typical night will be like from now on! NPC's don't offer up any challenges, so I want human opponents. This game isn't a big grief-fest even though I thought it would be. I'm glad my friend convinced me to join on a pvp server.... not nearly as frustrating as EQ was. Oh yeah, and when we returned to the crossroads last night, there was a huge raid on it..... about 10 or so lvl 55+ Alliance were killing everything..... mass amounts of low levels were suiciding against them! That's interactive content for ya!

So if you didn't think playing on a PvP server would be fun (because of all the "bnet kiddies") then think a little harder about it. Sure there's plenty of jerks.... but /ignore works wonders, and most of them are usually PL'd to 60, so you dont really see too many. They get bored fast. Plus, you can stay in "horde territory" and you can't be pvp'd.... so you can safely level up to a certain point. This isn't EQ, there's no rush to 60 here. Kinda funny though that most people outlevel an area THEN come back for pvp when they know their opponents will be 10+ levels lower than them. /shrug
Dedlee Beatdown retired
Troll Beastlord of Lanys T'Vyl
(moved onto WoW - Mannoroth server, same name)

Kashmiir Battlekat

PvE Server is thus:

You are not flagged PvP unless you...

a) Turn on PvP Manually by typing "/pvp"
b) Attack a PvP Enabled NPC
c) Attack a PvP Enabled PC

=============================

For me sometimes I hunt for Alliance by 'camping' PvP Enabvled Horde NPC's that I know will be attacked.

Example: The Great Lift - There are 2 Horde Guards there of mid-llevel (30's) and they block the way to the Lift itself. I know that Alliance pass through there and either run past them (PvP Disabled) or occasionally they attack them (PvP Enabled).

Just north of the Great Lift is a tree with bushes surrounding it.

I /sit inside these bushes in third person view with my pet not called. I also have my Aspect up that keeps me off of tracking.

I lay in wait... patient... knowing it is only a matter of time....

Imagine the surprise of a level 40 Alliance who just engaged a Guard when a gigantic bellowing Cow Man with pointy horns comes charging out of the bushes blasting away with a large bore cannon and a cat with big claws on there back before they know what is happening....

BLAM! Dead :)

Soooo funny to see the shock... you can see how flustered they are just in there movements. They are not sure what is happenin until its simply too late....

danaconda

Friend of mine does something similar. Not on purpose, mind you, but similar nonetheless. I think the instance is RFK? or something close.... its located very close to the thousand needles (which is I think the area you are talking about) which is contested territory. Since RFK is still in "horde" territory he isn't pvp flagged.... but any alliance that cross over are!  :evil:

He told me of one time the other day a higher lvl alliance guy accidentally walked within their view..... SPLAT as all 5 of the guys sitting there ready to enter the instance converged on him at once!  :-D
Dedlee Beatdown retired
Troll Beastlord of Lanys T'Vyl
(moved onto WoW - Mannoroth server, same name)

Oneiromancer

You must be talking about Razorfen Kraul.  There's also Razorfen Downs nearby...one is higher level than the other, I can't keep them straight.  They're both in the Barrens, right next to the Thousand Needles lifts.  Actually, there's also a back entrance to the higher level one you can get to by going up on the mesas where the "bad" Tauren are.

There's also Ragefire Chasm inside Orgrimmar, which is what I thought you were talking about at first...it's usually abbreviated as "RFC".  I remember one night some Alliance used that instance as a free escape...he'd zone into there to heal up and then come back out again.  I think he was a rogue so you couldn't even tell when he came back out.

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Cyphen Wilder

So I went out and bought this damn game last night :x :lol:  It is pretty nice I have to say.  I am still trying to get used to all this cartoon crap, but other then that I like the seemless environment.  The quest system is pretty cool as well, but at my level it seems like that is the only damn thing to do.  I grinded out my hunter to 11 last night after I bought the game just by loading up on quests and running around collecting stuff from mobs or killng x mobs.  Also, pretty lost on the armor.  Not sure what I am trying to get ahold of as far as upgrades or am I supposed to make my own, etc, etc.   But overall a fun game.  Will still be playing both EQ and WoW.  EQ for the raid content, and WoW for ?

Oneiromancer

When you get to some of the later zones, I hope you'll be amazed at the artistic beauty of the environments.  The characters may be cartoony, but the zones are not (in my opinion).  Just wait till you take a griffon ride across the entire continent without zoning as well.  :D

As for armor choices, at low levels you pretty much take what you can get.  Quests will fill up your slots better than buying stuff.  Eventually the quests become more weighted towards just giving you money instead of armor or weapons, and you upgrade your items from random drops (most green items drop randomly from any mob in a zone) or buying from other people or the Auction House.  Most Hunters focus on their ranged dps exclusively, and so try to get as much Agility as possible on their armor, which is probably the best advice.  If you don't melee you don't really need Strength, and if your pet is tanking for you then you don't really need Stamina.  Some Hunters like Intellect for extra mana (more special attacks), or even Spirit for better mana regeneration, although Spirit really doesn't give the bonuses it should yet (but they are looking at improving it).

Game on,
EQ: Predator Jaede Antemanx -- 68 Vah Shir Beastlord on Kane Bayle, Retired
EQ2: Lenon Cartney -- 23 Half-Elf Troubador on Befallen, Retired
WoW: Grishnakh -- 60 Orc Hunter on Malygos, Retired

Kashmiir Battlekat

Quote from: Cyphen Wilder on March 05, 2005, 09:18:35 PM
So I went out and bought this damn game last night :x :lol:  It is pretty nice I have to say.  I am still trying to get used to all this cartoon crap, but other then that I like the seemless environment.  The quest system is pretty cool as well, but at my level it seems like that is the only damn thing to do.  I grinded out my hunter to 11 last night after I bought the game just by loading up on quests and running around collecting stuff from mobs or killng x mobs.  Also, pretty lost on the armor.  Not sure what I am trying to get ahold of as far as upgrades or am I supposed to make my own, etc, etc.   But overall a fun game.  Will still be playing both EQ and WoW.  EQ for the raid content, and WoW for ?

Yeah it took me about 1 week of playing to really get in to the player models, but once it clicks you will see that they do actually fit quite nicely in to the world.

The quest system is pure ownage.

The Professions are pure own. Fail? Sorry no such thing. If you have the skill to memorize the pattern/recipe/plan then you *will* make the item as long as you have all the materials. Zero chance of failure.

Equipment is sorta tough to explain. In the beginning its more like compare 'A' to 'B' and see which is better. As you climb in levels and gain some more experience in general about your class you will begin to understand your needs. Once you see it then all will become quite clear.

WoW is not anything spectacular or 'awe' inspiring. WoW is just simply EQ with all of the bullshit removed and a very fun PvP system.

End game of WoW is very much EQ'ish in the sense that its still equipment based. The better your gear the bigger shit you can kill.

No one who buys WoW should go in disillusioned. Dont think you are going to get some spectacularly innovative game that will be mind blowing.  Keep the game in perspective. It is simply Everquest with better 'everything' and nothing really 'new'. You have seen it all before only now its boiled down in to simpler forms with all the bullshit removed.

:)

Tzvash

i got invited to a 10 day trial of wow. i must say, its very, very pretty. but there are too few classes and races i actually want to play, i find the itemization rather dull, and the community is...a bit different from what im use to. i got to level 20 (the highest you can go on the trial) very, very easily, and was bored quite frequently. it was very easy to find a group, but once i had them, i diddnt really want them. maybe 1 person in 20 that i encountered had any concept of strategy...not that they needed it. fights were entirely too easy. one thing i liked about it was being able to buff while running (instant speed buffs) and being able to dot while running (instant speed dot). i kinda liked how quick regens were outside of battle. i never felt the need to bother to figure out if there was medding in that game, or not. i guess drinking counted since that significantly upped your mana regen. all in all, if i had never played eq, i would love this game. as it is, /yawn.

Denti

It is a very pretty game and fun to play, however it is a game you can play to win. Even raiding is very easy and fun in its own way but it cannot compare to EQ at all.

Another game im trying at the moment (due to frustration about whats going on on the dev-server) is EQ2, seems quite fun at least during the first few levels.

Lenoth

Dorrogtr T`A

Jatrulak

Timberghost

When WoW first came out an awful lot of guilds lost some of their most dedicated players to it.  I'm not looking forward to what happens to our raiding schedule when Vanguard comes out.

For myself, I play EQ2 when I'm feeling too antisocial to play EQ.  It's nice, but it's very different.

Denti

Vanguard wont have the same big impact that WoW had. For once it is really still in an alpha state, secondly its game mechanics are subpar by far to both EQ and WoW. Im far from being impressed by that game.

And even easier for many, just try it out, no need to sell your EQ account as it runs on the stationticket as well.